Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 3:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Beginner.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pencak Silat in Edinburgh East Scotland?

First post chaps so be gentle!

I was looking for a teacher of Silat in Edinburgh or the Lothian area in Scotland, but there doesnt seem to be anyone there who teaches it.

If i am unable to find a decent Guro, can anyone recommend any DVD's that instruct you in Silat techniques and weapon drills?

Thanks.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't waste your time with videos and shite like that. There's loads of great schools in Edinburgh if you're wiling to look at other styles than silat.

If you're interested in learning a weaposn based style you should check out Rick Young's place at the end of Leith Walk where you can do escrima. He also teaches top notch BJJ, muay Thai, MMA and JKD if you're interested in any of those.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 4:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Don't waste your time with videos and shite like that. There's loads of great schools in Edinburgh if you're wiling to look at other styles than silat.

If you're interested in learning a weaposn based style you should check out Rick Young's place at the end of Leith Walk where you can do escrima. He also teaches top notch BJJ, muay Thai, MMA and JKD if you're interested in any of those.
    YES!!!! If you can train at Rick Young's school, absolutely do it.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 3:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

I did look at the info for Rick Young's JKD school but i found the financial cost of the school was prohibitive, and that the Kali classes amounted to only two hours a week. So for the amount of money put in i wouldnt be getting much back. Maybe if rick or one of his instructors could maybe offer 6 hours of Kali a week i might bite but the school website doesnt offer such an option.

Its just that i find it odd that in a European capital city like Edinburgh that there is such little choice in good martial arts training. I read up somewhere that a lot of good Silat teachers in England have stopped teaching it now. Is there some sort of Silat boycott going on that i should know about?!

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 3:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you want to do silat?

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 8:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi CrackFox.

From the silat i have seen it is very graceful and deceptive. Also the weapons training is more extensive than other systems of similar means.

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 8:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically you think it looks neat.

You'd be much better off drawing up a list of the what's available locally, then making your decision from that list.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 9:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, if I was in Edinburgh you'd have to sedate me & shackle me to a wall to keep me out of here: http://www.macdonaldarms.com/
    all I'd want to do is that & Edinburgh Judo, they have a good team.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    12/31/2012 7:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Silat / Nicolaes Petter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a Silat school in Glasgow which is looking to teach in other Scottish towns too. I won't add any links here as apparently that is frowned upon. But send me a mail via my profile and I will give you the details. Regards..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2013 10:55pm

Style: Kenpo/Hapkdo/FMA/Silat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is an instructor in Edinburgh, if you give me a shout, I'll provide you details - be warned though - he only teaches those that are prepared to be serious students - he doesn't like time wasters. Take from that what you will, but he is decent and has a great style. As for DVDS - they can help - but as a reference only - far better you learn and then refer back to any. Hope this helps. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by yamayama View Post
    First post chaps so be gentle!

I was looking for a teacher of Silat in Edinburgh or the Lothian area in Scotland, but there doesnt seem to be anyone there who teaches it.

If i am unable to find a decent Guro, can anyone recommend any DVD's that instruct you in Silat techniques and weapon drills?

Thanks.