Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 1:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkellener View Post
    1. work to constantly develop punching power or kicking power so that even in defense your opponent hesitates to even take a blow.

2. Combos, combos combos. Defensive guys tend to jam-up and wait for counter opportunities. However, if you work angles and combos, you force them defend in positions which you must learn, so that you can also learn what areas are left unprotected.
    This is a good tip. As for 1, I think it goes to show that good offense is often your best defense, which is what I was going to write originally.

If you're a boxer, play his freaking mind game against him and go all-in on counters for a while. Chances are he won't be used to it, and you'll get a few good chances to gain respect. Then after he goes from tactical defense to "scared" defense you can work all kinds of tricks, and basically start applying your own game plan.

Posted On:
    7/12/2013 7:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also if you are in range you should be striking.

Also if you are in range you should be striking.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 5:54pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to put your definition of 'defensive' into perspective..

This kid recently won a Florida title from my gym and is all-around experienced. It isn't his first belt, though his first in the US. Red shorts.

That is a 'defensive' fighter. Note how aggressive he is still. (To a newbie, that will stand out the most) Keep watching though, he usually spends a good part of the first round getting a feel for range distance and timing.

Don't bound yourself to a style just yet. What you want to get at is to be equally offensive and defensive, but right now just focus on the basics.

Eventually, your problem will be not knowing enough defense, which is harder to learn. (NOTE that knowing defensive is not the same as being defensive.)
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2013 9:59am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkellener View Post
    1. work to constantly develop punching power or kicking power so that even in defense your opponent hesitates to even take a blow.

2. Combos, combos combos. Defensive guys tend to jam-up and wait for counter opportunities. However, if you work angles and combos, you force them defend in positions which you must learn, so that you can also learn what areas are left unprotected.
    In general, for a newb, power is the most important commodity to have.

As for your second point, I must disagree. While firing combos will overwhelm a reticent newb, it will play into the hands of a more skilled and patient counter fighter. I look to frustrate my opponents into overextending themselves - fire too many combos too fast - and your hands are no longer near your chin.

When I was in TMA, I was pushed not to be a counter fighter, but in boxing I've found that it really has been effective - and makes my offense so much more so. The more my opponent thinks about my defense - the less they think about their own.

Posted On:
    11/29/2014 7:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gleason's Gm MT Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    I am a defensive person as well, my sensei has picked on me for not being aggressive enough, which contributes to me being more of a defensive fighter.

How do you fight someone that is also defensive?

Be more aggressive? Learn better set ups?
    Focused sparring. You should enter a sparring session with the goal of practicing 2 or 3 attacking combinations. Combinations can not be done very well in counters. Counter fighters tend to hit once or twice but very flush. Focusing on your combinations teaches you how to attack, which is the real problem. You can't gauge your distance fast enough to attack, so you wait for an attack to get a solid feel for timing. Developing your sense of distance and entering range will free you up to attack more. Another problem with counter fighters is they are afraid to get hit, they are afraid of getting countered. They can't "See" very well so they hesitate. So practicing over and over again in sparring your entries to combinations will build that "sight". Good luck.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234