3/21/2011 12:43pm

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    I got an A.
    Congrats.

{Puts on Psychology Professor Hat}

I hope you formatted your references using proper APA style.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post

Athletes in all sports have been coming under harsher and harsher punishments for steroid. With more MMA fighters losing in cases where they have been found to have steroids in their system, it is getting harder and harder to justify using them. They psychological drawbacks to using the steroids do not end up giving the fighters the edge they had hoped for and in the long run end up hurting them even more in the long run.

The number of athletes caught for steroid usage has grown since I wrote this paper. So I know the statistic about 31 athletes being caught is a little low, i think it is closer to 40 now.

Anyway more articles written about jiu jitsu, mma, and training can be found at my blog http://navitabjj.blogspot.com
    jump to conclusions much? your logic here is awful, because you only take into consideration those who were caught, to surmise that roids aren't worth it based on such a biased sample (they obviously arent very good at it if they are getting caught) is to neglect people like Overreem who use it intelligently and without getting caught, and win. TBH, based simply on that if I had handed in this paper when i was doing sport psych it would have been torn to shreds.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex, assume this is a first or second year paper. The prof is more concerned about writing a paper in proper format than in seeing any ground breaking research.

The paper is fairly well written, but it is thin on actual substance. Just like all the papers people write in first year :)

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    would have failed my first year sportpsych, can guarantee that. then again, i have no idea of the schools standards, maybe they let basic statistical mistakes through. they made us do stats 101 before we set foot in psych papers to avoid this kind of thing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had to take logic, stats, and then experimental psych, before taking upper level psych classes. That way the professor gets to rip apart all of your papers!!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:38am

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    would have failed my first year sportpsych, can guarantee that. then again, i have no idea of the schools standards, maybe they let basic statistical mistakes through. they made us do stats 101 before we set foot in psych papers to avoid this kind of thing.
    Well that there was your problem, then. Writing psych papers with your feet.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 5:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    I always thought the 'roid rage' thing was a bit blown out of proportion.
    Have you ever taken steroids? Do you have a degree in any biological or behavioral science?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    TBH, based simply on that if I had handed in this paper when i was doing sport psych it would have been torn to shreds.
    Hey, we're Americans, all right, we're not held to high academic standards you jerk. If we can write our names and communicate via grunts and scratches, we're considered high school grads here.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antiherozero View Post
    Have you ever taken steroids? Do you have a degree in any biological or behavioral science?
    Why yes, I have taken steroids, but not for the reason you would think. Perhaps you should be more specific?

I have known a few people who have taken steroids who have been totally fine (in terms of 'roid rage') and some who become insufferable assholes.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    Why yes, I have taken steroids, but not for the reason you would think. Perhaps you should be more specific?

I have known a few people who have taken steroids who have been totally fine (in terms of 'roid rage') and some who become insufferable assholes.
    I'm sure the vast majority of people who take steroids, even in the competitive martial arts world, only do it under doctor prescription, so no assumptions here. I've had to take em for injuries before and they make me into an even larger asshole. I'm sure dosage is a factor, so I wouldn't be so quick to blow off the psychological side-effects, especially with people abusing them for sport gains.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antiherozero View Post
    I'm sure the vast majority of people who take steroids, even in the competitive martial arts world, only do it under doctor prescription, so no assumptions here. I've had to take em for injuries before and they make me into an even larger asshole. I'm sure dosage is a factor, so I wouldn't be so quick to blow off the psychological side-effects, especially with people abusing them for sport gains.
    'Roid rage' as it is perceived by the public and what actually occurs (increased aggression) are two totally different things. Steroids do not make people act like assholes, while they do increase the urge to. It is not the fault of the steroids if people have temper tantrums.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast