Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061 6263646571 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 3:42am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoy the opportunity to get creative with my insults, put downs and sarcasm.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 2:44pm

Style: Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Beginners Mind)
    For some reason my account was de-activated, so I created a new one.

I got a reply from the Sacto Police, and it turns out that there is no record of the event which was anecdotally relayed to me 10 years ago. Would also like to report that I found a studio where I can cross train in BJJ and MMA - which has been quite interesting - but has lead to an even deeper respect for Shou Shu, rather than a dramatic conversion experience.

Spoke with my instructor about many of the criticisms we have received here on Bullshido. There is a lot of awareness of within our own system about the common criticisms: ie No shou shu in China, being based in Kenpo and various martial arts that the Moore's brother's were familiar with, having techniques which cannot be executed in full form on the street, etc.

With regards to the former criticisms, we do not see these as a problem based upon the raw power and simplicity of the art as well as the depth and subtlety of the art. Regardless of it's origins, we find it functional, practical, and deep, which is proved time and time again for our students and instructors when they encounter real-life situations requiring them to defend themselves or others.

With regards to the latter criticism, the techniques of Shou shu are meant to act as one element of the training regime (including bag & pad work, weapons training, sparring, drills, kata, etc) which prepare you move properly and execute power in a smooth and flowing way.

Advancing Daggers, which I mentioned before, when taken apart represents one possible way to effectively stop from being pushed off balance while positioning yourself well to deliver a follow-up strike or a number of follow-up strikes, as the situation allows. And to deliver those strikes with proper body mechanics, in such a way which one strike naturally leads to the next, and based upon the opponent's most likely body position.. Much like a boxer trains to do a series of punches based upon his opponent's likely body position and hand position after being struck in the ribs, or head, or guard, etc, and then when really boxing, simply reacts using whatever naturally comes out based upon training.

For something more simple.. one of the first techniques of our system (on the Yellow card) is a downward kick to the knee followed by a swift chop to the throat. Simple, quick, effective.
    Last edited by Known; 8/13/2012 2:53pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:02pm

Style: KK

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Known View Post
    (Beginners Mind)
    For some reason my account was de-activated, so I created a new one.....blah blah blah.
    While everyone is recovering from our collective astonishment that your 8 vs 1 story is, in fact, complete fabrication, I will simply say this: Show up to a throwdown and spar someone with your Shou Shu, or just stop posting. Do you live in the states? Which area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    While everyone is recovering from our collective astonishment that your 8 vs 1 story is, in fact, complete fabrication, I will simply say this: Show up to a throwdown and spar someone with your Shou Shu, or just stop posting. Do you live in the states? Which area?
    Just because there is no police report, does not mean the event didn't occur or that similar events did not occur, but it does mean that I have no third reliable source to back-up my statements. So, I'll drop the issue.

I live in South Carolina. I plan on coming to a Throwdown at my earliest convenience. Anything happening in my area?
    Last edited by Known; 8/13/2012 3:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:19pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because there is no police report, does not mean the event didn't occur or that similar events did not occur, but it does mean that I have no third reliable source to back-up my statements. So, I'll drop the issue.

I live in South Carolina. I plan on coming to a Throwdown at my earliest convenience. Anything happening in my area?
    No, it didn't happen. So, moving on, maybe some of the southern bullies have something in store for a throwdown. I, unfortunately (well, unfortunately for this purpose...otherwise very fortunately) live in the Seattle area and cannot take a stab at defending against the deadly downward knee kick into throat chop. I do sincerely hope that you're serious about having started training MMA. Do you have a link to the school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a link to the school?
    Not comfortable disclosing that.. Way too close to home.

No, it didn't happen.
    Horrible logic.

Live in the Seattle area and cannot take a stab at defending against the deadly downward knee kick into throat chop.
    Or the all-powerful groin kick to side-fist combination.
    :ExcitedTroll:
    Last edited by Known; 8/13/2012 3:34pm at .

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:35pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the training regime (including bag & pad work, weapons training, sparring, drills, kata, etc)
    *cough*

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Horrible logic.
    No, horrible logic goes something like this:

I have no proof, but IT REALLY DID HAPPEN.

LOL...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:37pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the common criticisms: ie No shou shu in China, being based in Kenpo and various martial arts that the Moore's brother's were familiar with, having techniques which cannot be executed in full form on the street, etc.
    Read more at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...hMlJ4m4FAtJ.99
    nope, that's not what we said.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember convincing an idiot, when he found a thread calling bullshit on my former art, that everyone else was wrong about our McDojo System.
    Turned out he was right and I was the idiot.

Yep Beginner's mind you are the idiot and your teacher filled you full of kool-aid.