Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... Last

Thread: Krav Maga Redux

  1. #1
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    8,439
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Krav Maga Redux





    Omega Supreme suggested another or new thread on Krav Maga, as the Pete M. vs Bullshido thread was drifting.

    So here we go.

    I googled Krav Maga and here is the first hit.
    http://www.kravmaga.com/


    Plus, Omega's statement on the Pete. M. thread :




    Originally Posted by goodlun
    Something something about a gym in Santa Barbra that offers Krav Maga classes




    Omega replied:
    "I offer Krav Maga classes. I have a lot of respect for Krav Maga that is taught correctly. My experience is you've got a 50/50 chance to find one that actually knows what they're talking about."


    IMO, the jury is out. Omega teaches Krav Maga, I'd like to hear your extended opinion.

    Tell us about the Krav you respect.


    Last edited by BKR; 2/04/2015 5:30pm at . Reason: Forgot Photo/ Video
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  2. #2
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    8,439
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose I should give my opinion.

    For the most part, Krav Maga looks to me like another commercial opportunity for a lot of those who teach it.

    Adding martial arts aerobicize type stuff would be a good example of that. Nothing wrong with it in context, however, the false sense of security a naive person might get from that sort of training (conditioning is good, for sure) could be dangerous.

    Nothing wrong with that IF the quality of training is there, including alive training with some sort of realistic resistance. Which tends to get dicey when dealing with sharp things, eye scratching, ball squeezing, knee stomping, etc. The opportunity to get one's ass kicked relatively safely in training is extremely important to having a realistic idea of what a real confrontation could be like.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  3. #3
    Holy Moment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    5,300
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga iz sum ***** shite.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    335
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where I train, at BHJJC, Amir Perets teaches Krav Maga. Except I don't think its Krav Maga, its more like MMA for the streets. I see them doing boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, submissions etc. Not too much nonsense. In that sense I think Krav is OK. Amir has trained with many many pro MMA guys that come through the gym, so his technique and skillset is pretty good. I think if your just some krotty dork who got certified as a krav instructor, its going to be sucky.

  5. #5
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    8,439
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Krav Maga iz sum ***** shite.
    Thank you for your prompt and insightful response to this thread. It's what we have come to expect from your over the years.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  6. #6
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    8,439
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn View Post
    Where I train, at BHJJC, Amir Perets teaches Krav Maga. Except I don't think its Krav Maga, its more like MMA for the streets. I see them doing boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, submissions etc. Not too much nonsense. In that sense I think Krav is OK. Amir has trained with many many pro MMA guys that come through the gym, so his technique and skillset is pretty good. I think if your just some krotty dork who got certified as a krav instructor, its going to be sucky.
    Thank you for putting in a good set up for Devil to go off on...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  7. #7
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    8,439
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a Krav Maga "Black Belt Exam". Not sure which level of black belt, but not high from what I gather from the video.

    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    335
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Thank you for putting in a good set up for Devil to go off on...
    I don't even....

  9. #9
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,596
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Do you really think it's as high as 50/50 though? Honestly? Come on, bruh.

    If I had to give it a number I'd put it at about 10/90.
    If I had to give a number it would be 90/10 that if you do Krav Maga your going to be a douche bag that now thinks your some sort of Mossad hand to hand killing machine.

    I sort of look at Krav Maga the same way I look at WW2 Combatives.
    If your being taught by Carl Cestari and you are learning Judo(insert list of acceptable judo alternatives) in conjunction with it.
    Your probably going to be alright.
    Still though it seems to me you would be much better served learning Dog Brothers if self defense was your primary goal.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

  10. #10
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    8,439
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by benonmsn View Post
    I don't even....
    Your contribution is way better than Holy Moment's, so don't feel too bad.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO