My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/10/2011 7:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lol, hit by a train is exactly how my mate described Adams Ko uchi after he got picked to be uke at a Adams seminar we went too. Adams performed just the tsukuri for Ko uchi without using the hands or a sweep and sent him, an 80kg, flying about 6ft. Adams was able to do that when he was 50 years old, imagine the power when he was 25!

I think you (general you) really have to get on the mat and see that kind of thing to see what the capabilities of a Judo world champion are and to really get a handle on what good Judo is. Staying in your nice safe little pond of YMCA Judo means you have no idea what the big boys are truly capable of.
    I bet Adams may be a bit slower than he was, but he is probably much more "powerful" and coordinated now.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    There are a lot of Tai Otoshi videos on JudoInfo.com. The one posted here of PTNippon is sufficient.

What type of comments are you looking for? If you want advice, it would be better to post video of yourself doing the throw in question.

Ben
    The clip I was referring to showed tori entering the throw almost like a discus thrower going into a forceful spin. At any rate, my basic question about the weight distribution on the feet has been answered, and I'll just have to practice to get it down right.

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 5:41pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outis View Post
    The clip I was referring to showed tori entering the throw almost like a discus thrower going into a forceful spin. At any rate, my basic question about the weight distribution on the feet has been answered, and I'll just have to practice to get it down right.
    I bet you're talking about a mawarikomi (spinning entry) tai otoshi. Advanced! Lee Won Hee does a spectacular version.

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 6:03pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of those are seoiotoshi. George Harris did that way back in the 1950's and 1960's. The taiotoshi is also great. The one and only photo of my seoiotoshi\:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30187082@N07/5530076987/
    Last edited by dustymars; 3/15/2011 6:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 10:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like most of the Kamstra stuff that's good material, my only concern with it is that you would have to carefully monitor the drill, because it would be very easy with the turn out to the side and then placing of the outstretched leg to end up with wonky weight distribution.

Rainer, you thoughts would be appreciated here, if you have time.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104801
    Been a little tied up, but still plan to reply to that link. :-)

-Rainer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 10:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, hit by a train is exactly how my mate described Adams Ko uchi after he got picked to be uke at a Adams seminar we went too. Adams performed just the tsukuri for Ko uchi without using the hands or a sweep and sent him, an 80kg, flying about 6ft. Adams was able to do that when he was 50 years old, imagine the power when he was 25!

I think you (general you) really have to get on the mat and see that kind of thing to see what the capabilities of a Judo world champion are and to really get a handle on what good Judo is. Staying in your nice safe little pond of YMCA Judo means you have no idea what the big boys are truly capable of.
    I remember being hit by the pre-Bullet train called the 'Okano Express' back in 1971. The method of transportation was his kouchi-gari. I still find amazing how much force can be generated in such a short distance.

It was like being hit by a fullback who took a run at you at full tilt from 10 feet away. Power in the extreme.

-Rainer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the clip I was talking about:

http://judoinfo.com/video/gokyo/TaiOtoshi.wmv

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 12:49pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's how Sato does it in the video I posted up the thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc1tu...mbedded#at=275

It's a standard 3-step tai otoshi, except that the person in the video has started with his foot a the top of the triangle (step 1), so he's only doing two steps.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of drills done in Judo involve starting t-ed up already, or with uke in shizenhontai (square stance), especially static uchikomi type drills whether doing tsurikomi or a specific throw.

This is a shortcut and basically starts uke and tori out where they want to end up-at the top of the triangle/t-ed up, instead of with uke and tori in a migi or hidari shizentai (apologies to tao.jones and tom kagan et al).

The shortcut is OK when first learning stuff, but eventually, you have to do uchikomi and nagekomi with uke and tori in right or left posture, or much frustration will ensue in randori and shiai. Nobody any good stands around in shizenhontai (square stance), unless they are Mifune, in which case there isn't much hope anyway.

The point is, practice uchikomi and nagekomi from practical posture/grip relationships (moving too of course) between uke and tori, and understand that uke in square stance is a training shortcut to practice a specific stage of the throw.

Ben
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345