222426 Bullies, 4362 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 2:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any workplace regulation that puts employees in danger (ie - preventing them from defending themselves) is a legal ass whipping waiting to happen. It's one thing to say "Don't go around stomping shoplifters". It's another thing to say "If someone puts a gun to your head, smile politely and let them have their way". **** ain't gonna' fly.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I was him, I'd wait till my boss was at Walmart and demand my job back at gunpoint. Apparently his boss' job would be in jeopardy if he doesn't comply.

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    Wrongful termination
    Good luck with that.

And in any case, it wouldn't get to court, I am sure the company would settle.
    And you base that on what? Certainly not Wal-Mart's recent legal behavior—check out their sex discrimination lawsuit, which they are happily taking to the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Any workplace regulation that puts employees in danger (ie - preventing them from defending themselves) is a legal ass whipping waiting to happen.
    That's what you think.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We should write letters to Wal Mart about this. Demand the employees be reinstated and given special Wal Mart medals for valor in combat. :p

EDIT: By the way, people should simply not shop at Wal Mart.

EDIT 2: From the same article

Stories of similar firings exist, including one in Kansas last May. A Walmart worker in Wichita was fired when she followed a man outside the store and demanded proof that he had purchased a computer. The man, according to news reports, kicked and hit the woman before letting go of the computer and running away. She was not an asset protection associate or a manager, and a spokesperson at that time contended she violated company policy and put herself and others in danger.
    Man, Wal Mart is firing the very employees who are willing to risk life and limb to save the corporation a few hundred dollars.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 2/22/2011 11:06pm at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 11:21pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I worked for Target back in the day, they told us very blatantly to not try to stop a robber and to cooperate with their demands, and to do otherwise would probably cost us our jobs. They based this off of the many heroic attempts that failed horribly.
    I'm not saying I'm with Wally on this; but I'm pretty sure these guys knew the company wasn't behind their actions.
    Then again, maybe they were blinded by their own awesomeness.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is not the first case of an employee being fired for turning on an armed assailant. It's in the news every so often.

Gas station and convenience store attendants who have fought back against their attackers have lost their jobs because of company policies against fighting back. Some of those policies literally require the employee to sit tight, keep quiet, hand over the money, and say their prayers.

Note that those actions have absolutely no fucking correlation to whether or not they actually make it home alive. On the other hand, plenty of people fighting back against armed assailants have died, obviously...saving the merch is not worth it. Saving your own skin, on the other hand, is definitely worth a silly retail job.

If you sit tight, you might still die. If you fight back, you might still die. The corporate policies are in place to prevent employees from putting themselves in harm's way for merchandise...it's a liability thing. This is so they (e.g. Walmart) can't be sued for millions by the widows of dead employees who tried (and failed) to valiantly fight off thieves. The widows will claim "he died for Walmart, pay me!" and Walmart will use the policy in court to say "see, we told him not to".

But if it really ever came down to a survival situation like this for me personally....**** corporate policies. **** the merch too. You do what you have to, or you may not get a chance to kiss the wife and kids goodbye.

Better unemployed than dead.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/22/2011 11:30pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 11:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post

That's what you think.
    Good argument. I'm convinced.

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Good argument. I'm convinced.
    I don't need an argument. Your declaration was sufficiently ignorant that I know you don't know what you're talking about.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 12:27pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It makes sense from a policy standpoint that Wal Mart employees shouldn't endanger themselves while at work. This particular situation seems less black and white though. They were essentially attacked and defended themselves, as opposed to protecting product belonging to the store.

It reminds me of the no-fighting policy at many public schools - even if someone hits you, you don't hit back. **** that.

These folks are heroes in my eyes.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 1:24pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Good luck with that.

And you base that on what? Certainly not Wal-Mart's recent legal behavior—check out their sex discrimination lawsuit, which they are happily taking to the Supreme Court.

That's what you think.
    You seem to be very familiar with workplace/HR law, do you think that since the employees were defending their lives rather than asset protection that this would stand in the court of law as a wrongful termination suit? The handgun wasn’t an issue until he had forcibly grabbed a hostage in a contained room with the four employees doing their job perfectly in line with the company guidelines. They felt that their lives “were in danger” and had to defend themselves. I’m just don’t see this case having any similarities to the other cases where employees were assaulted when accosting suspected shoplifters in an open environment.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast