218358 Bullies, 4969 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Autoknives - Practical or Gimmicky?

I'm going to buy a Benchmade 8600, which is an auto knife or a Benchmade 860 which is a manual version of the same design.

Honestly, I'm leaning very strongly toward the manual 860. I've never owned an auto other than a really cheap switchblade when I was a teenager.

I see some disadvantages to the auto like shorter shelf life due to a spring that can wear out. Also, if you have the safety engaged, I think any advantage in speed over a manual knife is lost. I really don't know what the likelihood is of the knife opening in your pocket if you have the safety off.

All of my other folders open with a thumbstud or spidey hole and I think maintaining consistency is a positive thing.

Anyway, just for my own food for thought I was wondering what you guys' overall opinions are on auto knives.

Gimmicky bullshit or tactical badassery?
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are any of the thumb-stud knives you have assisted? I really like the action on my spring-assisted Kershaw Blackout, even after several years regular use (and Kershaw provides replacement springs & screws free). I've never played with an auto like the 8600, but maybe there is a third path to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 12:09pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Automatics are sweet. I have a couple and my Protech is pretty much reserved for when I have to wear a tie. That said, they're gimmicky as well as illegal in many places so they're not really worth the price tag or risk when an assisted opener or a knife with the WAVE feature can be deployed just as quickly, if not faster, than a switchblade.

Further, automatics often have other mechanical issues than just the spring wearing out. I have a Benchmade automatic (don't know model, sorry.) that I was issued in Iraq and a while back I realized that the automatic locking mechanism no longer works. The manual lock works just fine, but in many switchblades, the release button is the lock. The blade slides over the catch on the button which wears on the corners of the catch resulting in a nice ramp for the blade to travel up instead of locking.
    Last edited by wetware; 3/01/2011 12:15pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 12:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD View Post
    Are any of the thumb-stud knives you have assisted? I really like the action on my spring-assisted Kershaw Blackout, even after several years regular use (and Kershaw provides replacement springs & screws free). I've never played with an auto like the 8600, but maybe there is a third path to explore.
    No, I don't have any assisted openers either. Maybe I'll give them a try. Free replacement parts is a bonus.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 12:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Automatics are sweet. I have a couple and my Protech is pretty much reserved for when I have to wear a tie. That said, they're gimmicky as well as illegal in many places so they're not really worth the price tag or risk when an assisted opener or a knife with the WAVE feature can be deployed just as quickly, if not faster, than a switchblade.
    Yeah. Auto knives are illegal as **** in my state. Interestingly, that was low on my list of concerns. Probably because I know if I don't go around acting like an idiot, the odds of having a problem with the po po are slim. Nevertheless, it is on the list of reasons I'm leaning to the manual.

I'm a big Emerson fan, so I have several knives with the wave feature. Personally, it's one of the few things I dislike about Emerson knives. I call it the "cut the **** out of yourself" feature or the "ruin a good pair of pants" feature.

On occasion, the wave will hang in your pocket while you're moving around and the blade will open slightly. I've sliced my finger open good reaching into my pocket after this happened. Also, when you wave the knife open, it's not that difficult to graze the side of your pants and slice them open. Been there, done that. This is less likely with longer blades. I think smaller folders with the wave feature are a bit dangerous.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, maybe try out an assisted. I thought it was a little gimmicky before I got it, but like I said I love the action now. Don't know how other companies handle it, but I've used my Blackout for daily carry for four or five (three? six?) years, and a month or two ago used the Kershaw website to ask about a replacement screw for the handle. Couple weeks later I had a little baggy with all the screws and a replacement spring, no hassle. Didn't have to dig up a receipt or any of that **** either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 1:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. IMHO:
    If you like to carry a folder with you for "tactical" purposes, it should better be as simple as possible, because the less moving parts you have the less parts are there to break, + in manual version, you'll probably have no parts to stick on the way of the blade. And, usually, things are breaking at the most critical moment.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad View Post
    Hi. IMHO:
    If you like to carry a folder with you for "tactical" purposes, it should better be as simple as possible, because the less moving parts you have the less parts are there to break, + in manual version, you'll probably have no parts to stick on the way of the blade. And, usually, things are breaking at the most critical moment.
    An assisted opening knife has one more part than a regular folding knife- a curved piece of metal that acts as a spring. In the event that it breaks, your assisted opening knife is now a regular folding knife; no big deal. The spring and locking mechanism are two separate things. If you're worried that a well made spring assisted knife will catastrophically fail when you need it, then you should probably go with a fixed blade.

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad View Post
    Hi. IMHO:
    I don't really carry a knife for tactical reasons. I carry guns for that. Not to say that I don't like tactical knives or that I wouldn't bury one in a skull if I had to :). Really, I just like knives period. Every man should carry a knife. It's in the man code. My knives see more duty opening action figures and Barbie dolls for my kids than anything else.

But I agree with your point about **** breaking at a critical moment.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When all else is equal, more moving parts means it's more likely to malfunction and break sooner rather than later.

Still IMO, it's neither "gimmicky bullshit" nor "technical badassery." It's gimmicky badassery. :)
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast