Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 253132333435 3637383945 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    - You can hit vital nerve/pressure points at will, on a moving, defending target.
    - When/if you do hit them, that your opponent reacts the way you've been shown.
    - You can chain large combo's together before your opponent can react.
    - You can do either of the first or third before they attack/counter-attack you.
    Just for starters.
    Wow. To see it condensed like this makes me wonder, is this guy doing shou shu or S.C.A.R.S.?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 10:54pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginners Mind View Post
    If you kind and caring folks would slow down long enough to listen to me, it's conceivable that my mind is not entirely filled with.. Well, you know.

:friends:
    There are 342 posts, right now, in this thread and you keep saying the same thing in different ways. YOU need to slow down not us.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 10:58pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you kind and caring folks would slow down long enough to listen to me, it's conceivable that my mind is not entirely filled with.. Well, you know.

:friends:
    Conceivable, but not likely judging by your posts.

We read posts like this EVERY SINGLE DAY from different people. It's the curse and glory of this website.

We don't need to slow down, you need to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:03pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BM....i was you 8 years ago when I first ..i thank my lucky stars every day..stumbled onto this site. The difference was that I actually read what the fine people here wrote, viewed the videos, read the descriptions of aliveness, opened my mind and violla quickly abandoned my mcdojo krav maga for bjj. It's one thing to get fit, learn how to throw a punch or kick, and learn prescripted moves. That isn't a bad thing. But The bottom line is that you never know how your opponent will react IF you manage to hit him.

Im not knocking krav btw..im knocking the way it was taught in the school i went to. Groin kick..etc. I got my balls squashed just last week, yet still kept rolling. Adrenaline is a funny thing.

These people are REALLY trying to help you and will be very forgiving when you reach your own moment of enlightenment.

Until then...please keep up the hip bone is connected to the thighbone stuff, because it is very entertaining to read.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:11pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've addressed all of these questions in whole or in part previously. But here we go:
    Do you remember that time when I said you're not hearing what you want to but what you need to, you just don't want to hear it...

Why I think it's effective?
    FTFY. let's have a look

The fundamentals of the art are sound in terms of generating speed, power, fluidity, and efficient reactions to various attacks.
    Sound? Compared to what? Why are they only sound? How do you know what their merits are?

I have sparred with blackbelts of other arts - even badly out of shape - and not gotten my head handed to me.
    Which arts under what rules? Was getting your head handed to you the goal of the sparring?

How to effect change in myself? Spar with other styles as much as I can moving forwards, goto competitions, and cross train in ground fighting.
    I was actually referring to your quest to improve the art itself. ^This is the smartest thing you've posted in this thread.

As for my assumptions? I can't personally hit vital points at will currently
    but you assume that you will be able to, in an alive environment, with more training.

but I see no harm and great benefit in training myself to strike vital points without needing to think about it.
    Assuming you can in an alive environment.

Secondly, when we strike vital points we do not necessarily depend on the opponent moving for us in all cases;
    I'm not talking about you moving them, I'm talking about them moving in a different way than you expect before/after you've hit them. Rather than them just standing there like a stunned mullet while you do your choreographed performance.

in advancing daggers, you shift your full body weight into the ribs, then to the throat, then the solar plexus, so your bone alignment moves their body regardless of their natural reaction.
    I'm pretty sure that the only way to help you drop this bullshit assumption is to have someone ram their fist through your nose and squeeze the crap out of your brain like a soiled sponge as you are deftly aligning your bones for your next sequence step.

Third, in terms of delivering combos, why is it acceptable for a boxer to drill hitting several targets in a row, but not for a martial artists to train hitting several targets in a row.
    Yet another strawman. Who said you couldn't (or shouldn't) train combo's? It's how you train them that matters. Take a classic boxing drill, one-two combo and duck. After each strike the defence/guard is resumed and it allows for a counter-attack within a fraction of a second from the first strike. It is often drilled moving around with moving pads (targets) which develops range and timing. This is not even in the same sport (let alone league) as a 20-odd move chain-combo against a stationary target that is completely unable to defend or move for a whole two seconds.

The training, in my opinion, should not become rote, robotic, and "crunchy."
    Which is exactly what your 'advancing dagger' drill achieves (robotic and "crunchy", that is).

As the aliveness video stated, you need to be able to react to according to what is occurring spontaneously and not according to your pre-determined plan of attack. You need to apply what is available according to the openings and resistance the opponent is giving you, and not according to your pre-drilled maneuvers.
    What? Like the advancing dagger set pattern.....
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 7/23/2012 11:14pm at .
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  6. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:12pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    Until then...please keep up the hip bone is connected to the thighbone stuff, because it is very entertaining to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Wow. To see it condensed like this makes me wonder, is this guy doing shou shu or S.C.A.R.S.?
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Conceivable, but not likely judging by your posts.
    We read posts like this EVERY SINGLE DAY from different people. It's the curse and glory of this website.
    We don't need to slow down, you need to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    There are 342 posts, right now, in this thread and you keep saying the same thing in different ways. YOU need to slow down not us.
    More pejorative comments which add no content to the conversation.. Been dealing with these all day..

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoUP View Post
    I actually read what the fine people here wrote, viewed the videos, read the descriptions of aliveness, opened my mind and violla quickly abandoned my mcdojo krav maga for bjj.
    I'm in agreement with anti-Mcdojoism. I'm in agreement with aliveness. I'm in agreement with cross training in ground fighting. I'm in agreement with fighting resistant opponents in sparring situations as opposed to heavy emphasis on non-resisting opponents, emphasis on forms, emphasis on rote drills, etc.

On the other hand, I don't see my style - generally speaking, with some exceptions - falling prey to these faults. We definitely have our problems and weaknesses, but I don't see those as fatal flaws. Any flaws we do have, I'm confident I can personally overcome by cross training in ground fighting, competitions, and sparring with non-Shou Shu people.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:19pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More pejorative comments which add no content to the conversation.. Been dealing with these all day..
    And will continue doing so if you continue the way you are going.

I'm in agreement with anti-Mcdojoism. I'm in agreement with aliveness. I'm in agreement with cross training in ground fighting. I'm in agreement with fighting resistant opponents in sparring situations as opposed to heavy emphasis on non-resisting opponents, emphasis on forms, emphasis on rote drills, etc.
    Good.

On the other hand, I don't see my style - generally speaking, with some exceptions - falling prey to these faults. We definitely have our problems and weaknesses, but I don't see those as fatal flaws.
    FFS.
    Any flaws we do have, I'm confident I can personally overcome by cross training in ground fighting, competitions, and sparring with non-Shou Shu people.
    I look forward to that moment where you do all of this and go, "****, they were right" and come back here and suck everyone's e-penis through the cyber glory hole.

8. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Do you remember that time when I said you're not hearing what you want to but what you need to, you just don't want to hear it...

FTFY. let's have a look

Sound? Compared to what? Why are they only sound? How do you know what their merits are?

Which arts under what rules? Was getting your head handed to you the goal of the sparring?

I was actually referring to your quest to improve the art itself. ^This is the smartest thing you've posted in this thread.

but you assume that you will be able to, in an alive environment, with more training.

Assuming you can in an alive environment.

I'm not talking about you moving them, I'm talking about them moving in a different way than you expect before/after you've hit them. Rather than them just standing there like a stunned mullet while you do your choreographed performance.

I'm pretty sure that the only way to help you drop this bullshit assumption is to have someone ram their fist through your nose and squeeze the crap out of your brain like a soiled sponge as you are deftly aligning your bones for your next sequence step.

Yet another strawman. Who said you couldn't (or shouldn't) train combo's? It's how you train them that matters. Take a classic boxing drill, one-two combo and duck. After each strike the defence/guard is resumed and it allows for a counter-attack within a fraction of a second from the first strike. It is often drilled moving around with moving pads (targets) which develops range and timing. This is not even in the same sport (let alone league) as a 20-odd move chain-combo against a stationary target that is completely unable to defend or move for a whole two seconds.

Which is exactly what your 'advancing dagger' drill achieves (robotic and "crunchy", that is).

What? Like the advancing dagger set pattern.....
    Sound compared to the other arts I've encountered, sparred, and viewed from afar.

Nerve clusters? Vital organs? We are talking about areas of the forarms, biceps, ribs, plexus, throat, neck, spine, groin, eyes, ears, nose... It's not a huge stretch. I'm not talking about "Hitting ten vital points so that their heart stops and their head explodes." I'm talking about delivering a quick punch to the plexus, kidney, neck, etc.

With regards to bone alignment, etc, I assumed incorrectly that was discussed in all martial arts. You aren't thinking about this crap when throwing a punch or a kick, you just throw the kick when you see an opening, then deliver an elbow if there is another opening, etc. You train the posture to forget the posture.

With regards to the boxing analogy, choose any sport you want. My point is that drilling is a legitimate way to *start* the process of building proper technique, regardless of the discipline. Shou shu is no different. In a real situation, you may only get the chance to deliver a block and a strike, but if more is open.. you will automatically fill that gap appropriately without thinking about it. Assuming, of course, you have trained your drills, your forms, your sparring, and so on, and that random thoughts in your mind like "Should i step to a horse or a hard bow? Should I knee or do a punch?" Do not pop up and create a timing gap.

:Milk:

Advancing daggers is anything but crunchy. You make it sound like drilling, at all, is pointless. I think that is going too far. Our drills - which we call techniques - are pretty sexy.
    Last edited by Beginners Mind; 7/23/2012 11:33pm at .
  9. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I look forward to that moment where you do all of this and go, "****, they were right" and come back here and suck everyone's e-penis through the cyber glory hole.
    You sound like a guy with experience.
    That moment will not occur.

I am committed to learning my style and improving my training methods if necessary to become more effective within my art.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 11:38pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fixed.