Posted On:
    2/22/2011 11:14pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blind guy with a shotgun

Like Hobo With a Shotgun, but funnier.

So I got the OK from the future Mrs. Stick, cause, ya know, that's important, and so it's time for me to embrace my 2nd amendment right and get a shotty.

As a legally blind half-man, I'll never really be able to carry in public. I have knives, and that will just have to be good enough for me. So no hand guns.

However, at home, I am in a castle- even in Maryland, kinda sorta- so I must defend my castle with overwhelming firepower of the it's-ok-if-your-aim-isn't-so-great variety.

I, like so many others, had been really excited about the Kel-Tec KSG bull pup 14+1 dual tube shotgun.

However, after these exact words from our own Lord Skeletor

1. First and foremost, the trigger reset is the biggest glaring problem. It's an issue that can cause you to get killed trying to clear a malfunction. It's got to be addressed and fixed.

2. There are some ergonomic issues that have to be worked out that directly relate to function and safety:

a) There needs be a definitive pump-lock switch
    b) Due to it's overall shortened length, there's nothing to stop your hand from sliding off and in front of the barrel. This is a bullpup, so in the process of racking your slide, you hand could easily slide off the front of the pump and in front of the muzzle. If you're in the midst of an auto-trigger/rapid fire sequence, you could blow your fucking hand off kind of easily.
    ... my ardor for the KSG is some what diminished.

Oh, and here's a pretty clear video of the trigger reset issue, which is bad.

Also, in that first video of the KSG I posted, I can definitely see what he means about the short length and the pump action ending up with a shot off hand. I think this may be a lot less likely with a solid forward grip attached tot he pump, but without it, well, even just watching the footage of someone working that gun without a grip kinda made me cringe- you can see their grip wobble.

I mean, I really love the idea of 15 rounds and an overall length of 26", but I hate the idea of shooting my hand off or having the thing simply not fire. So, I asked Skeletor for a his recommendations around the same price range- roughly $600-800, though less is of course fine.

He came up with the Benelli M1 S90 or the Beretta 1201. I got to use both at last year's Camp Skeletor.

I have to say, there is something awesome to be said for a semi-auto shotgun, but I may be willing to go and just get a Mossberg 500 for half the price.

Decisions, decisions...

I'll be stopping by my local gun store, Atlantic Guns- less than a block from my apartment-, to see what they have and maybe ask a few questions. I know Benelliusa.com lists them as a vendor, but I don't know about Beretta yet. I've been in there a few times, and they have a pretty sizable collection of new stuff under glass and behind the counter and a whole wall of, apparently, used shottys in the back.

So, Bullies, have any suggestions?

Questions, comments, concerns?

Oh, and for the record, my poorly sighted ass will be slapping a red dot on my shotgun :-P

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 11:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let him fool you folks. The half blind guy shot me just fine when I was the bad guy at the first Camp Skeletor.

I bought the Benelli Supernova 12 Ga. because I'm too cheap to buy a semi-auto shotgun. While the rifle stock pistol grip configuration I bought took some getting used to, the recoil benefit makes it the first 12 Ga. my wife can fire without getting bruised. This in turn has made her more comfortable with the shotgun. Mission accomplished.

The ability to eject shells from the tube without chambering them first is a nice feature of the Benelli.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 1:25am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, remember that you still have to aim with a shotgun. Other than that, this disabled gun owner salutes you.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick, what about the KSG appealed? The round capacity? The funky bullpup space-gun design?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Please, remember that you still have to aim with a shotgun. Other than that, this disabled gun owner salutes you.

You certainly do. Spread for Buckshot roughly works out to about 1 inch PER YARD out to about 25 yards (depending upon brand/load/number of pellets). So even up close, there is a good deal of aiming which has to be done.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 9:51pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple of things, Young.

Sure, it doesn't hurt that the thing looks like a ray gun.

The shortened bull-pup design appeals to my desire for something compact and sturdy. I have a small place, tight corners and all, I don't want barrel jutting out too far in front of me when I come through a door or around a corner.

The magazine capacity also helps- I'm confident I can hit my target and all, but no one ever lost a gun fight because they had too many rounds. Also, very cool that you can select from one tube or the other to fire from; could maybe keep one tube loaded with bean bag rounds so it's always ready to fire something less-lethal, the other tube could stand empty and get slugs or buck shot in the event something needs to be hit much, much harder.

Also, shiny already built in rails, but those can be put on anything.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Couple of things, Young.

Sure, it doesn't hurt that the thing looks like a ray gun.

The shortened bull-pup design appeals to my desire for something compact and sturdy. I have a small place, tight corners and all, I don't want barrel jutting out too far in front of me when I come through a door or around a corner.

The magazine capacity also helps- I'm confident I can hit my target and all, but no one ever lost a gun fight because they had too many rounds. Also, very cool that you can select from one tube or the other to fire from; could maybe keep one tube loaded with bean bag rounds so it's always ready to fire something less-lethal, the other tube could stand empty and get slugs or buck shot in the event something needs to be hit much, much harder.

Also, shiny already built in rails, but those can be put on anything.
    OK. I didn't see the tube selection option. That's cool. Although I imagine in a home invasion scenario you'd be too busy to fiddle with switches. (Just my imagination. I'm sure it's very helpful.)

We once had a short-barrelled pump-action shotgun, modified for riot police. Fabarm, I think it was. I used it for sheet shooting.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2011 11:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Like Hobo With a Shotgun, but funnier.
    When I saw the thread title I was hoping it would be about a grittier gun battle ridden version of Blind Fury and I rejoiced...

Then I watched that trailer...

Just like the Expendables this wil either be awesomely good or awesomey bad but either way it will be awesome.

re. the KSG Ithink there are planned production changes to fix the triger issue and provide a vertical foregrip.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...num=1296065107

Don't know if that changes anything for you.
    Last edited by Joz; 3/07/2011 11:23am at .