Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 5:59am

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question would be if you are trained in Medieval-style daggers (bollock knives, rondel daggers, etc.), why not buy one of them? If you're not worried about carrying one for work or defense, but just want a knife, why not buy what you're trained up in?

I will say that Atlanta Cutlery, and their subsidiary Museum Replicas Limited, have never let me down for quality. I own a number of swords and a lovely bowie knife from them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 8:41am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    Cold Steel is actually the one brand I seem to see a lot of when looking for fixed blades. I think the handling characteristics of their swords have turned me off to the brand somewhat. Are their knives of better quality or the same basic clunky but usually sturdy kind of budget design?
    The Cold Steel knives are much better designed for use than their swords. I don't hate their swords, I just... OK, well, I guess I kinda do. Not that the quality is bad, it isn't bad at all. It's just they tend to make them twice as heavy as they should be and always manage to bork the balance.

But their knives, on the other hand, usually handle quite well. I like their Bowies and their X2 Voyager series (Navaja-inspired, sorta a little like a folding bowie).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG-ape View Post
    Most of my training has been with rondel daggers & that informs my tastes.

What I’d like is a 7 to 10 inch blade with a good point for thrusting & a sufficiently pronounced guard to make heavy thrusts safe from slipping down onto the blade. Ideally double edged with a grip that is comfortable to hold either with the blade oriented toward the thumb or in an ice pick grip. I’m less concerned with period look than similarity of function, although, aesthetically I prefer a symmetrical blade to one with a distinct false edge…but that’s not a deal breaker one way or another.
    It seems that your tastes are for double edged with a nice point and a functional guard.

For "modern" knives, look into any of the Fairbairn-Sykes class/form-factor of fighting knives - WWII British special combat knives. A bit earlier than that would be what is often called an "Arkansas Toothpick."

As for carrying, I don't think you'll be carrying these at all. Double edged knives are illegal to carry in most locations. But check your local laws.

In the Cold Steel line, you have the Peace Keeper and the Counter-Tac knives.

Here's an Arkansas Toothpick by Atlanta Cutlery. The steel is good but sometimes the fit & finish could use a bit of work. I consider Atlanta Cutlery (Windlass) knives to be decent beaters or carry knives that will work and not come apart but won't break the bank. Not presentation pieces or heirlooms by any stretch.

Though I am a HUGE Bowie knife fan, I don't think Bowie sounds like what you're really after. I know some guys who apply their Messer skills to Bowie but it takes some interpretive work.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Last edited by lklawson; 2/22/2011 8:55am at . Reason: linky-linky

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 9:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems you are almost describing a pig sticker. I did a thread on the dick brand one and it was quite good. (A bit ugly though)
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101441

I will see if I can find you a pretty one.

Due to australian laws they do single edged ones as well.
    Sorry not the F dick but other brands.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 2/22/2011 9:28am at .

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 9:45am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you like rondel daggers ...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...artNum=AAJ-223

I'd poke around that site a bit - if you want a nice older look.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 11:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a total knife whore and I love expensive knives. Midievel style knives aren't my thing, but I hear what you're saying.

On the other hand, you seem to have some flexibility when it comes to the type of fixed blade you're looking for. So I would feel like a total douche if I didn't recommend the good ole' Ka-bar. It's a no brainer if you don't already own one. I mean, come one. It's sixty freakin' bucks, battle tested and it'll survive a nuclear holocaust.

Hell, even if you choose another fixed blade in your price range, you should still buy a Ka-bar. A lot of bang for the buck. Everyone should own one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 6:32pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is one of the Applegate Fairbairn knives I was talking about. I like these better than the Sykes daggers because they tend to have stronger tips and more cutting power along with the thrusting. This one is by Boker - they also have some "Premium" versions if you want to get fancy.
    http://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-k...fe/120542.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by senseipookie View Post
    Here is one of the Applegate Fairbairn knives I was talking about. I like these better than the Sykes daggers because they tend to have stronger tips and more cutting power along with the thrusting. This one is by Boker - they also have some "Premium" versions if you want to get fancy.
    http://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-k...fe/120542.html
    I'm sorry, but for $175 USD, I expect more than a bead blasted 440C stainless blade with a plastic handle.

And you say they've got a more expensive version?!?!

Maybe I'm just feeling grumpy today but it really seems like you're paying more for name than for function with this knife.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 10:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I'm a total knife whore and I love expensive knives. Midievel style knives aren't my thing, but I hear what you're saying.

On the other hand, you seem to have some flexibility when it comes to the type of fixed blade you're looking for. So I would feel like a total douche if I didn't recommend the good ole' Ka-bar. It's a no brainer if you don't already own one. I mean, come one. It's sixty freakin' bucks, battle tested and it'll survive a nuclear holocaust.

Hell, even if you choose another fixed blade in your price range, you should still buy a Ka-bar. A lot of bang for the buck. Everyone should own one.
    And you can get them a bit pretty these days if you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 1:17pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ended up going with a Cold Steel Peace Keeper I. It just arrived & I spent the last 10 minutes stabbing the hell out of the box it was shipped in.

So far I’m pretty happy with it. It’s a good thruster with a solid grip that can handle like a rondel, but has the added versatility of being able to slice. Of course, it’s shorter than a rondel would be, but still of a decent length. Not the perfect knife to my mind, but a very good place to start.

Thanks for the advice everybody.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast