Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 6:11am

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nizz0b Intro: Liu Ho Pa Fa

Greetings! Quite a forum you have here...

I am 24, male, 183 cm, 91 kg. I began my martial arts training with Aikido, at the age of 8, which lasted for 3 years. I trained under Kushida Sensei, who was a ninth Dan breakaway and founder of Yoshenkai Aikido. He's genuinely good at Aikido, far more instructor than I needed at age 8, but he was in my hometown. I learned how to roll, and a certain amount about how to throw.

When I was in highschool I played lacrosse, which makes the deadly bodycheck my first attack instinct. Really only works if you're getting involved late in the game...I developed a love for smacking people with sticks that persists to this day.

I came back to the martial arts when I discovered a Pa Kua (Bagua) instructor called Choi Wai-Lun. I took some Pa Kua, enough to learn really one good trick (a way of using your knees and foot to trip someone while keeping under your own center) and to decide that I wasn't ready for it. I went back three years ago, at which point I began in earnest.

I train in two styles at the moment: Hsing I Chuan, and an obscure internal art called Liu Ho Pa Fa, which is my teacher's specialty. He is a former judoka and muay thai boxer who took to the internal arts to become a more effective fighter, and won the 1971 full-contact martial arts tournament in singapore, which earned him the lineage also.

The philosophy of Xingyi is well known here, and I will not presume to expound, as you have such a gracious advocate as jenfucious already. Liu Ho Pa Fa is sometimes called a combination of the other internal arts, and indeed the long form (which I have not studied) is a compendium of some 700 moves. The 12 Animals, which take awhile to get the hang of, have a distinctive sort of diagonalized motion to them. This article contains a summary; I recommend skipping the chinese-y stuff if that ain't your style and cutting straight to the question: "Do you feel that instruction of the internal systems in the United States focuses too much on the health benefits and too little on the practical fighting aspects of the arts?" to get a feel for what we're about.

We train in forms, kicks, hand strikes, chin na, and take downs. I recognize that this doesn't include grappling, and intend this summer to rectify that. The kicks are all in the muay thai style and our hand guard is a practical, i chaun, neutral one: elbows in, hands up, body diagonal in cat stance. We do some full-contact sparring, but mostly resisting-opponent technique drills that get increasingly open-ended. Major downside is that there's maybe 40 of us all told, and I end up training with the less than 15 who are at or above my level.

I believe the difference between internal and external style is analogous to the difference between a violin and a piano. A piano has a relatively shallow learning curve, and a pianist who put in the same number of hours as a violinist will be making better musice faster. However, if that pianist ever wants to have the subtleties of note control of the violin, vibrato, true harmony etc, they are going to have to take up the violin, because the piano will never offer them that.

Similarly. In the three years I have studied these arts, I have gained much. I move better, breathe better, am more alert, and have gained some measure of fighting skill yet untested outside of the occasional friendly spar. I've reached a point where I know I can dominate the unskilled and the underskilled, and yet, I know also that there is a whole class of fighter, most members of which could hand me my ass. Finding y'all was good timing.

If I had spend my three years on BJJ, EBMAS WT, MT, or straight-up judo, I'd be a better fighter than I am right now. But I spent that time training my body mechanics and breathing, sometimes slowly, often at speed, and I'm glad that I did for the benefits it projects into my entire life.

But goddamn it I can't grapple and I know it. Incidentally, when my sifu was asked about the shoot, and had one demonstrated, he sprawled/pancaked on it without a second's hesitation. It's just, we don't practice it :-)

So that's where I'm at. I'm happy to answer any questions and be good-natured about any flaming, ribbing, or STFU n00bing you may have to offer.

Xango
    Hu!
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the party!!!

I couldn't find anything in your post worthy of flaming, maybe next time noob.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 11:20am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Nizz0b Intro: Liu Ho Pa Fa

Originally posted by Xango

I am 24, male, 183 cm, 91 kg. I began my martial arts training with Aikido, at the age of 8, which lasted for 3 years. I trained under Kushida Sensei, who was a ninth Dan breakaway and founder of Yoshenkai Aikido. He's genuinely good at Aikido, far more instructor than I needed at age 8, but he was in my hometown. I learned how to roll, and a certain amount about how to throw.

When I was in highschool I played lacrosse, which makes the deadly bodycheck my first attack instinct. Really only works if you're getting involved late in the game...I developed a love for smacking people with sticks that persists to this day.

I came back to the martial arts when I discovered a Pa Kua (Bagua) instructor called Choi Wai-Lun. I took some Pa Kua, enough to learn really one good trick (a way of using your knees and foot to trip someone while keeping under your own center) and to decide that I wasn't ready for it. I went back three years ago, at which point I began in earnest.

I train in two styles at the moment: Hsing I Chuan, and an obscure internal art called Liu Ho Pa Fa, which is my teacher's specialty. He is a former judoka and muay thai boxer who took to the internal arts to become a more effective fighter, and won the 1971 full-contact martial arts tournament in singapore, which earned him the lineage also.

The philosophy of Xingyi is well known here, and I will not presume to expound, as you have such a gracious advocate as jenfucious already. Liu Ho Pa Fa is sometimes called a combination of the other internal arts, and indeed the long form (which I have not studied) is a compendium of some 700 moves. The 12 Animals, which take awhile to get the hang of, have a distinctive sort of diagonalized motion to them. This article contains a summary; I recommend skipping the chinese-y stuff if that ain't your style and cutting straight to the question: "Do you feel that instruction of the internal systems in the United States focuses too much on the health benefits and too little on the practical fighting aspects of the arts?" to get a feel for what we're about.

We train in forms, kicks, hand strikes, chin na, and take downs. I recognize that this doesn't include grappling, and intend this summer to rectify that. The kicks are all in the muay thai style and our hand guard is a practical, i chaun, neutral one: elbows in, hands up, body diagonal in cat stance. We do some full-contact sparring, but mostly resisting-opponent technique drills that get increasingly open-ended. Major downside is that there's maybe 40 of us all told, and I end up training with the less than 15 who are at or above my level.

I believe the difference between internal and external style is analogous to the difference between a violin and a piano. A piano has a relatively shallow learning curve, and a pianist who put in the same number of hours as a violinist will be making better musice faster. However, if that pianist ever wants to have the subtleties of note control of the violin, vibrato, true harmony etc, they are going to have to take up the violin, because the piano will never offer them that.

Similarly. In the three years I have studied these arts, I have gained much. I move better, breathe better, am more alert, and have gained some measure of fighting skill yet untested outside of the occasional friendly spar. I've reached a point where I know I can dominate the unskilled and the underskilled, and yet, I know also that there is a whole class of fighter, most members of which could hand me my ass. Finding y'all was good timing.

If I had spend my three years on BJJ, EBMAS WT, MT, or straight-up judo, I'd be a better fighter than I am right now. But I spent that time training my body mechanics and breathing, sometimes slowly, often at speed, and I'm glad that I did for the benefits it projects into my entire life.

But goddamn it I can't grapple and I know it. Incidentally, when my sifu was asked about the shoot, and had one demonstrated, he sprawled/pancaked on it without a second's hesitation. It's just, we don't practice it :-)

So that's where I'm at. I'm happy to answer any questions and be good-natured about any flaming, ribbing, or STFU n00bing you may have to offer.

Xango
    Hu!

ahem*

OMFG, talk about yourself much? What's the matter psychotherapy ain't working and you're tired of your mom hanging up on you? Do you still play with play dough and eat glue? Where are the fluffy pink clouds? Tell your Shi fu to castrate you before you procreate for god's sake!!!!

Welcome to Bullshido.

(God damn, cum sucking, hemroid licking, cum going out a gay man's ass after a multiple gang **** newbies!!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 11:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    xango, if you'd have posted everything you set in different posts you would have been a heavyweight by now. Long posts get crappy reactions....

"Santa is dead kid, welcome to the suck"

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am 24, male, 183 cm, 91 kg. I began my martial arts training with Aikido, at the age of 8, which lasted for 3 years.

Xango
    Hu!

Damn metric system!:rolleyes: And whats worse, you start with "i began my martial arts training with aikido..." You should have said "I began embarassment with aikido, then I saught out martial arts..."

More kung fooey bullshit, pffft.

Please dont eagle claW me in my throat and cause me to bite mine own tounge off, then palm strike my adams apple therafter causing me to swallow it.

Oh, and one last thing....

Welcome to Bullshido! :p
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

As the internet turns - omega

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Re: Nizz0b Intro: Liu Ho Pa Fa

Originally posted by Deluxe247

Please dont eagle claW me in my throat and cause me to bite mine own tongue off, then palm strike my adams apple therafter causing me to swallow it.
    Hey! That's a closed-door technique! You're supposed to learn how to levitate before Sifu teaches that! No fair!

:D

-Xango
    Hu!

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am 24, male, 183 cm, 91 kg.
    Seems like you came here seeking male company, fag. Wrong forum, we are all happily heterossexual here (I mean, at least those who do have a sexual life - the others are theoretically heterossexual, in an unhappy way).

Welcome to bullshido.

The kicks are all in the muay thai style and our hand guard is a practical, i chaun, neutral one: elbows in, hands up, body diagonal in cat stance.
    You mean i-chuan guard? Could you talk more about i-chuan? I am curious about that style.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

game dog

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 1:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The analogy between the piano and the violin is an interesting one. It should be pointed out that the learning curve on the piano does not stop, that you can play stuff on pianos that is way more complex than anything conceivably playable on a violin, and that the vast majority of the great composers used a piano (or whatever keyboard instrument they had at the time) to compose their stuff (probably including their violin pieces).
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Beatdown Richie
    The analogy between the piano and the violin is an interesting one. It should be pointed out that the learning curve on the piano does not stop, that you can play stuff on pianos that is way more complex than anything conceivably playable on a violin, and that the vast majority of the great composers used a piano (or whatever keyboard instrument they had at the time) to compose their stuff (probably including their violin pieces).
    Is this still about MA or are we gonna discuss our garden decoration next?

game dog

Posted On:
    3/12/2004 1:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for going off-topic. But feel free to tell us about your back yard, I'm all ears.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast