Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 3:26am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Open Style Tournament By Ving Tsun School

Hello,

haven't been posting for a long time, I know, but wanted to share this with you guys. Footage of a tournament organized by a Chun school, that is open style:

Now, whatever you think of the individual fights, I think this is a great example of someone removing "th3 d3Dly" and all the other BS from Wing Chun and focussing on what counts.

Here's a Video of how those guys train:

I did go visiting them on two occasions around christmas last year, as it was very close to where my family lives. They were very nice and welcoming, and it was very good fun.
    Every session was pretty much like the Video:
    Warm up, Punching bag, Drills, Chi Sao, Pad Work and Sparring in the end.

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 6:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks fun, is this open to other clubs or just an internal competition with "open" rules?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 8:57am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I gather there were different clubs present, but I think it was an invitation type thing where they asked clubs from the area to compete.
    But yeah, in the vids you can kindo make out different stylers, I spotted a boxer (who won), a Muay Thai type guy and even a Leung Ting Wing Tsun guy (with the star trek uniform).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 12:55pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks a lot better than the Chun I've seen elsewhere.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good training regiment, and with time I imagine they will do away with the excess, or simply preface all the excess they teach with "but this isn't really high percentage."

I think it's worth noting that in all this video of WC sparring, I didn't really see one recognizable "trap". In fact, any time someone seemed to enter the fabled trapping range, they backed out to reset, closed in to throw, or took a half a step back and put some power on their punches.

Also, not a lot of head movement, and for that, I say "meh."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 1:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is not boxing. Half the problem with many of you, that pop in and out of the cma forum is you critique any style against boxing. Before you get upset yes, head movement IMO is important. Muay Thai had, and in some cases still has, the same problem until they incorporated boxing into their style. This is actually one of the fabled 2% of schools we hear about but never see.
    Good for incorporation yes, it can still show some improvement. If head movement and your misunderstanding about trapping is their biggest flaw I say not bad.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps I should have reversed the order of my comments, because the emphasis should have really been on the "Yay, sparring!" bit. No intention to devolve this into a "that's just bad boxing" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 1:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure what to make of it really, I did Wing Chun for a while and sparred in class probably 4 times in 2 years, so they are ahead of the game compared to 99% of other chun schools on the planet and it looks like a fun place to train, but there is something about those videos that bothers me but I am not sure what it is exactly.

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 12:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a fan of the walking straight punches to the face... I am not particularly impressed. Not saying I could beat any of these guys, but technique is one of the things i look for, and it also happens to be the least used thing out there these days. However at about a minute in on the first video: there is a round house back spin set up to the head that is kind of cool.. but then he backs off right when he should be pummeling... but idk, i wasn't there... I sound negative, but it is just because i am jealous i was invited to this tournament.... waaaah

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 12:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Technique is one of the least thing used out there these days?

Don't troll this forum okay?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast