Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Berkeley California
    Posts
    15
    Style
    Isshin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Power - Describe how to generate it for a punch ...

    Hey,

    I would be interested in reading from this group your description as to what power is and how to generate it for a punch?

    Have a Positive Day,

    Charles J.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    109
    Style
    Judo, Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punch from your toes, push off with your legs, twist at the trunk, and turn over your hip. basically what i'm trying to say is you punch with your entire body for a power punch.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Berkeley California
    Posts
    15
    Style
    Isshin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Power does not come from setting your stance and doing the process you mention. What your using is not power generating but merely an accelerator. You need momentum which comes from the fist half of your equation which is missing but then again I don't know **** anyway...

  4. #4
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,923
    Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is an expaination of the right cross said by better people than me.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=104520&page=1

    Punch right and you get power.

  5. #5
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,939
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In CLF there's a number of different ways that power is generated for a punch:
    1. Twisting- twisting the waist to incorporate the torso and get more extension.
    2. Stepping- moving the whole body forward in space, and using this to add weight and momentum to the punch, and achieve proper distance
    3. Crunching- using the core muscles to get the best power and body geometry when hitting (think uppercuts).
    4. Sinking- lowering the bodyweight when hitting to be more stable and/or to add more weight into the strike
    5. Tensing- the fighting stance should normally have a minimum of tension, but when striking, brief tension can assist the power. For example, making sure the wrist and fist are solid on impact. Also, breathing out when you hit, which tenses the diaphragm for a moment.

  6. #6
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,358
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cejames View Post
    Hey,

    I would be interested in reading from this group your description as to what power is and how to generate it for a punch?

    Have a Positive Day,

    Charles J.
    You have two accounts registered to this IP address. This is a violation of our Terms of Service. One of the accounts will be banned. Creating more accounts after this will result in a permaban.

    Which account would you like to remain active, cejames or charlesj?

  7. #7
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,939
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cejames View Post
    What your using is not power generating but merely an accelerator. You need momentum which comes from the fist half of your equation which is missing but then again I don't know **** anyway...
    There's two parts for the equation for force.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Berkeley California
    Posts
    15
    Style
    Isshin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, the expert who eloquently explained it to me sees this a lot. It can be simply because it was not fully explained even when you can see that the person is doing the first "third actually."

    You might find Marc MacYoung's site, No Nonsense Self Defense," very informative. You may have to do some searching to find the actual page on power.

    He uses the firefighters triangle example in his explanation so you may find it searching for fire fighter triangle, etc.

  9. #9
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,939
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cejames View Post
    Yes, the expert who eloquently explained it to me sees this a lot. It can be simply because it was not fully explained even when you can see that the person is doing the first "third actually."

    You might find Marc MacYoung's site, No Nonsense Self Defense," very informative. You may have to do some searching to find the actual page on power.

    He uses the firefighters triangle example in his explanation so you may find it searching for fire fighter triangle, etc.
    So this is the article you're talking about:

    http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/Power.htm

    It seems that what he's describing is the components that make up powerful techniques, which is different than "describe how to generate power for a punch". I stand by my answer.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    3,008
    Style
    Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So why are you asking a question that you seem to think you already know?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO