Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 4:29pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    A few weeks ago I was explaining to a guy from Amsterdam that they have the best Muay Thai around, and he informed me that Muay Thai could not possibly work in the streets because they train to fight in the ring. He said he does Wing Chun which is super deadly and only for the streets. He explained that they only sparred light contact because going beyond that with Wing Chun would be too deadly.

Now, I think to be a Mcdojo they would have to charge something like 150 euros or higher a month and force you to buy their over-priced training gear and uniforms, but you can at least be sure that bullshido exists everywhere, including the Netherlands.
    Yep, Bullshido exists everywhere. Which is why I adressed McDojo. I've my share seen chi/ki knockout practitioners here as well. People everywhere love to believe that some super secret technique will win them all their fights, especially if that super secret technique doesn't require sweating and aching due to training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 4:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then the chance of a McDojo is slim for the simple reason that there is no money in martial arts. There are barely any full time instructors. Nearly all trainers have a 9to5 job and then also teach their art more for a hobby then for profit.
    Yes and a large amount of schools are run this way in America. I think people would be stunned at how much an actual Mcdojo makes. There were roughly 20 schools and college campus programs in my old McDojo. 4 made a profit 2 were profitable. All the instructors had outside jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    edit: I checked the prices of the local KM club: it's 75 euro a year and 28 euro insurance so I wouldn't put that under McDojo either.
    I know everyone fixates on price, but that isn't the only thing that makes up a McDojo. My old school was dirt cheap in America. It still is now, even if you consider the extra classes and fees.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/13/2011 4:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 12:54pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah - Im pretty sure if it was completely innefective they wouldnt teach it to the Israeil special forces, Mossad and intelligence operatives around the world. The thing is if someones got a gun or a knife pretty much any martial art is useless - but Krav Maga is probably your best bet - ceratainly MMA isnt going to help you disarm someone. Just because somethings useless for MMA doesnt mean it its useless for other applications. Point in case - I was looking on the police forum and many of them swear by Aikido and JJJ wrist locks for subduing criminals - these martial arts are next to useless for MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 1:11pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    Nah - Im pretty sure if it was completely innefective they wouldnt teach it to the Israeil special forces, Mossad and intelligence operatives around the world. The thing is if someones got a gun or a knife pretty much any martial art is useless - but Krav Maga is probably your best bet - ceratainly MMA isnt going to help you disarm someone. Just because somethings useless for MMA doesnt mean it its useless for other applications. Point in case - I was looking on the police forum and many of them swear by Aikido and JJJ wrist locks for subduing criminals - these martial arts are next to useless for MMA.
    Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just find it hard to believe that Jews would learn a martial art to defend themselves against fascists in WW2 if it was complete Bullshido. I find it even harder to believe that the IDF would still be using it now if it were useless. Anyway here are two threads on the UK police forum , Trad Jujitsu/BJJ (though they make the point being on the floor is not good for a policeman) seems to be the most popular but Aikido and Krav maga also seem to be viewed favourably :

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/inde..._1#entry257710

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/inde..._1#entry364829
    Last edited by Gustard; 4/20/2011 1:39pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 1:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it easy to believe you didn't read the thread. Oh and LOL@forumpostsasproof. I always enjoy how a post about MMA immediately brings out RBSD nuts on any forum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 4:24pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just find it hard to believe that Jews would learn a martial art to defend themselves against fascists in WW2 if it was complete Bullshido. I find it even harder to believe that the IDF would still be using it now if it were useless. Anyway here are two threads on the UK police forum , Trad Jujitsu/BJJ (though they make the point being on the floor is not good for a policeman) seems to be the most popular but Aikido and Krav maga also seem to be viewed favourably :

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/inde..._1#entry257710

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/inde..._1#entry364829
    Saying what the jews learned to fight the fascists in a war is the same as what weekend warriors learn twice a week in a strip mall is like saying that the tkd that the ancient demigods of korea used to kick armed warriors off their horses is the same as what other weekend warriors do in the same stripmall. which is to say it's uncompromisingly factual and relevant to any discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 7:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Saying what the jews learned to fight the fascists in a war is the same as what weekend warriors learn twice a week in a strip mall is like saying that the tkd that the ancient demigods of korea used to kick armed warriors off their horses is the same as what other weekend warriors do in the same stripmall. which is to say it's uncompromisingly factual and relevant to any discussion.
    Well I cant argue with that - your logic is infallible.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys can we stop now? The joke is dead.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 10:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just find it hard to believe that Jews would learn a martial art to defend themselves against fascists in WW2 if it was complete Bullshido.
    I don't think you know your World War 2 history very well.
    Here's a hint:
    You'd be much better off studying the martial arts the Americans, British, and Soviets used to defend themselves against the facists in World War 2. The Jews? Not so much.
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21 LastLast