Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 9:46am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going against the grain a little here I have had some positive experiences using superpump250.

I used it during a period when I was attempting to raise my cardio and endurance for grappling through some pretty intense (for my level of fitness) bodyweight and tabata type exercises... it certainly helped. I actually saw rather dramatic gains in my fitness level during the period of time I was using it. It's possible that it was nothing other than pure placebo effect but certainly I found my energy levels and endurance while workng out greatly increased.
    I was doing the ross training 52 card workout with squats, regular pressups, hindu pressups and sit ups in 16mins, running 10 x 100 meters sprints (sprint walk back repeat) 3 times a week. I was also doing the team quest grappling superset with a light (30kg) bar. My attributes shot up in about 4 weeks and I lost half a stone in excess fat.

Might not be worth the cash and could probably be replaced by a more healthy and possibly effective 'natural' alternative but Ive found N.O suppliments to work just fine. No heart rate issues either... just really hideous toilet trips about an hour after injesting.

YMMV

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/06/2011 7:50pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a big fan of NO products. They're not terrible, but I don't think they live up to the hype, and certainly aren't worth the cost. For pre-workout (of any kind, including PT or MA training), I'm a fan of a carb/protein mix 30-60 minutes before the workout. Do you have the option to try peri-workout drinks (during the workout)?

Peri-workout nutrition has really started to become more popular in weight training circles, and are pretty damn effective. I imagine they would be just as effective during MA training. A good peri-workout drink should include water (obviously) with a fairly light concentration of carbs, and most importantly, amino acids. Note: By amino acids, I don't mean full-on protein powder or anything, you wouldn't want something that substantial during training. Make a single drink, roughly the volume of a Gatorade or something, and drink it a little bit at a time, spacing it out throughout the entire course of your training session.

That is, of course, if that's an option during your MA training.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 2:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pre workouts are supposed to be taken prior to lifting workouts, they would be detrimental during martial arts workouts.

The stimulants and NO pre-cursors (getting the "pump") are great when you need to just grab a bar and push/pull it. Caffeine is actually a great strength supplement on its own, allowing you to lift more and put in more capacity during your workout.

Not so much when you need to think straight and move smoothly, making quick decisions on the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 11:34am

Style: Arnis Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I'm carb depleted from cutting weight, I supplement with BCAAs (with a little extra Leucine thrown in for good measure) and pop extra EFAs (fish oil and CLA) before rolling.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 12:28pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I was prepping for "Zero Day" of the Army Air Assault course, I'd consume a "Carbo Fuel" product, which would help immensely with extended performance. I don't even think they make those kinds of products any more; it was basically just gatorade with a ton of carbs in it.

Having been pretty much ignorant of sports nutrition at the time, I can't remember if they were simple or complex or a mix of both. I don't think it had any caffeine in it either.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2011 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a bit more supporting of pre work out supplements than most people but only because they allow me to train more frequently with less down time. If you have more than enough time to waste in between training sessions, then just forget them tho.

Personally, I agree with LI Guy 1, a Caffeine tab 10 min pre workout works wonders but I go a little further. I like taking Glutamine Supplements pre work out and post work out as well, creatine post work out (although this can be bad for cutting weight as it increases cell volume through water retention) and a nice cheap isotonic drink during work out.

I would like to mention the reason I take creatine post work out is because it wont become stored in your cells immediately not even if you take it 2 hours pre work out so you really have to take it a day before a work out for your body to metabolise it.

Long Story short, my pre work out supplements are in order of importance:
    1. Glutamine (3 Times a day)
    2. Creatine (1 Time a day)
    3. Caffeine tablet (not the same as drinking coffee btw) (Max of 2 a day not at the same time)
    4. Isotonic Energy drink (1 per workout in general)

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/02/2011 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm with sang. a banana about 1 hr before i workout, and i drink lots of green tea all day before i go to the dojo. right afterwards i have a protein shake with whey protein, another banana, fruit juice, some glutamine, twinlab amino fuel and psyllium husks for fiber.

been thinking of taking some glutamine in water right before class, but haven't tried it yet
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 5:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabiddog, the OP is referring to MMA training, not lifting. Everything you lited is fine for lifting, but not to take imeediatley before you go boxing or grappling. All it would do is upset your stomach or affect your ability to think IMO.

For lifting, hell yea.
    I take preworkouts as well as a few othr supps. Evryday I'm taking creatine, glutamine, beta alanine, and a few others. I love Jack3d as my pre, and WhiteFlood, but if I took that before MMA I would die.

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 5:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    been thinking of taking some glutamine in water right before class, but haven't tried it yet
    If anything, take it after. I take my glutamine, creatine, and beta alanine post workout for MMA or lifting. Taking it pre won't give you much if any advantage, and free form aminos like glutamine can upset stomachs if you don't drink enough water, so best to take them post with plenty of water from my point of view.

Depending on the dose I guess, I wouldn't take my 15g glutamine pre mma.

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 5:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabiddog View Post

I would like to mention the reason I take creatine post work out is because it wont become stored in your cells immediately not even if you take it 2 hours pre work out so you really have to take it a day before a work out for your body to metabolise it.
    From what I read, your muslces need to reach saturation, which can take a month of dosing, before it works. The point of creatine supplementation is to reach saturation so you have extra available during your workout pretty much.
    So really I don't think it matters really when you take it, just that you take it every day to remain saturated.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast