Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gezere- have you ever worked with Eyal Yanilov? I did a seminar with him a few years ago, and I thought it was really good.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 5:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Its the rule for the professionals taught by professionals. The excepting is the civilians make believing they are the professionals. If you look up any IDF Krav training you will see some hard training. You look up ATA Krav training.......
    Will the real Krav Maga please stand up?

I hear what you're saying, but quality training is still the exception when it comes to Krav Maga. When I search for IDF Krav Maga, I see some good training and I see a lot of the same dead fish Uke type stuff. And when the training is good, it looks nothing like the techniques that are supposed to be part of the system.

Granted, if there are military units out there doing the good ****, maybe they're not videotaping it. Makes sense to me. You say you've seen good Krav Maga training and I take your word for it. But your isolated example certainly isn't representative of the style as a whole.

If it's so good, it shouldn't be so hard to dig up examples of good training. And it's really fucking hard to dig 'em up.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    And that it is utter bullshit? It's bad karate mixed with bad judo and bad jujutsu.

It's supposed to be wrestling + boxing, otherwise known as Pankration developed by a Persian who doesn't like wester europeans then it got to american and became some kind of bizarre "hardcore" angry white boy aikido/karate look-a-like.

WHY can't people just get over this?
    Gotta disagree with you on this. If you learn KM from the IDF, you'll be learning good and practical stuff. However, KM got way out of control with the "weekend instructor courses" so there is a lot of horrible people claiming to represent the art.

Sad really, but if you find a good instructor you'll be learning sound and tested techniques.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Gezere- have you ever worked with Eyal Yanilov? I did a seminar with him a few years ago, and I thought it was really good.
    Never worked with Yanilov. I think there was a lot of drama going on with him and IKMF last year but I don't know what came of that.

Sadly there is drama and Bullshido in every art out there regardless how effective it may be.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 6:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read a memoir from a IDF Veteran, it wasnt about being a badass, most of it was "omigosh, I had to shoot someone, but it was ok, because he was a terrorist" style stuff, but;

He went into some detail re: his training, and he describes the throws being used during full-contact training daily, and basically his 5'10" lietenant being able to kick his arse all day.

The guy has gone on to 'teach' US law enforcement agencies and security companies "IDF anti-terror technique" over weekend seminars... so I think I agree with what everyone is saying, where if you learned in the IDF, or from a serious Israeli, you will be ok, but if you're learning from a self-promoter teching quickly for money, you're not going anywhere.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Once when Bullshido was down for maintenance I went over to sherdog to see what all the fuss was about.

When someone asked "what is the best style to defend yourself in prison" the general consensus on sherdog was that "krav maNga" was the best all around MA. What a bunch circkle jerking dumbasses...
    That seems like an obvious joke to me. Kinda like back in the day when we used to tell the kids that DP meant "Donkey Punch", & then they started donkey punching their chicks. My GF got so mad when she found out that guys like me spread that around the Interwebs back in the day so her high school boyfriend punched her in the back of the head & thought it would be cool.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 7:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Of course, being better than crap doesn't make it great, but I've heard krav maga get shot down from people defending styles with loads of bullshit. Glass houses, stones.

Also, Bas Rutten likes it.
    I figure that Bas is probably talking about KM at the better end of the spectrum, not the craptastic Taeboesque cardio-KravMaga for housewives who don't know how to properly swing a skillet.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 7:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    This is a video of a dude running his trap.
    That's all you saw there? huh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    That guy needs to work on proper form when he is shooting that pistol. He makes a lot of excessive movements that slow down him down and decrease accuracy. He might still be very accurate, but that would sacrifice speed. This is especially true for the reload. I wouldn't go to that school for tactical shooting lessons. Maybe that was just a bad example, or I hold my standards for shooting too high.

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 9:36pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Himura View Post
    That guy needs to work on proper form when he is shooting that pistol. He makes a lot of excessive movements that slow down him down and decrease accuracy. He might still be very accurate, but that would sacrifice speed. This is especially true for the reload. I wouldn't go to that school for tactical shooting lessons. Maybe that was just a bad example, or I hold my standards for shooting too high.
    What is your background with firearms? Critique helps when we know who is making it ;) As for the training in that video I was pretty pleased, I do not have the handgun experience to critique that element of it but the rest looked pretty good. Its a good example of Krav Maga. Much better than what we see in the US.
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast