Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 4:35pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo newaza strategy question

In my judo class we split the 2 hours into 1 hour standing, 1 hour newaza.

During newaza today, we were working on guard passes and defense against guard passes.

The instuctor brought up that in tournaments, typically, judo players will just hold the guy in guard, look at the ref, and wait for time to run out; while jiu jitsu players will be more mobile and dynamic, looking for a sweep and submission.

So my question goes out to the judo guys who compete regularly in shiai (and anyone else who cares to chime in). What is the better/smarter strategy for tournament play: hold them in guard and get stood back up, or go for a sweep and submission?

What is the rationale for your strategy?

(If I can ever catch a break from school, I intend to start competeing in local area tournaments.)

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on whether I feel I can beat the guy in newaza or whether I'd rather stay standing with him.

That's really the key what are your capabilities versus the capabilities of your opponent. Add onto that what is the atmosphere regarding reffing the newaza i.e if the refs are standing people up quickly and you're newaza isn't that stellar then just chilling in the guard for a few seconds before the ref stands up may be the best option.

I think I've only had someone in my guard in a Judo match, maybe, 4 times. Tried a juji once at the uni nationals and the guy got out of it and put me in Yoko shiho gatame, but I escaped. Caught another guy in a traingle, but couldn't finish it and got stood up. Other two times I think I just stalled out.

My newaza in tournaments is pretty much 100% osaekomi finishes from throws. Never submitted anyone in a tournament.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 5:18pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off my back, on a scale of 1-10 confidence, 1 being no confidence, 10 being supremely confident; I feel at about 6 in controling the other player with my hips to get a sweep.

That being said, I understand there is only 25 seconds to make something happen, so maybe the better option is to wait?

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 5:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rule is when "there is no apparent progress." The definition of apparent progress varies from referee to referee, association to association and competition to competition. Depending on the level of the ref and a myriad of other factors.

Its a difficult question to answer and I think it all comes down to specifics, in the moment.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 5:53pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have much experience with Judo, but I agree pretty much wholly with Judoka_uk.

That being said, on a personal level, I think you should also consider what your ultimate objectives are and what kind of fighter you want to be. I've never personally been a fan of the strategy of holding an opponent down and waiting on the ref. But, I would rather keep active and end up losing the match. If your goal is purely winning the tournament, then you should use the strategy that is most effective given your abilities and your confidence with your opponent.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 6:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true. In Judo you should always try and win by ippon. If I'm competing for myself I always try and win by ippon anything less is a bit of a hollow victory.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2011 10:25am

Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMF View Post
    In my judo class we split the 2 hours into 1 hour standing, 1 hour newaza.

During newaza today, we were working on guard passes and defense against guard passes.

The instuctor brought up that in tournaments, typically, judo players will just hold the guy in guard, look at the ref, and wait for time to run out; while jiu jitsu players will be more mobile and dynamic, looking for a sweep and submission.

So my question goes out to the judo guys who compete regularly in shiai (and anyone else who cares to chime in). What is the better/smarter strategy for tournament play: hold them in guard and get stood back up, or go for a sweep and submission?

What is the rationale for your strategy?

(If I can ever catch a break from school, I intend to start competeing in local area tournaments.)
    It's more difficult nowadays to win with newaza because of the change in rules to make judo more spectator-friendly, i.e. stand 'em if there's no apparent activity.

Having said that, I would never advise letting an opportunity go by to win with newaza. It just means you have to be that much better and quicker to apply ground techniques. Unless you feel hopelessly outclassed, or in a very dangerous position (in which case, hang on for dear life and wait for the ref to stand you up), go for the submission.

It could be a lot more dangerous if you end up being in a standing postion again (and getting thrown).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 6:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've won two judo matches off my back with triangle's, although that wasn't against stellar opposition so take it for what you will.

Although to echo Judoka_UK I've fought a few guys who were better than me on the ground so I'd normally just lock up guard or half guard and wait for the stand up.

I don't like being inactive and playing the rules, but when you're in there you don't want to get put out of a tournament because you tried to submit someone from your back and ended up being held down.
    Last edited by herbo1; 3/28/2011 6:32am at .