Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 3:23pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a noob, keep that in mind ;)

@Ashkuff: Only kicking Ive been taught so far (three months) are a simple one to the knee. Our teacher doesnt like kicks. Bad for your balance. Knee's during standup grappling are incouraged though. Havent gotten to gun-disarms yet.

It's all about the proportionate use of violence. We're taught to block/counter, shove and run the **** away first if possible. Only when fleeing isnt an option we have to go "all out" and even then its just to incapacitate him. Breaking joints and such are only used as a last resort. But I havent been to other KM schools so mine might be different in that regard. Its more bouncer/policemen orientated. In fact we've got a couple of them training there. Flee, control or disable. That pretty much sums it up.

If the same guy starts trouble with you first, however, then the jumping-face-breaking moves might be okay to execute, but you'll be less likely to pull them off because your opponent will be ready for them.
    True but that's why we spar against resisting opponents who are full aware we're trying to perform a certain technique on them. Also, surprise attacks are normal in KM. Hell I got jumped by 2 guys during class an hour ago.

@PrinceVlad: Yeah a lot of guys at my school do other styles as well for the reasons you mentioned.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuff View Post
    Well, like I said, this all pretty hypothetical.
    So forgive me if this is bulls***.

But I've heard tell from a Krav friend...

I've also heard that a few...

Again, this last part is based only on the demo videos I've seen.

A lot of Krav appears to assume ...

For example,...

Again, this is all hearsay.
    Hmm, a persuasive point of view. Er, may be not.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:32pm

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rzero View Post
    Also, surprise attacks are normal in KM. Hell I got jumped by 2 guys during class an hour ago.
    Prefacing my comment with the insistence that I'm not being glib, if a fighting art is even remotely effective, shouldn't two guys beat one guy every time when they jump him by surprise? I may not be following the purpose of the drill correctly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No not really. The goal isnt to beat 2 guys. It is to fend them off so I can get out of there.

The purpose of the drills is to keep us alert. Someone else could always join the fight. Perhaps a friend of the attacker, or just some drunk. With the surprise attacks we learn not to panic when this happens and to keep an eye out for other attackers while facing an opponent.

I do not have the illusion that I can beat 2 or more guys at once, nor is this being taught to me. But I'm pretty sure that in such a situation I can keep the damage to myself to a minimum while creating an opportunity for me to escape.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The purpose of the drills is to keep us alert. Someone else could always join the fight. Perhaps a friend of the attacker, or just some drunk. With the surprise attacks we learn not to panic when this happens and to keep an eye out for other attackers while facing an opponent.
    Perhaps you should learn how to be more charming instead. At least that way, all those drunks might join your side of the fight!

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only drunks I know are my friends, and to be honest, they'd be too scared to fight.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 6:35pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No not really. The goal isnt to beat 2 guys. It is to fend them off so I can get out of there.

I do not have the illusion that I can beat 2 or more guys at once, nor is this being taught to me. But I'm pretty sure that in such a situation I can keep the damage to myself to a minimum while creating an opportunity for me to escape.
    But to be able to fend someone off you'd have to be better than them, overwise they'd overwhlem you. I can't remember where I read it on here, maybe in someones sig but it was a quote saying to beat two people, the only you chance you have is to be tougher than both of them. Personally I think this is the only way to deal with multiple attackers apart from a gun. Scenarios set up in self defence classes are too structured, they're deaiged to look chaotic but you'll always know that someone will come at you which is a luxury.

That's part of my main problem with Krav, it teaches people to run before they can walk and in some ways teaches them to be a jack of all trades but not in a good sense, it trains them in lots of areas whilst actually giving them a very weak core to work off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But to be able to fend someone off you'd have to be better than them, overwise they'd overwhlem you. I can't remember where I read it on here, maybe in someones sig but it was a quote saying to beat two people, the only you chance you have is to be tougher than both of them. Personally I think this is the only way to deal with multiple attackers apart from a gun. Scenarios set up in self defence classes are too structured, they're deaiged to look chaotic but you'll always know that someone will come at you which is a luxury.
    True although a large part of fending them off has to do with simple positioning. Keep moving around so attacker A is always in the way of attacker B. But thats a really hard thing to do when you get caught of guard. I guess thats why "Toughening up" and conditioning is an important part of KM.

That's part of my main problem with Krav, it teaches people to run before they can walk and in some ways teaches them to be a jack of all trades but not in a good sense, it trains them in lots of areas whilst actually giving them a very weak core to work off.
    Agreed. For example I wish I knew how to break a fall (yeah I know: JUDO) before I signed up for this. Now Im learning the hard way ;)

Guess KM is better as an add-on skill like most people here say. I'm planning to add another style later this year (as Ive said before).

Still, I'm having fun and my cardio has improved a lot. So at least as a fitness class, it has its merits ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 4:32am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I agree, this is the problem with most Krav schools. Telling people that they will be able to defend themselves in an aggressive street fight after a few weeks training is extremely misleading and dangerous. The school I go to is as tough and physical as the training I get at the MMA and BJJ club - If it wasn't that tough then there would no point in doing it. If you go to a school that doesn't have big tough students, no matter how good the instructor is the training will be lacking. A club that markets themselves toward attracting obese couch potatoes who think they can learn the d34dly in 8 weeks is useless. I've seen that in my own country - some schools attract rugby players and gigantic Eastern European fight fanatics whereas others end up with housewives and ageing fat guys who are going through mid life crises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 6:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Telling people that they will be able to defend themselves in an aggressive street fight after a few weeks training is extremely misleading and dangerous.
    Absolutely. Fortunately my KM school never made such claims or garantees (yet). KM is still new for the Netherlands. McDojoism hasnt sunk its teeth in it (yet).

Students here vary from big tough mma-types to housewives to people who need it for their profession. And weak office clerks like me :)

I still think Krav Maga is teh_awesomz but I do remain sceptical. No BS so far.