Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginners Mind View Post
    What does "works" mean, in this context?
    Oh god, I can't stop laughing at this. Weakest counterpoint ever.

What makes a martial art "working" vs "not working?" Isn't that depended on the greater context? Time and place in history and the specific situation at hand?
    Well... I'll answer your question with a question:

Does the martial art being discussed have proven effectiveness against live resisting opponents with intent to do harm upon the practitioner?
  2. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerstörer90 View Post
    We've also suggested, on multiple occasions, that the "skills" you have are greatly inflated in your own mind, and wont work as well as you think against committed real attacks.
    I'm not making claims about my own capability. My interest in the martial arts is more about personal discipline and the development of good human qualities: humility, respect, compassion, concentration, and so forth. Developing good qualities is actually much more practical than being able to defend yourself against 10 guys. You need concentration everyday, you need to defend yourself against 10 people... pretty much never.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Yes, you should. As long as they are not equal or greater than your skill level, you are paying attention to what is happening, and you have luck on your side that day.
    They don't have to be greater or equal to your skill level. I don't care how much attention you pay you are on the losing side. Bottomline you have be lucky several times they have to be lucky just once.
    2. Quite true, if one person of equal or greater skill is in the group, you're probably not going to win.
    Of course it true got a lot of experience with this.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, pardon, pardon. Your right, if you put a spear in your hand and start fighting other armed opponents, then it's no longer Xingyi ;P
    Can you read? Did you miss the "There is a reason why Xingyi has weapons forms." Do you actually know anything about Xingyi?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:30pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not making claims about my own capability.
    Only about the capabilities of these "masters" who are teaching you these ineffective techniques and are responsible for falsely inflating your confidence in them, without proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Beginners Mind
    My interest in the martial arts is more about personal discipline and the development of good human qualities: humility, respect, compassion, concentration, and so forth. Developing good qualities is actually much more practical than being able to defend yourself against 10 guys. You need concentration everyday, you need to defend yourself against 10 people... pretty much never.
    This isn't what the thread is about. This has nothing to do with your claims... This is a red herring.
  6. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god, I can't stop laughing at this.
    If "works" is defined as "being able to fulfill the real-life purposes for which you have engaged in the training activity," then being able to control pissed off drunk people is partial proof of functionality. You were able to use what you learned in real-life to bring about the intended or desired results.
  7. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Can you read? Did you miss the "There is a reason why Xingyi has weapons forms." Do you actually know anything about Xingyi?
    (that was sarcasm) I was pointing out that Xingyi - with weapons, against multiple attackers - is still Xingyi.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (that was sarcasm) I was pointing out that Xingyi - with weapons, against multiple attackers - is still Xingyi.
    My meter is broken. I was putting out Xingyi has weapons because they are an equalizer increases your odds but not a gaurantee.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh
  9. Beginners Mind

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only about the capabilities of these "masters" who are teaching you these ineffective techniques and are responsible for falsely inflating your confidence in them, without proof.
    Well, good sir, as I have said many times: Prepare for contingencies as best you are able; when it comes down to real-life conflict, all you have is your skill, concentration, and luck. We train to move from one opponent to the next fluidly. Whether or not that training can become reality is determined by the individual and the circumstance.

Posted On:
    7/23/2012 12:40pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If "works" is defined as "being able to fulfill the real-life purposes for which you have engaged in the training activity," then being able to control pissed off drunk people is partial proof of functionality. You were able to use what you learned in real-life to bring about the intended or desired results.
    Are you saying it is ok to train for the lowest level? That is like saying my car is fast compared to a tricycle but when matched up with other cars it gets blown away its not really doing you much good.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh
Page 10 of 75 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213142060 ... LastLast