Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

brand new to isshinryu

Ok well im 19 and have just started training at the penn state affiliated isshinryu dojo in the philadelphia area. I wanted to do isshinryu because my dad did it and its one of the few actual hardcore dojos in my area unlike the mcdojo I was part of when I was younger. I do like some aspects of it and the vertical punch seems good for the area it is suppose to target but there are some parts that worry me. I would like to here what people think of it. Like strengths and weaknessess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:47pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As it is people don't think that well about Isshinryu around here. You might want to check out the 'Not without my justice' thread by Boyd on this site for some more information as well as opinions.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum. Here's the thread aiyer mentioned:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=60383&page=1

MTripp, a very experienced judoka, mentioned a brutal isshin ryu dojo from back in the day. They would break the fist so it would heal harder. Stuff like that.

What is your training like? Do you spar, and with what kind of rules/contact/gear?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 1:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah my dad talked about how brutal training under this guy named sutton was. He's a big shot now but he was only a first degree then. I've only gone twice. The forms people seem to believe are useless are ment to train strentgh more than to be used in combat and that seems to be my dojos mentality we do basics up and down the floor. And then we will do stances for a while then we will practice different kicks and punches. We are sparing this weekend though. There are only six of us counting me. Three black belts of varying degrees.I guess its just a personal preference as well. I like to maintain my feet. Any style that has me going to the ground doesn't sit well with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:48pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two words of advice:

-Spar hard and spar often. Isshin-ryu is one of those branches of karate that really easily fall prey to "Our techniques are too deadly for sparring". (Use mouthguards and gloves, at least.)

-Dismissing ground-fighting/grappling will lead you to some unfortunate problems if you're not careful.

Keep up on your hojo undo and try not to take yourself too seriously.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 4:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah they never said anything about not sparing because it was to deadly to use any of our techniques. Also I just dislike ground fighting is because it looks like its just two dudes trying to hump eachother into submission. Id prefer to learn a few throws and just rely on strking to avoid being taken to the ground. idk if I'm on the right path but if you can drop somebody with an elbow does it matter how goood they are at grappling?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 4:31pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kostic View Post
    Also I just dislike ground fighting is because it looks like its just two dudes trying to hump eachother into submission.
    So your arguments against grappling are homophobia and general ignorance. Gotcha.

idk if I'm on the right path but if you can drop somebody with an elbow does it matter how goood they are at grappling?
    Try dropping an elbow on someone after they double-leg you into the dirt and knee-ride your chest and neck for a few minutes, or mount and bitchslap you a few dozen times. The answer to your question will soon become very clear.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 5:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ment hump eachother into submission as a joke. It just didn't look appealing. I would prefer to come off clean if I had to fight what do I do if am forced to defend myself against multiple attackers. I certainly don't want to be on the ground. Am I making myself clear at all when I say come off clean?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 5:25pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you end up in a fight, and you don’t practice grappling/wrestling/judo/whatever, you will have inferior takedown defence and may not have much choice in whether the fight goes to the ground or not. Grappling allows you to win on the ground, but it also allows you to get off the ground as it teaches you to get to top positions where you can stand up if you so desire. A pure striker just has to pray that the other guy won’t clinch. There are reasons why even MMA fighters who prefer to keep it standing still practice some grappling and damn well learn how to sprawl. (It’s analogous to the reason why BJJ black belts who want to do MMA also need to work some boxing.)

If you fight multiple attackers, you will probably lose, no matter what you practice, unless you are significantly more heavily armed than they are, e.g. gun vs. no guns. It’s true that boxing + decent takedown defence is better than nothing, but you’re better off not getting into fights where you are outnumbered, unless you are Batman.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 5:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast