If we go by the story that's the truth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 10:05pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    trolling aside though, now that you're training with MMA standup guys, why don't you film a sparring session. look for someone with a similar amount of training, do a sparring session with sanda rules - no groundfighting, but throws allowed.
    Give me a couple months to get comfortable with the guys over here, and I'll consider it. I'm not going to ask them to video something after being there for such a short time, that would be a bit awkward. Especially for the sake of satisfying the goons of an internet forum. It would seem more natural to wait for a MMA competition or a Throwdown to come to my area and have a friend film my matches.

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 10:16pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually think waiting a while before pulling out a video camera is reasonable. Now back to this troubling account of one man putting the beat down on some amateur dojo stormers.

First the racial overtones similar to so many urban legends. Do you find this part of the account troubling?

Next, the unrealistic damage to the fallen fighters. How do you explain this?

The students not helping their instructor. Was this cowardice? Or were they so confident they pulled out the popcorn? Or was your instructor so fast, mere humans could not come to his aid fast enough?

Finally, how many additional stories were you told? Please be honest. Were these stories a regular thing? Were even more claims incredible claims made? Did you ever witness anyone from the school fight?

I have nothing against any school or system. As I stated earlier I do not assume any martial works until I see objective evidence.

Look forward to your response.

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 10:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    Give me a couple months to get comfortable with the guys over here,

Seriously if your doing MMA it shouldn't take that long to get comfortable with them. You will see when you suffer through real sparring with other people a bound is almost instantly formed. One that grows surprisingly strong pretty damn quick.

I'm not going to ask them to video something after being there for such a short time, that would be a bit awkward. Especially for the sake of satisfying the goons of an internet forum.
    Most of the legit MMA and BJJ schools I have seen already have a 1/2 a dozen videos up online. I highly doubt any of them would have any issue being on camera.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 10:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give me a couple months to get comfortable with the guys over here, and I'll consider it. I'm not going to ask them to video something after being there for such a short time, that would be a bit awkward. Especially for the sake of satisfying the goons of an internet forum. It would seem more natural to wait for a MMA competition or a Throwdown to come to my area and have a friend film my matches.
    Right. Wait a few months and then take your MMA training back to those bigots and racists you train with. Then you can comeback here and tell us that SS has da real anti-negro defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 11:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    I actually think waiting a while before pulling out a video camera is reasonable. Now back to this troubling account of one man putting the beat down on some amateur dojo stormers.
    First the racial overtones similar to so many urban legends. Do you find this part of the account troubling? Next, the unrealistic damage to the fallen fighters. How do you explain this? The students not helping their instructor. Was this cowardice? Or were they so confident they pulled out the popcorn? Or was your instructor so fast, mere humans could not come to his aid fast enough? Finally, how many additional stories were you told? Please be honest. Were these stories a regular thing? Were even more claims incredible claims made? Did you ever witness anyone from the school fight?
    I have nothing against any school or system. As I stated earlier I do not assume any martial works until I see objective evidence.
    Look forward to your response.
    That was the only multiple opponent story I heard during my time there. The racial component was just an economic fact: our school was located in a economically depressed and predominantly african american neighborhood with a high crime rate..

People came knocking all the time asking about classes, so the students probably assumed it was business as usual. The front door is situated in such a way that it cannot be seen if you are standing in the studio. So, now I'm speculating, the students probably heard the altercation, but didn't realize what was happening until it was over.

I recall Shifu Tan (assistant instructor) and another blackbelt confirming the story that Shifu Townsend told. It was only mentioned in-brief and in-passing once during class, and I wasn't super interested in learning more detail. The other anecdotes I recall from my days in Sacramento are much milder.. One about a bar room brawl which ended quickly, and another about a fight that happened outside a house party, which also ended quickly.

In any case, jovial and cautionary story telling took up minuscule amounts of time compared to time actually training. If you were hanging around the studio, you were - generally speaking - expected to be training or helping someone else train.
    Last edited by Known; 8/14/2012 11:47pm at .

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The racial component was just an economic fact: our school was located in a economically depressed and predominantly african american neighborhood with a high crime rate..
    WOW you don't even see it do you?

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 11:50pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This all seems to reduce down to a scuffle at the door or less. In any case, based on what you have shared Shou Shu remains an unproven martial art that makes extraordinary claims but provides no objective evidence. (Yes this does not prove it does not work, but I go back to my default opinion on any art is that it does not work.)

Do you have any objective evidence that your current school provides effective training?

Administrator

Posted On:

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Nope, he just keeps on going.

I like how the story gets vaguer and vaguer, but it is abundantly clear it was them damn poor, high crime blacks fucking **** up.

You know, the ones he never witnessed doing anything.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/14/2012 11:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    It could have just as easily been a group of white guys living in an economically depressed area with a high crime rate.. or asian guys, hispanic guys.. or even, gasp, a group of rowdy female australian rugby players of ambiguous descent! A very minor point. I'm not sure why you keep harping on this. Just because you get in a fight with someone of a different race, does not mean you are racist.