--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hong Kong, 2010: Ip Man 2

Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster
    Hong Kong, 2010
    Genre: Action, Historical
    108 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386932/

Donnie Yen returns as the Wing Chun master Ip Man as he struggles to teach martial arts in British-controlled Hong Kong.

Ip Man 2 picks up almost right where the first film left off, with our hero settling into his new home after fleeing from the Japanese in Foshan. Many of the cast from the previous installment reprise their roles, including Simon Yam, Louis Fan, and Lynn Hung. Veteran actors Kent Cheng and Sammo Hung join them on-screen, truly making this a star-studded affair. The story is essentially a re-hash of the last one, with Ip Man trying to fit in and teach his style of martial arts amidst foreign oppression. The villains are similarly one-note and caricaturized, leading to some absolutely hilarious hammed performances by the British antagonists. Yen and the supporting cast do well by comparison, but in the end the story is so blatantly nationalistic and contrived that it becomes hard to take anyone seriously. Even despite not securing the rights to feature Bruce Lee prominently, they couldnít resist tagging him along at the end, just to say they did.

Announced even before the first Ip Man film was released, director Wilson Yip made sure to bring all the bells and whistles to the production of the sequel. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous to behold, every shot taken with care and precision. It captures a sort of romantically harsh image of Hong Kong under British rule, definitely more hopeful and light-hearted than its predecessor. The score is appropriately optimistic and prideful, hitting all the right emotional notes when called for. Itís hard to say whether everything came together too obviously, but the story itself somewhat contributes to this. Regardless, all the production values of the film are very solid, delivering a solid aesthetic experience to the audience.

Sammo Hung returns to the franchise as fight choreographer, and itís fantastic to see his work again. Everything from the first movie is back and even bigger than before. There are more style on style matches than you can shake a stick at, and every fighter is endowed with great personality and character. The fights are fast-paced and are all nail-biters. The wire-fu goes just a little over the top, as does the cheesiness of the villain showdowns, but these sorts of things are to be expected in modern kung fu cinema. Yen and Hung do spectacularly, performing like true seasoned professionals. Newcomer Huang Xiaoming trained extensively before and during shooting to learn the art of Wing Chun, and his hard work shows. With a great blend between the classical and the modern, Ip Man 2 is great fun to watch, even with the blatant nationalist sentiment. Impressive visuals and even better fights, this is a great popcorn movie for anyone with an interest in Hong Kong film or martial arts movies.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...iday-ip-man-2/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 1:05am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice Review. It's good to see I wasn't the only one who noticed the extreme Nationalism at the end. It offended Karate so bad :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 8:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the movie sucked and I did not notice many of what the review praised such as fights, cinematography, choreographer and i did not even notice the music.
    The overly nationalistic theme is the icing on this “uneatable cake”.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so what did you notice?
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2011 3:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen most new kung fu movies in Chinese so I admit it can be hard to follow along, the ones that seem well I will watch again when an English version comes out. I might get a more out of the movie the second time since I won’t be trying to read dialogue.

That being said take away the nationalistic plot which is contrived even for a kung fu movie the action was not impressive and the cinematography to me does not seem on par with other notable movies of today. If a kung fu film is not going to deliver on the action part the other areas seem moot but I really dont think this movie has anything to be remember for except it tired theme.

I cant really say I liked anything about the movie but I am still glad you are a consistent reviewer.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 9:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw it today on the big screen third favorite chun movie of all time. Nationalistic plot is a staple of KF movies. The wire work was minimal which is great. You could tell what scenes Sammo had a hand in and all the cameos were awesome.

I disagree that the plot was anymore contrived than the 100 other nationalistic plots and that includes bruce lee movies. I enjoyed that the boxing actually worked and they actually used the chain punches of death as a diversionary attack to open other areas of the body. I like that they toned down the invincibility of the chun. I also enjoyed the homage to Style vs. Style that is missed in all of the new movies.

I would have seen this sooner if either of you boneheads would have commented on the cameos in that movie.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice review. I look forward to seeing it myself. (And then posting my own review! lol)

third favorite chun movie of all time.
    Prodigal Son and Ip Man 1?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 10:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    which cameo did i miss? i thought i hit all the big ones.

the plot's not really any more contrived than the other recent KF films, but that doesn't mean it's not contrived.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You got one. Choreography wise I actually like IP2 better than IP. The story in one, although a downer, is much better in IP. The second for me is Warriors 2.

IP is number 4.

which cameo did i miss? i thought i hit all the big ones.
    You are like twelve or thirteen or something, you missed the ones that would be important to me and probably Judoowned.

Lo Meng,The guy who fought using monkey, better known as "The Toad" from 5 Deadly Venoms and a billion other Shaw Brother movies.

Also Fung Hak-On, the guy who fought using bagua, was a staple Bad Guy back in the day.

the plot's not really any more contrived than the other recent KF films, but that doesn't mean it's not contrived.
    Go read chain's post and then read mine it'll make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch
    That being said take away the nationalistic plot which is contrived even for a kung fu movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Iif
    I disagree that the plot was anymore contrived than the 100 other nationalistic plots and that includes bruce lee movies.
    That includes your "recent KF films" in my comment. In other words, you and I agree.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I'm not that young, but I'm not that old either. sorry i missed the ones for you guys, i'll dig extra deep into research for my next kf film.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast