Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 8:55am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started FMA in May last year.

For the first few weeks, I thought loads of it was similar to my Aikido. As time has progressed, it is looking less and less like it.

Whether that's true and things have developed, or whether I just have a better set of references for the FMA than just "that looks familiar", I can't be sure

On the upside, after functioning like I have special needs for most of the class, I ROCK at the wristlock bits!

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't really learn anything like a wrist lock until we got into guntings, which was after the 12 angles w/ 3 counters each, the same but mano vs baston, mano y mano, some panantukan, 1-12 + defenses on the left side vs the right, then left vs left, 3 step circular footwork against 12 angles (this one was kinda aikido-ish), and various other skills. The gunting can lead into a position where you trap their weapon hand, often in a sort of wrist lock. It's actually not too difficult since their baston applies extra leverage and gives you more to work with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 4:08pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so most fma is at least a little aikidoish, that is good to know. For the record I don't have a problem with aikido (trained in it for a few years), I just didn't want to do an fma that was really aikido in disguise.

Perma, did your style make you start with a single stick then go to double then single and knife and so on leading up to mano mano? That might explain why our classes were so different I'm not sure we are going to follow that pattern though how ours is going to fit together I have no idea hopefully I will get more info sunday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    I just got back from a trial class from a modern arnis school and was a bit disappointed.

The only reason I am writing this is that it started out looking promising, but hit red flag city pretty early on, I was wondering if any of the fma bullies out there could let me know if I should just deal with the craziness until the instructor decides we are ready to start pounding each other with sticks, or just back away slowly.

I get there, sign the form and we stand in a circle. He talks for about 20 minutes about arnis and explains some history which is a bit boring but expected on a first day. After this we start a sinwali (sp) drill and work up to faster and more complicated striking and footwork....for about 20 minutes...

After that we put down the sticks and do what I can only describe as aikido. The rest of the two hour class was devoted to him talking and us working escapes and wrist locks from wrist grabs. He even asked me if I was "immune" to a pressure point/aikido wrist lock he tried to work on me. Needless to say since I was expecting to end the class exhausted and paranoid of flying sticks this is not what I expected the class to be like. I at least expected to leave with a welt or two.

So bullies, is it normal for an intense fma class to do this kind of stuff at first and then get into the more hardcore fighting or should I just keep looking?
    probably trying not to get too intense too quickly so as not to scare off new students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 12:01pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe you should come back later and see if the lessons change to your liking,
    or even better just ask the trainer.
    thats also a great way to figure out if the trainer is full of it or not.

The trainer also might have a lot of Aikido mixed to win over complete beginners of MA
    you can swing a stick for three hours and not feel stronger/better or more secure.
    however wristlocks to beginners are like magic.
    taking down bigger and stronger opponents with ease makes them feel like they CAN
    really learn martial arts.

so it a great welcoming for sure,
    just not for you.
    speak with the trainer and come back later or just start and wait.

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Perma, did your style make you start with a single stick then go to double then single and knife and so on leading up to mano mano?
    Aell, we do single stick first and the beginning mano mano stuff is very similar to it, but basically class tends to be single stick, then mano mano. I haven't learned any double stick stuff yet, and we've just done a little knife stuff (and sometimes he has us do our basic stick drills with metal bolo trainers).

One of the guys I train FMA with happens to be an aikido instructor and is involved in law enforcement, as an agent and as a trainer. He lost his right index finger in a gunfight so there was a big obstacle to overcome for weapon arts, but he's gone on to be very good with sticks. I think it's really cool to get aikido bits here and there from a guy that's actually seen a lot of violence.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 12:58pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The FMA guys at our school do some wrist locks, but it seems to be with the intent of either disarming the other guy, or controlling the weapon in that hand.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 1:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrist locks aren't too hard to get when your partner/opponent has a stick in their hand. The weapon actually makes it a lot easier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 8:26am

Style: Lightning Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the sounds of it you should probably look for another FMA club to train at. The class does not fulfill your martial arts needs. If you were interested in the wrist lock stuff then that would be good but it sounds like it didn't win you over.

In my case, picking a martial arts system to train in was always a matter of whether the system and I clicked on the first day. So far that's what's been happening.

In any case, I think you should take these guys' advice anyway: Go to another one or two classes before you make up your mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2011 6:00pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Aell, we do single stick first and the beginning mano mano stuff is very similar to it, but basically class tends to be single stick, then mano mano. I haven't learned any double stick stuff yet, and we've just done a little knife stuff (and sometimes he has us do our basic stick drills with metal bolo trainers).

One of the guys I train FMA with happens to be an aikido instructor and is involved in law enforcement, as an agent and as a trainer. He lost his right index finger in a gunfight so there was a big obstacle to overcome for weapon arts, but he's gone on to be very good with sticks. I think it's really cool to get aikido bits here and there from a guy that's actually seen a lot of violence.
    I noticed in my old aikido class when I went to big seminars there were always a few people missing digits and I did bjj with a guy who didn't have his index finger for a while....er i did bjj for a while with a guy who didn't have his index finger. He was a really nice guy, I never asked him how he lost it though. I was always impressed how they could go through class and not be visibally hindered at all.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast