Administrator

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You still haven't been able to find sparing videos.
    Hey look I can show you videos of one of the coaches I work with. You see when you go to a place that actually produces good people finding video of them doing their thing isn't hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9erKI3pxUWQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwuGkwCSUs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE_c...c&feature=plcp
    Here is a compilation from one of our in house
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZ6...A&feature=plcp
    Pish Tosh, no bouncers or special forces, sport bleh.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Pish Tosh, no bouncers or special forces, sport bleh.
    Would it help to say that he does teach Navy Seals (and more importantly their Kids), LEOS, and all the other bullshit?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:21pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Would it help to say that he does teach Navy Seals (and more importantly their Kids), LEOS, and all the other bullshit?
    Proof please. The only people teaching special forces are Ninjas and Shou Shu instructors that injure students. They don't train sport because it only works on the Mat or in the ring.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:27pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw this picture and thought of this thread

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and just for fun here is a 16 year old whom I have trained with when he would come out to East Lake JJ that would kill your Special Forces Sifu Forster (someone who has been training for 26+ years) in a one on one h2h fight.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    I'm referring to only trapping and NOT tying up. Does that make more sense?

And in MMA if you only use hands during clinch you're going to get buttrammed.
    Totally voicing support amigo! I added the example to demonstrate that even styles which profess "no grappling" there's still some grabbing and shoving as part of the game.

You are absolutely right about trap hands by themself. "Only trapping" basically equates to the classic "slappy wimp fight" and will most certainly NOT prevail over somebody who actually wants to hurt you. (Though a trappy slapper may emerge Queen of stuffed animal tea partys...)

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 7:38pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginners Mind View Post
    I have provided the best case that I can. I am still hoping to track down some sparring video and am waiting on the police report. Either way, we have several people highly ranked in our system who work in professions which require them to use their skills.

Anytime I present something which does not compute (the assumption being that we are fake and don't really learn to fight at our school) I am called a liar. One of our second degree blackbelts belongs to Special Forces and uses his Shou Shu to defend his life. I provided a link to that. Some of the guys I trained with 10 years ago work as bouncers. My current teacher works security in a crappy part of SC and regularly uses his Shou Shu on the job. Our low belts regularly report that they have defended themselves in real-life conflict.

This runs counter to your arguments. The argument that Matt Thornton is making is this, if you train against a dead, non-resisting opponent, then in real life what you have learned will only work against dead floppy opponents. We don't train that way (dead and floppy), and as a consequence our stuff has been proven to work through the direct experiences of our students time and time again.
    For the record dead non-alive training can be brutal and exhausting. I have personally engaged in choreographed training patterns that pushed me to my physical limits. The punches and kicks were thrown at full speed and strength and easily could have knocked a person out if they landed. None of this magically turns it into live training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 8:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    For the record dead non-alive training can be brutal and exhausting. I have personally engaged in choreographed training patterns that pushed me to my physical limits. The punches and kicks were thrown at full speed and strength and easily could have knocked a person out if they landed. None of this magically turns it into live training.
    The choreography is what makes them dead and there in lies the problem with how forms are trained IMO.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 8:59pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking back on the choreographed stuff, that was always the issue. Of the dangerous moves like eyepokes, groin strikes, and breaks you end up with two categories: 1) stuff that doesn' t work and 2) stuff that works that you never tested. And you don't know which is which.
  10. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Actually, no.
    It will probably be pointed out that it in no way vindicates SS, because that's the truth.
    HAHAHA! See that? Even if we can back up our claims to be able to take on multiple resistant attackers in real-life situations, we are sill an invalid/dead art. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by Beginners Mind; 7/26/2012 10:08pm at .