Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 232425263272 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I'm going to be very honest. You seen video of what I consider good training for a realistic environment. I haven't seen nothing on that level from all the videos of Shou Shu I've viewed. I usually try to find something to take away but haven't seen anything. What am I going to get from Shou Shu that isn't covered better in the just the two videos I posted?

Since you are in SC I would really like you to attend a Bullshido Throwdown if there is one close to you. We like to get together and actually beat the crap out of each other for fun. I feel if you attend one of these events you will get a better idea of why we are so big on proof of actual training and what alive training truly means.
    That would be epic! I would love to come!
    Are there often throwdowns in SC??
  2. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    What am I going to get from Shou Shu that isn't covered better in the just the two videos I posted?
    If you can find good quality training anywhere and with any style, then stick with it. I don't claim that Shou Shu is the single, most ultimate form of martial arts. There are many effective martial artists from every background and many effective ways to train.

We Shou Shu practitioners could learn a lot by cross training in some kind of ground fighting. We could also probably use more exercises like the one you showed in your video. We definitely need to start going to open competitions to show us where our weaknesses and strengths are, both as an art and as individuals.

I also feel compelled to say there is a great richness and depth to the art of Shou Shu, there is enough technique and subtlety to spend a lifetime on far beyond just the basics of stances, shifting, turning the hips, body positioning, and reacting to the opponent. Then again, we all feel this way about our individual arts.
    Last edited by Beginners Mind; 7/23/2012 4:42pm at .

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:35pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Shou Shu most certainly is not one of them based on the evidence - and more significantly lack thereof - produced so far

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginners Mind View Post
    I called them after I posted that. They are legally bound not to release police reports to people who were not directly involved in an indecent.
    I think you're lying.

What is the California Public Records Act?

In 1968, the California Legislature enacted the California Public Records Act (CPRA) under Government Code (GC) sections 6250-6270. In its findings and declarations, mindful of the right of individuals' privacy, the Legislature declared it was the publics right to access information concerning the peoples business.

What is a Public Record?

As defined in the Public Records Act, GC 6252 "public records include any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the public's business prepared, owned, used or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics."

Police Reports

Based on this definition, the report of crimes and incidents written in the course of business of a law enforcement agency are public records and subject to release under CPRA with some exemptions.

Who can initiate a Public Records request?

Any person can make a Public Records request.

However public disclosure is regulated by several different statutes dependent upon on the record.

Such resources are Government Code 6250 et .seq. and 34090.6, Welfare and Institutions Code 827, California Vehicle Code 20012, Penal Code 841.5, 293, 11167.5 and 13300.

What types of records are available?

The law requires law enforcement agencies to provide information the public has the right to know and at the same time, to withhold information if the release would jeopardize an individual's right to privacy.

All agency records not exempted by statutory of case law are available. Certain records or portions of records are subject to privacy laws and/or other exemptions and are rarely ever available for viewing. Common public records requests are for:

Arrest logs
    Calls for service logs
    Statistics
    Crime reports
    Accident reports

It is the responsibility of the law enforcement agencies to allow the public access to certain information obtained during the normal course of daily business.
  5. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    And Shou Shu most certainly is not one of them based on the evidence - and more significantly lack thereof - produced so far
    There are no great arts, only great artists.

Shou Shu has the material available for any person - within reason - to become a formidable human being... The same is true of boxing, aikido, hsing-i, and the whole plethora of other arts. Its up to the individual to turn that mere data into actual capability through hard work.
  6. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I think you're lying.
    Sweet jebus. Just call the Sacramento Police Records Dept and listen to their automated messages. Did that.. still talked to an operator, she said, "I can't give you any information, sir, unless you are directly involved in the case."

Here's the phone number:
    (916) 808-0620

The studio where the event occurred was:
    5023 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento, CA 95820
    Moore's Karate

The martial artists name who was attacked by the men is:
    Shun Shifu Jeff Townsend

Witnesses include:
    Several of his students were there when the incident occurred.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't need to.
    You need to support your claim, not me.
    I posted the reason why i think you're lying.
    Ball's in your court.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 5:02pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginners Mind View Post
    There are no great arts, only great artists.

Shou Shu has the material available for any person - within reason - to become a formidable human being... The same is true of boxing, aikido, hsing-i, and the whole plethora of other arts. Its up to the individual to turn that mere data into actual capability through hard work.
    This is a very tired argument... "it's not the art, it's the artist" is something of a cop-out. Of course people's fighting ability, stamina, strength, etc. are factors, but there ARE styles out there that are less effective than others. Compare 10 years "hard work" in a LARPing style like booj to 10 years' hard work in MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing or Judo, where you'll find (usually) much more rigorous training than your compliant arts and also, of course, pressure-testing against a resisting opponent.

This is like saying "there are no great cars, just great drivers" - of course there are. Along those same lines, 10 years of driving around the cul-de-sac at 25mph, no matter how good you get at it, is not going to make you a competent racer.

Yes, some MA's are simply better than others. Let's not get into the "what is 'better'" argument, please.
  9. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I don't need to.
    You need to support your claim, not me.
    I posted the reason why i think you're lying.
    Ball's in your court.
    And I responded. You are one telephone call away from proving to yourself what I already said was true. What else can I say on this point?

Want me to have them fax a written letter to you stating they can't release police records to people not involved in case?

;)
  10. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    This is a very tired argument... "it's not the art, it's the artist" is something of a cop-out. Of course people's fighting ability, stamina, strength, etc. are factors, but there ARE styles out there that are less effective than others. Compare 10 years "hard work" in a LARPing style like booj to 10 years' hard work in MMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing or Judo, where you'll find (usually) much more rigorous training than your compliant arts and also, of course, pressure-testing against a resisting opponent.

This is like saying "there are no great cars, just great drivers" - of course there are. Along those same lines, 10 years of driving around the cul-de-sac at 25mph, no matter how good you get at it, is not going to make you a competent racer.

Yes, some MA's are simply better than others. Let's not get into the "what is 'better'" argument, please.
    I was too general. I agree, there are some crappy arts out there. But among the "fast cars" it is indeed the artist and not the art itself.