Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 11:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Herbo1's Judo Videos

After competing at the weekend in the Kendal Kyu Grade Open (UK), I thought I'd post up the videos of my fights to get some feedback. Also, I guess it'll prove I'm real and not some sort of lurking robot.

I've already discussed the fights with my coach who commented that I wasn't committing enough on some throws, which was for fear of being countered to the back. I know I need to work on this particularly for my osoto gari.

I'm the guy in the Essimo kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpYiQF8VGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRiIw57oB2c

The third fight was a good scrap between myself and one of my training partners from my BJJ class, who trains Judo at another club. I edited out a bit where the judge's confer for about 2 minutes and then shido us both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXe3rAkMCYU

Any thoughts about my performance would be great.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I leave the critique to the black belts and more experienced competitors, but good job! Nice vids.

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 5:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your grade again?
    First fight:
    Don't walk straight at your opponent off the rei, always circle around them and then engage.
    Keep your head up
    Keep your tsurite elbow down, pointing towards the mat and keep your forearm on your opponent's chest. Use your height to your advantage and break their posture whilst keeping yours. Usual beginner thing of you only need to rei at the start and end of a contest and if you're super polite to the ref when they shido you. Not at every restart, buts its just nerves nothing to worry about.
    Good attacking spirit.

Second fight:
    Again walking straight at your opponent, circle then engage. You look slightly at see against an extreme left hander, not used to fighting them?
    Elbow is down more this time which is good.
    Head still down though.
    Could be breaking their posture better.
    Nice attack.
    Good Job landing in a controlling position and being aware of the newaza.

Third fight:
    Thank god your mate fixed the video size lol!
    A guy your own size so having your head down really started to disrupt your Judo.
    You struggled to get and maintain the inside grip, kept settling for an outside or tricep grip which is inferior for the type of Judo you're trying to do.
    Not enough attacks, probably because you were struggling with your head down and the outside grip.

Overall good effort, some areas for improvement, but by no means anything major for your grade.

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does it matter if you circle left or right?

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 6:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a right hander I circle to my left so that I move away from a right handers tsurite and against the usual direction of their throw.

I don't know if there's a definitive right way of doing it though, would have to ask my coach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses so far guys.

@Judoka_uk-
    I'm a 2nd Kyu currently.

My over rei-ing is probably a remanent from when I studied kuk sool won, there was a lot of bowing there. I'll just get on with it next time lol.

I had never fought another leftie in competition before and there's only one other left hander at the club, a 5th kyu lady. Probably should get some leftie training partners.

I'll be competing again this weekend at the North West Seniors. Hopefully get some more videos taken of my fights and try to work on the points mentioned :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by herbo1 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far guys.

@Judoka_uk-
    I'm a 2nd Kyu currently.
    I would like to say something. This isn't directed at you personally nor do I mean this to be an insult in any way. I've heard from time to time people say a BJA 3rd kyu is as good as a shodan in the United States. If you are a 2nd kyu there's no way that statement can be true. I understand you do not represent all 2nd kyu rank holders and that each rank has all sorts of people with varying technique and ability. I don't know if people on the other side of the pond say that to get a cheap dig against the USA. I've seen other matches of other BJA kyu grades and other videos of guys demonstrating technique and if there is a skill gap I don't think it's as significant as some suggest.

In regards to your fights there's not much more I can add. I would like to say that I think you could stand to be much more relaxed. I understand that shiai is a very stressful thing for a lot of people and lord knows I'm guilty of being tense from time to time but there's a way to be relaxed and go 100%.

You also seem to lose control of your opponent quite a bit. For example in the first video pause it at 0:33. I think with a better grip and if you actually turned your shoulders that could have been an ippon. Same thing at 1:26. At 1:27 your tsurite is so far off that it appears to be completely ineffective. You might have been able to salvage that throw had you kept turning your shoulders. Like the throw at 0:33 I think you were in there and had a good opportunity for a throw.

As judoka_uk suggested you looked a little lost when it came to fighting the left handed fighter. He gave good suggestions when it came to gripping but you really need someone to show you. At the very least control their power hand and shoulder first and then secure your grip from there.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 3:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    As a right hander I circle to my left so that I move away from a right handers tsurite and against the usual direction of their throw.

I don't know if there's a definitive right way of doing it though, would have to ask my coach.
    If you are gripped up, then moving towards opponents tsurite is more dangerous. No grip, then it depends on ai or kenka yotsu, although it's not as critical.

In right vs right, you will want to control their right sleeve, so you would have to move towards uke right side so as not to reach too far, and to not give up your whole right side to them while you are fishing around for control of their their sleeve (whatever method you use). In right vs left or vice versa, you are going to generally fight for inside control of uke left lapel, so movement is more biased towards their left side.

Of course, there are many different methods for getting a grip and different gripping strategies, so your mileage may vary.

Ben

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 3:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by herbo1 View Post
    After competing at the weekend in the Kendal Kyu Grade Open (UK), I thought I'd post up the videos of my fights to get some feedback. Also, I guess it'll prove I'm real and not some sort of lurking robot.

I've already discussed the fights with my coach who commented that I wasn't committing enough on some throws, which was for fear of being countered to the back. I know I need to work on this particularly for my osoto gari.

I'm the guy in the Essimo kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpYiQF8VGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRiIw57oB2c

The third fight was a good scrap between myself and one of my training partners from my BJJ class, who trains Judo at another club. I edited out a bit where the judge's confer for about 2 minutes and then shido us both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXe3rAkMCYU

Any thoughts about my performance would be great.
    I concur with what Judoka_UK wrote. It sounds like your coach has a good idea of what you need to do. He has a cool accent too!

Ben

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 5:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    If you are gripped up, then moving towards opponents tsurite is more dangerous. No grip, then it depends on ai or kenka yotsu, although it's not as critical.
    I was talking about the phase between the rei and the start of gripping. Basically wanted him to get out of the habit of walking straight forward onto people cos otherwise people are just going to be dropping under him with drop seoi and ending his contest in 5 seconds.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast