Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 6:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Losing weight but not losing inches?

I've been overweight for most of my life and have finally decided to take charge and commit to changing my lifestyle. A few weeks ago, I started watching my food intake, drinking only water (in lieu of pop and juice; I still have to have my milk, though) and doing more physical activity. According to the scale, I have already lost quite a bit of weight. The trouble is that I don't feel like I'm getting any thinner.

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 9:49am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's likely a psychological issue. You see yourself as a fat man so even with improvement you still see yourself as a fat man, if that makes sense. Another thing to take into account is that all the changes are gradual to you. You have time to change your self-image while a bunch of minor changes take place instead of the person who hasn't seen you in four months coming up and going, "Holy crap, you're getting skinny!" Wait for that, it'll feel great. Plus, unless someone's pranking you, the scale doesn't lie.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you taken measurements? That is usually the best judge. Measure multiple body parts (biceps, neck, gut, calves, quads, chest) and do it once a month.

I'm guessing that "physical activity" means actually working out rather than just going for a walk...hopefully.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 10:47am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Photographs don't lie. Everyone has to some extent a kind of image-autocorrect in their brain regarding their body. Take pictures weekly/monthly, and take the measurements mentioned above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 1:47pm

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    be patient, losing weight and inches can take forever if you already have a preconceived image of what should be happening by now. I've been battling the bulge since I lost my thyroid 3 years ago, it isnt easy, but anything you are doing now will help. It can be as simple as a shirt sleeve not fitting as tight as it had the week before to noticing when you bend over the plumber stays away so to speak.

Keep making strides, it will happen! As was mentioned before, that one comment from someone who hasnt seen you in a few weeks can go a long way. Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 11:21pm

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I felt exactly same way 2 months ago, and currently I am down to 192 from 220 lb. I lost 20 lb the first months but I still felt like a fat ass, and my pants still felt pretty tight around my waist. But as more time went by, I could feel my stamina improving, pants size dropping, and people started to tell me 'you lost so much weight!'. I agree with wetware that you are likely having a psychological issue. If you keep up the good work, you'll see the results for yourself, and if you don't, other people will and tell you.

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 11:36pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kinda going through the same thing. I have started really watching what I eat, as in I can't remember what Maccas tastes like and I don't drink alcohol, which can account for a significant portion of (empty) calorie intake depending on your habits. Further to that I am back intermittently at the gym, but most significantly, I believe, is my daily walk to and from work, equalling approximately 4.5km. It is amazing how much incidental exercise helps in losing weight.

On the other hand, in order to lose inches (not just weight), walking AND the gym is required. No ****, last week I hit the gym and, combined with the walking, found my belt with no more holes and this big piece of leather protruding out my side. That fucking thing has been straining at the other end for years, even when I was hitting the gym last year (while still drinking). A combination of less flab and tighter muscles, I imagine.