Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 4:29pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo on Long Island

Hey Everybody,

I'm pretty new to Bullshido. I've been training Shotokan for the past 9 years, and I'm looking to get into some grappling. My Sensei has worked a few judo-type classes into the regular Shotokan training, and I got really into it. I'm looking to expand more and gain a little more in depth work into the style. Can anybody point me towards a good Judo school on Long Island, specifically in Nassau County or in Western Suffolk? I'm also very open to trying out BJJ and JJJ (assuming it's available and trains with aliveness), but I'm primarily looking for Judo.

Thanks,
    K

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place where I train, is called combat judo, its in massapequa. Its run by Mark Staniszewski a judo sandan and BJJ black belt.

http://www.teamcombatbjj.com
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 3/02/2011 7:39pm at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's tons of judo places in LI, I really like team combat though its a very close knit atmosphere. There are other good judo schools around so you can definitely find one that's a good fit for you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is usually the fact that there are so many judo schools on the Island. Personal references are usually a safer bet after all. Thanks for the recommendation!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    There's tons of judo places in LI, I really like team combat though its a very close knit atmosphere. There are other good judo schools around so you can definitely find one that's a good fit for you
    The problem I find is that there are so many places on the Island to choose from. I figured personal recommendations are a better way of narrowing the choices.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2011 4:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for such a grossly late response, but for some reason I was having issues responding to posts, but figured out how to do it now, and it's working again. Regardless, thanks for the info. I live in Syosset, Massapequa can be a hike considering the hours of training over there. I did shoot Combat Judo an e-mail, though, just haven't been able to follow up with them yet because of work and school commitments. I haven't been able to find anything via google in the local area in terms of Judo. Any other schools you might be able to recommend?

Although, I'm willing to travel a distance for a good place to train, so maybe Combat Judo is the place to go anyway.

Thanks again.