Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 10:58pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Solo Training (Im stuck doing it)

Just like the title says, I am stuck doing solo training. I am deployed and work a night shift. They have BJJ classes here but it is during my shift and on the adjacent FOB so I cant just sneak away for 60 min at the local fight room.

I am surrounded by a bunch of pansies that do not want to train, we had a contracted company available to teach BJJ, MMA, and Army combatives. I was the only person showing up for 3 weeks straight so the contract was shitcanned. I have sought out other soldiers but no one is interested

So all I have at my disposal are 3 heavy bags, my bag gloves, wraps, and my jump rope

My base style is wrestling but thats kind of out at the moment so I figure I will get competent in striking. I boxed in the past and can still throw proper punches but i am obviously rusty

1. What are some drills for reinforcing blocking punches?
    I found that to be my weakest point during the previous 3 weeks.

2. Drills for increasing reaction timing?

3. What are some kicking drills I can do?

*I am a Soldier in the United States Army and am deployed to Iraq. I am already at a high level of fitness as I have certain goals after this deployment so please refrain from the standard "get in shape", lets leave that part out :)

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/09/2011 11:54am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you're asking for is virtually impossible without a partner. Timing and blocking in particular.

I'd say you are best off to focus on your basic shadow boxing and bag work for a while, until you can find a skilled partner to train with.

Is there a bulletin board in the fight room?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No the local fight room is effectively shut down. the equipment sits in a locked tent
    our regular gym has a few heavy bags so i am stuck there. the thing is the bulletin board wont work. the other trainers were advertising for months and there were flyers put up...i would put it out in my meetings and NOTHING. no one was even remotely interested

**** guess i am stuck pounding on the heavy bag, shadow boxing, and conditioning
    at least i wont have to worry about gassing out when i finally get partners

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 1:45am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like tao.jonez said, gonna be hard to work your blocking without a partner. One exercise we often do for that, is wall drills. Back to the wall, just defending, your partner punching the **** out of you for the round.

You could do a lot of other useful things solo, like work on your footwork, ie: moving in half-steps, not moving straight backwards, not having a stance that it too wide or too long, bring every punch back home ( don't let it drop after punching ). All those kinds of "little" details can definitely be worked on. Lots of stuff you can do.

Sucks that you don't have anyone who wants to also train. Hope it works out.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 3:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kazimer View Post
    Just like the title says, I am stuck doing solo training. I am deployed and work a night shift. They have BJJ classes here but it is during my shift and on the adjacent FOB so I cant just sneak away for 60 min at the local fight room.

I am surrounded by a bunch of pansies that do not want to train, we had a contracted company available to teach BJJ, MMA, and Army combatives. I was the only person showing up for 3 weeks straight so the contract was shitcanned. I have sought out other soldiers but no one is interested

So all I have at my disposal are 3 heavy bags, my bag gloves, wraps, and my jump rope

My base style is wrestling but thats kind of out at the moment so I figure I will get competent in striking. I boxed in the past and can still throw proper punches but i am obviously rusty

1. What are some drills for reinforcing blocking punches?
    I found that to be my weakest point during the previous 3 weeks.

2. Drills for increasing reaction timing?

3. What are some kicking drills I can do?

*I am a Soldier in the United States Army and am deployed to Iraq. I am already at a high level of fitness as I have certain goals after this deployment so please refrain from the standard "get in shape", lets leave that part out :)

***YOU ARE A FUCKING PRICK.***

that said... I can't resist an Active Duty man in need.
    (it's the Corpsman in me, I can't help it, I love my fighting boys in their cute lil' pickle suits...)
    PM me your address, I will send you DVDs. BJJ, Boxing, Stick Fighting, Judo, Krav Maga, WW2 Combatives, damned near anything you want.
    (& I've got some good "kicking" stuff that I can send you in hard paper form, put those combat boots to good use)
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 11:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    ***YOU ARE A FUCKING PRICK.***

that said... I can't resist an Active Duty man in need.
    (it's the Corpsman in me, I can't help it, I love my fighting boys in their cute lil' pickle suits...)
    PM me your address, I will send you DVDs. BJJ, Boxing, Stick Fighting, Judo, Krav Maga, WW2 Combatives, damned near anything you want.
    (& I've got some good "kicking" stuff that I can send you in hard paper form, put those combat boots to good use)
    awesome man
    thanks!

pm sent

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can also take one of those heavy bags down and do some floor work with them. Ground and pound, transition drills, and very basic wrestling throws. You have any friends? I've always been able to talk someone into throwing punches at me as long as I promise not to punch back. That will help with your defense, and maybe they will become interested enough to learn.

If you have no friends....well, sucks to be you. Stay safe over there!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope you are staying safe over there, soldier.
    Try to get a double-end bag somewhere if you can. They are a good solo training tool.
    But it sucks if you can't even get anyone to do some drills with. You would think it wouldn't be too hard to hook up with some other military guys over there..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 6:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    You can also take one of those heavy bags down and do some floor work with them. Ground and pound, transition drills, and very basic wrestling throws. You have any friends? I've always been able to talk someone into throwing punches at me as long as I promise not to punch back. That will help with your defense, and maybe they will become interested enough to learn.

If you have no friends....well, sucks to be you. Stay safe over there!
    thats a good plan. i will do that
    haha all of my friends work the day shift and i am on nights.

my shift is the biggest part of having to train alone. if i worked days i could get some of the civilians to drive me to the other Base where they have BJJ and MMA classes

Also just as OZ says I am going to order a double end bag, i think that will help out some