Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2011 6:45pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha! that's the one I have from about 10 years ago and I thought it seemed like BS, which is why I started this thread...

It's such BS that I knew it was BS and I don't speak any more Japanese than is necessary to practice Judo under my sensei.

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 1:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    It's not a translation, it's Kaufman's "interpretation". And seeing as he can't even translate the name of his own BS dojo correctly...

I'm sure he's been thoroughly stomped on here, and if you do a search for him on e-budo you will find plenty of reasons to avoid anything the man is involved with like the plague. He was actually one of e-budo's first highlight guests, but after we took him to task for, well, everything, he left in a huff.

Hmm, Ta for this. I'll have to dig it out and check. The only thing I am clear on is that the copy I've got had the bloke down as a 10th Dan. At that time, my thinking was..."Only in America..." no disrespected intended - and he had a pony-tail. Uh-oh.

Hmm, yeah, I'm going to have to check.

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Isn't that the Snake Dojo guy?
    IIRC, he was the one who named his dojo dojo no hebi, which supposedly means "the dojo of the snake"; according to speakers of Japanese, however, the word order actually has the meaning of "the snake of the dojo."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 1:39pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Heiho

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I enjoyed the translation in "Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings" by Kenji Tokitsu. It includes a very large section on research into Musashi's life, which was facinating, and helped provide some context which seperates the man from the legend.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IYRDC View Post
    Personally, I enjoyed the translation in "Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings" by Kenji Tokitsu. It includes a very large section on research into Musashi's life, which was facinating, and helped provide some context which seperates the man from the legend.
    i've been reading this as well, and find it to be quite good. my wife wants to read the original text, as she is able to read classical japanese of that time, and after she is done, i was hoping to have her read tokitsu's work and tell me what she thinks.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12