Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 6:06pm

Style: HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont want to piss anyone off, but I had a KelTec, it was a POS. I have a USP and XD, both are great weapons, and sold nearly eveywhere. Remeber a Handgun is something that is going to last if treated correctly. The barrels used in the newer XD are competition grade: 1in at 25yds. They are affordable, along with using high quality parts. Sig makes a model which can change calibers, allowing the shooter to pick what is best for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 8:59pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dont get me wrong; As duty firearms the USP and XD are great (though i find the USP overrated to the extreme) but for everyday concealed carry? you can do better than 2lbs of double stacked goodness hanging off your hip with 4 inches of gun and holster protruding. Hell if you hate Keltec but still need a low profile piece, Kahr Arms makes the PM9 series that is quite toteable. You'll just pay a ridiculous premium to own one.

I think it's sort of disingenous to think your CCW weapon needs to be some kind of ultra slick, accessoried up competition piece with AK like field reliability. By definition you arent shooting at anything over 15ft and a 2 in barrel at 15 YARDS will drive tacks. The ability to swap out barrels seems odd because most people who do that do it to .22 so as to have more affordable recreational shooting but since youre concerned with the pistol being a defensive arm the training and practice you would practically wish for would be with the ammunition you intend to everyday carry.

So i guess my next question is, what is going to be the overwhelming purpose of you handgun. 100% concealed carry or is this gonna be a gun you shoot recreationally that will ALSO serve you as a good carry weapon? the distinction between the two is pretty important.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I have had my CCW permit for a while but didn't actually carry concealed. Last weekend, I decided to try it on my way to an indoor range to zero a rifle, so that I would have at least a little bit of experience with carrying.

I don't have any "small" handguns. I strapped on a full size 1911, on a belt SERPA holster.

The only way I could get it to conceal and not imprint was by wearing a full size gore tex jacket and zipping it shut. :p Which of course I then had to wear indoors, zipped, the whole time I was zeroing my rifles. :p
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 1:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    DO NOT go any smaller than a compact gun (Glock 19/23). Don't be the guy with the Glock 26/27.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPvMJcmpVsQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIhmu9Fuk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk6zDGFqhgQ
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 2/24/2011 1:12am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 1:28pm

Style: HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The USP is a little overrated, I think it may have something to do with its constant use in hollywood and videogames along with being issued by many federal agencies. My wife carries a 32HR Mag SW, its pretty nice and the balance for this weapon is nice. If you have the money, by a Wilson, One day maybe I will own one.

Never fired a Kahr, but havent heard nothing bad either. Buddy of mine swears by his Glock, I feel they are OVERRATED, but thats just my opinion.

Colt .25 Auto is nice if youre looking for something easy to conceal. Not sure the price, I got mine as a hand me down.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a glock 26, it's kind of too wide for my liking. I carry it on a shoulder holster in the winter.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario915 View Post
    The USP is a little overrated, I think it may have something to do with its constant use in hollywood and videogames along with being issued by many federal agencies.
    There's probably a reason for this. The feds (police forces) don't get into the habit of buying crap. The HK line of pistols are well-made, function almost flawlessly, and are accurate as balls. It's only real weak points for me are some minor ergonomic issues and the fact that you can't totally strip the gun with ease (like a Glock). For normal CCW and law enforcement use, it's hard to beat.

My wife carries a 32HR Mag SW, its pretty nice and the balance for this weapon is nice. If you have the money, by a Wilson, One day maybe I will own one.
    While a .32ACP is better than nothing, you'd probably feel better if your wife was at least carrying something .35 caliber. .380 at the very smallest...9mm optimally. Handguns are historically piss-poor stoppers of human beings (especially determined/mentally ill/high-on-drugs ones. Although you can argue the merits or suckiness of the various Wilson platforms, one thing that they are not...are cheap. I certainly wouldn't recommend a single-action pistol for any end-user that doesn't exclusively train with it all the time.

Never fired a Kahr, but havent heard nothing bad either. Buddy of mine swears by his Glock, I feel they are OVERRATED, but thats just my opinion.

Colt .25 Auto is nice if youre looking for something easy to conceal. Not sure the price, I got mine as a hand me down.
    I agree. Glocks are a bit overrated, however...they do function nearly all the time in all sorts of inclement conditions as well as they can take a ****-ton of abuse. They are easy to work on, strip, and care for...the Kahrs' aren't bad...they just aren't as good as Glocks.

.25ACP? Eh...I wouldn't ever consider carrying something so small. While they are "attention getters", they lack the penetration and mass to seriously address threats on your life. Again....the smallest I would consider going would be a 9mm/.380. And .380 as only a backup to something larger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 11:19pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to qualify. I think the USP is overrated due to its price to performance ratio. For example, the standard price at my local gunshop for a USP fullsize in .40 is 840 bucks. Compared to 725 for a Sig p226 and 420 for a Glock 26.

All 3 have virtually identical accuracy. Neither gun is more 'inherently' accurate than the other. Its all operator on that side of the debate. All 3 are rugged. The Glock being THE most indestructible auto pistol ever. Period. The difference between the Sig and the USP is probably a toss up to randomness and individual guns. Ive owned a USP that did not like shooting wolf ammo. it would jam repeatedly. This is a fairly common complaint with the USP. never had a sig choke on wolf or fiocci ammo on me.

So for twice as much money as the leading competitor your getting a gun thats NOT as reliable, needs picky ammo, and is not any more accurate than anything else. What you ARE getting is a gun that has expensive parts, poor magazines (heaven forbid you drop a loaded $30 dollar USP mag on the ground. The floor plate will pop off and your rounds go everywhere) a non standard rail and a sloppy trigger. If im shelling out 800+ bucks for a gun, these are issues that simply CANNOT exist.

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 12:03am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LS, have you warmed up to anything other than Glock, SIG, and HK yet? I've noticed that you almost exclusively recommend the three. Love Glocks and SIGs myself, like the HK P30 but not a lot else from HK, just wondering if anything else has caught your eye lately.

I've had a CZ-75 P-01 for the last few month's and it's been accurate as balls and 100% reliable. NATO approved, too, FWIW. It reminds me of the P228 I should never have sold, but has better ergonomics (the stock sights suck though).

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Slightly used Glock 19, USP 9mm, SIG 239, or 228. I wouldn't mess with a Taurus with that much money to spend...that's TOO MUCH to spend on any Taurus. If you're on a continual budget, stick with a caliber than you can easily afford ammunition for---to shoot and train with.

DO NOT go any smaller than a compact gun (Glock 19/23). Don't be the guy with the Glock 26/27.
    THIS!

I highly recommend a Glock 19.(I still like the 3rd gen over the 4th) There is no way you can regret that purchase especially as a gun noob.

I will slightly disagree with LordSkeletor (praise be upon him) with the USP 9. I LOVE USPs but they should all be 45s.(Yes I know the 9 came before the 45 shaddup yo face!)

SIGs are good guns as well but I think you can't go wrong with a Glock as a first gun.

Another to consider is the Ruger SR9. So far its giving Glocks a run for their money but I still suggest the Glock first.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast