My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 5:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I was talking about the phase between the rei and the start of gripping. Basically wanted him to get out of the habit of walking straight forward onto people cos otherwise people are just going to be dropping under him with drop seoi and ending his contest in 5 seconds.
    Yes, and it's good advice on your part. It's a bad idea to walk right at uke, period. I was just reminding my students last night about that. They want to be aggressive and move forward, but they have to curb that and redirect it towards circling and moving laterally, toward what will be their initial point of contact with uke, in such a way as to minimize exposure of themselves and maximize potential to get a useful grip first.

With the prevelence of drop seoi artists in the lighter weight divisions, not following is imperative, and one handed gripping is a big no no as well.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 9:24am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    I would like to say something. This isn't directed at you personally nor do I mean this to be an insult in any way. I've heard from time to time people say a BJA 3rd kyu is as good as a shodan in the United States. If you are a 2nd kyu there's no way that statement can be true. I understand you do not represent all 2nd kyu rank holders and that each rank has all sorts of people with varying technique and ability. I don't know if people on the other side of the pond say that to get a cheap dig against the USA.
    I have only been a nikyu for a couple of months and as this competition was BJA and not Judo Scotland, I didn't collect any points towards my ikkyu. I plan to keep working at my weaknesses and intent to be a more well rounded player by the time I get my brown belt :)

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I concur with what Judoka_UK wrote. It sounds like your coach has a good idea of what you need to do. He has a cool accent too!

Ben
    The voice from the side of the mat was not my actual coach, the guy you're referring to is one of our club's shodans who made the trip with me. Good guy and very Glaswegian.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by herbo1 View Post
    I have only been a nikyu for a couple of months and as this competition was BJA and not Judo Scotland, I didn't collect any points towards my ikkyu. I plan to keep working at my weaknesses and intent to be a more well rounded player by the time I get my brown belt :)
    That's great! Keep up the hard work. This may sound a little corny but you have great fighting spirit! The things judoka_uk pointed out, and some things I pointed out as well, will iron itself out over time with diligent practice. Always try to grab the better and more experienced people in your club when you randori.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I'd post an update about how my judo is going, partially as I like feedback and also to get the Y U NO POST MORE message off my screen.

When I last posted I was just about to compete in the BJA North West Area Championships at Kyu Grade. Well that went pretty well, I won the -81kg catagory as there were only two of us there, but the organisers allowed our 81s fight to be used as a pool fight for -90s as well, which I then went on to win also. 6 fights in total.

Since then I've added an extra day to my training routine, now also training at the Edinburgh University judo club, where I'm doing my Masters.

I feel my tokui waza (uchi mata), is becoming increasingly more reliable and I'm now focussing on getting my osoto gari up to scratch and using sasae tsurikomi ashi to link them together. Other throws I have success with are a drop knees seoi nage, rotating under my left sided lapel hand, and a harai makikomi to the same side (I only use the makikomi against heavier opponents as I don't learn anything by crushing lighter people with it).

Also this weekend past I competed in the Manchester University Senior Open at kyu grade and won the -90s catagory (I weighed in at 84) and then got to fight the +90s catagory due to its low numbers, where I got a silver. 6 fights total again.

Points I've still got to work on are;
    - keeping my head up
    - an over reliance on my left handed high collar grip.
    - pinning the opponents pulling hand.

I've got some great coaches just now, but any tips regarding ways to correct my problems or technique choice or even just some lefty gripping strategy would be much appreciated.

I've included the video I got of my first fight at the weekend. I know there isn't much to comment on given the length but enjoy anyway (I'm in the blue belt).

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ Video is private

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    ^ Video is private
    fixed

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Manchester kyu grade open? That must be new.

Congrats on winning, decent uchi mata as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that it was a uni comp which was in its first year. Reasonably efficiently run despite there only being one mat area.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12