Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 1:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyuki-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fixing the metabolism after too low caloric intake

So in the course of my attempts to both lose weight and gain strength and endurance, I have found that I have been eating too few calories for a long time. I maybe consume 1200 calories per day at most.

This would explain why I gain weight whenever I try to eat breakfast (I have been eating only two meals for a long time in attempts to lose weight).

My weight is up to 155 pounds. My height is 5'1".

So, I would like to have an estimate of how long it could take for my body to adjust the metabolism to a decent amount of calories.

The weight gain I will undoubtedly take on during this process will be pretty damned traumatic to my psyche. Having a timetable to work with should help minimise the mental trauma.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 2:11pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inch your intake back up and it shouldn't be too bad. In my experience, it is always better to eat more and exercise more than to eat less and exercise. It's all about calorie deficit, but one way feels much better than the other.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 2:56pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about instituting a weekly cheat meal to "shock" (I hate that term) metabolism a bit? Wolf down a big honkin' steak and sweet potato or something like that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 3:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i could do a mix of both methods. i'll eat breakfast everyday and a steak dinner on saturday nights.

i'll let you all know how much more weight i gain in 30 or so days. or not.
    Last edited by jeane; 2/23/2011 3:34pm at . Reason: can't spell

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exercise more, and sleep well in the knowledge that your weight gain is muscle and not fat.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 9:12pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    What about instituting a weekly cheat meal to "shock" (I hate that term) metabolism a bit? Wolf down a big honkin' steak and sweet potato or something like that.
    A few gurus like J.B. seem to think your metabolism doesn't work this way and that you need quite a few days of high calorie to really "confuse" it. Cheat meals are still useful for low carb diets and general mental health though.

OP: Start a diet log, I'd like to see whether its your maths or your metabolism thats stuffed.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 11:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what is a diet log that you recommend?

i just started one at nutrimirror. today's intake was 1573, but i had a second helping at dinner and i haven't usually been doing that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 8:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should try to eatv more low GI (Glycemic Index) carbs in one day, like beans, or an apple. Increase your calorie intake of maybie 100 calories per day untill you reach something descent.

In short, more the GI of food is low the harder it to convert it's carbs into fat. For example, it's like if you eat 500 calories of apples, you won't get fat but if you eat 500 calories of cake, you will.

Go find a GI chart and try as much as possible to eat carbs with low IG (under 40). It's also going to help you losing weight. According to your weight and eight, you could eat about 1800 calories a day, and that would probably be enough to lose weight and not being in a too large deficit.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the input.

I am thinking this all started when I went back to school (no more restaurant lunch out of the office everyday). I also cut back on red meat at the same time but didn't really replace it with anything. I'll add that back in.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 11:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    update: after adding a protein (20g) smoothie as breakfast i am feeling a lot better physically(i didn't expect that, i thought it was just age). i also cut back on the coffee in the morning without thinking about it.

however my sleep has become messed up(hard to get to sleep). is that natural for this kind of change?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast