北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My upcoming Judo rank test

I am going to do something here that I generally refrain from doing, which is talking about my rank. Usually when asked, I simply say I am above white belt and below black. However, I feel it is worth it so that people can see what testing in Judo is like, and perhaps learn some things along with me. If you find yourself thinking, "What? He's only a...?" I ask you to consider my posting history and that I try to avoid pontificating too much or schooling people on technique. (Also, in relation to other general martial art posting, I do have a bb in TKD, have dabbled in a smattering of other arts, wrestled for a year, done defensive tactics, etc.)

I am currently a yonkyu (green) and will be testing for my sankyu (first brown). The test is tentatively scheduled for the last weekend in March. And it will actually be my first time testing in Judo!

You see, my first judo club, where I was promoted to gokyu (green), promoted through the lower ranks Bjj style. What I mean is, they gave you green when you could hang with the greens. They gave you blue when you could hang with the blues, etc. I don't think they required testing until you got to brown, which IIRC was nikyu for them. Then I moved and switched to my current club. The sensei evaluated me and let me keep my green belt, only here green is yonkyu. So I got a defacto promotion. Now, he deems me ready for sankyu, and they test for all rank, so here I go.

I will be testing as a non-competitor because I did not compete at all last year and only competed once the year before. I do enjoy competition, and see it as important. But frankly, between work and family time I barely have to to train, let alone compete. It is was it is. Feel free to bust my balls if you wish.

Next post I will talk about the testing requirements.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 11:10am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck. Your other school sounds cool.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, good luck man

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck to you. Just a minor correction, you will be going to sankyu which is 3rd kyu or 3rd brown. First brown would be ikkyu.

If you are in the United States competing infrequently is not a big deal in my view especially when your consider family and career commitments. So what if you're a recreational judoka. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people would have you believe you're a lesser judoka if you are not competing in shiai every other weekend.

Also, I have no issue with the way you were promoted before. In my opinion a "green belt" is just an advanced "white belt".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 1:31pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck on your grading.
    And I'm curious as to how a brown belt test is conducted at your dojo.

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 1:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck with the test and on getting back to doing more Judo. Once you have that third kyu you will have more power than you could possibly imagine and will be able to explain to dan grades what is and isn't kuzushi. Then, yours is the tatami and everything that's on it. And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 2:09pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck. And remember Kipling's poem as kindly alluded to by judoka_uk.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Good luck with the test and on getting back to doing more Judo. Once you have that third kyu you will have more power than you could possibly imagine and will be able to explain to dan grades what is and isn't kuzushi. Then, yours is the tatami and everything that's on it. And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
    speaking as a sankyu myself...

it's all true. every word of it.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 8:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. When I have more time tomorrow I will post the testing requirements.

And lol @ j_uk. I will keep that in mind when I post in future threads you start.
    Last edited by JudOWNED; 2/26/2011 8:15pm at .

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 8:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, good man. I remeber when I got my 3rd kyu. I was so pleased with myself, although mainly because I got it through competing and therefore thought I was some Judo competition god.

And thusly strutted around the dojo like I owned the place until my national champ coach got a hold of me and showed me literally every fucking inch of the mat. He worked his way through the entire first 3 sets of the gokyo and threw me fucking hard. After that I understood, how much of a turd I still was, lol.

Perspective and hindsight are a beautiful thing.

Just for context this was the same coach who I turned up on day one as white belt, but having been a junior blue belt and watched these videos:

And genuinely thought I could throw him with this. I attempted it and ended up just falling on my arse. He then proceeded to be very nice to me and only show me the four corners of the dojo.

Later I tried it on again in newaza, again convinced I could own him with my junior blue belt/white belt powers I got swept, sub-ed and smirked at for 5 minutes.

Now we're really good mates and we shoot the **** all the time, I go round his house to watch UFC and he's my mentor as regards good Judo and life. As he guided me to my dan grade and generally being slightly less of a cock, lol.

So no matter how much of a douche you feel you are with good Judo everyone will eventually see the light.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast