Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my dojo there arw takedowns, ground work, grappling.

We spent almost 1/4th t doing ground work

We have sport sparing with pads and stuff butwe also do free sparing with no pads, we do free weapon sparing with no pads

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 12:34pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albeaver89 View Post
    We have sport sparing with pads and stuff butwe also do free sparing with no pads, we do free weapon sparing with no pads
    I cannot help but think that if you have ‘free’ sparring with weapons and no protective equipment, said sparring must be extremely light contact, unless the weapons are made out of foam.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 2:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshin ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Notextremely light i've got blood drawn on me usualy its with the lower belts that draw blood though. But they are real weapons bo, boken, kama(unsharpened) saya, and tonfa. Usualy its not abunch of hitting welike to do it like a chess game were we gain advantage and if the opponite dosnt reset up then we come in. Its really quite fun. Just dont cry cause you got yourfnger smashed

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 3:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isshin68 View Post
    Hello,
    I have been in Isshinryu 43 years, started off at 13 with Ed Johnson, one of the founders of Isshinryu in the US...he was in Okinawa USMC in 1959. When I grew up in it we wore cups, no mouthpiece...bareknuckle...no rules..groin kicks were in..just no eyestabs and kicks to the front or side of the knee...refered to as the "blood and guts" era here in Texas...late sixties ...there were no juniors or kids doing it..
    when I started at 12 with Pat Burleson, grown men were throwing me full power on hardwood floors...for real....never got injured, had already done judo a year with Sam Numajiri...in Fort Worth...
    I've heard of Pat Burleson, but can't place him. Sam though I did know-legit Judo guy. He was on the promotion board for my shodan test.

However, I'll have to call bullshit on "grown men were throwing me full power on hardwood floors...for real....never got injured". Even after a year of kid's judo that just is not realistic.

As to my background or frame of reference, in the mid seventies I was also senior student in the US to the late Great Grandmaster, Dr. Kim, Dae Shik...one of the five founders of TKD and Judo in the US
    So where and when did Dr. Kim help found Judo in the US? There were Japanese judo dojo in the us back in the '20s.

Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 5/24/2011 3:37pm at . Reason: quote blocks missing
    Falling for Judo since 1980

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/24/2011 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albeaver89 View Post
    Notextremely light i've got blood drawn on me usualy its with the lower belts that draw blood though. But they are real weapons bo, boken, kama(unsharpened) saya, and tonfa. Usualy its not abunch of hitting welike to do it like a chess game were we gain advantage and if the opponite dosnt reset up then we come in. Its really quite fun. Just dont cry cause you got yourfnger smashed
    Video?

Posted On:
    5/27/2011 12:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in isshinryu in a small club that is hosted at a gym. We use the aerobics room and our instructor is very pro Kata. That being said, we do spar with the old style cotton covered hand pads, no feet pads. Contact and aliveness is partner dependant, and I get going pretty hard with the instructor and 2 other higher belted students.

My view on isshinryu is that it is a 50 -50 venture as far as what your club does and what demands you place on yourself. I believe that 50 percent of fighting is mental, 30 percent athletic and 20 percent technique.

Mental toughness can be derived from pushing yourself in extreme athletic pursuits. It's no coincidence that Nick Diaz competes in triathlon.

As an isshinryu ka, it is up to me to practice "hojo undo", so that my body is physically and athletically capable of performing in real combat. With this component of okinawan karate, the basics become much more viable as combat techniques.

For me Isshinryu basics are a complete enough art to build a self defense system on. Take fumikomi followed by knee smash. Instant devestation! But I am confident in it because I am faithful in gripping exercises and explosive pulling movements with my arm and back and plyometrics with my legs. So I have confidence I can clinch, fumikomi, then knee smash.

Upper body basic "two biggie punches" is to me a viable technique that i believe is teaching "loading" a hook punch to use full rotational torque in a hook as well as to clear space for it in a clinching situation, my core is trained to be able to explode this movement.

These are just examples in which what I do in my martial pursuit is complementary to my structured studies.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234