--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2011: I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four
    USA, 2011
    Genre: Action, Science Fiction
    110 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1464540/

A teen with strange powers hides out in a small Ohio town, where he begins to unravel his mysterious past.

Based on the novel of the same name, I Am Number Four is a pretty typical piece of young adult science fiction brought to the big screen like other cash-in projects before it. As a film itís well made enough, I suppose, but everything about its production is so unremarkable that I doubt it will be any kind of blockbuster. The look works fairly well most of the time, but there were definitely some poor choices by the cinematographer, especially in regards to the handheld camera scenes. The special effects were decent by themselves, but the art direction was so uninspired and genre typical that it takes away any punch that the flashiness may have had.

The actors do what they can with the material given them, but not all the blame can be placed on the clichťd dialogue or contrived plot devices. Even though the script was about as bland as they come, the performances were equally as superficial and boring to boot. Alex Pettyfer and Timothy Olyphant have pretty good chemistry as a father-son duo, but their scenes with just about everyone else in the cast is so woefully vanilla that itís like watching reruns of any Disney channel original movie with a sci-fi twist. The premise of the film is interesting enough, but everything about the execution is just so plainly teen drama that it removes any possibility of a substantive narrative.

As I mentioned before, the effects themselves are pretty enough, and the same could be said for the action sequences peppered throughout the story. There isnít really enough action to keep your attention anyway, but they do put at least some effort into the scenes at the climax of the movie. The hand-to-hand fights are actually pretty neat, but generall arenít shot very well and thereby lose a lot of the energy. As video games strive to be more like films, we can see the parallel as films try to look more like video games, to the mediumís detriment.

Honestly, itís pretty apparent that I, and probably not anyone reading this review either, am definitely not the target audience for this series and its likely sequels. Still, that doesnít change the fact that this movie is insipid and completely unimaginative, meant to be a bridge in the gap between teenage girls looking for a sweet and funny romance and teenage boys looking for a flashy action adventure movie. For anyone above the age of sixteen, I canít imagine I Am Number Four being worth the price of admission.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...m-number-four/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 10:54am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a load of kids from the residential place I per diem to go see this last night. It was pretty awful, and even the 14-16 y/o thought that the acting was bad and the plot was predictable. It was yet another Micheal Bayesque CGI shitjob(I think he was one of the producers). Its too bad, cause DJ Caruso is a decent director, I enjoyed Disturbia for what it was, and he did The Shield for a little while too.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here's the list of words i wrote down after watching this movie, and i still needed more when i actually started writing the review:

Spoiler:

BLAND
    CLICHE
    CONTRIVED
    BORING
    VANILLA
    PLAIN
    TYPICAL
    UNINSPIRED
    UNIMAGINATIVE
    INSUBSTANTIAL
    SUPERFICIAL
    LACKING VISION
    FUCKING BORING
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 2:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, That's why I saw Unknown instead. Saw Rango a week ago and that was better than I thought. I'll be seeing this sometime in the next week.

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 3:23pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has it always been like this and I just didn't notice, or is there a lot more media coming out targeting dumb teenagers? And I'm not saying that all teenagers are dumb, just that movies, like this, target the dumb ones and there seems to be a lot more of this crap coming out lately.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 3:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, there is an entire sub-genre now thanks to Twilight. Each generation has their teenage aimed movies based on angst ridden coming of age stories. Now, it is all about supernatural/powers and coming of age.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unknown was the plan, but it wasn't playing in the town i was staying in, for some reason. also, it seems more like a thriller than action? i'm still a little unsure about its genre conventions.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Has it always been like this and I just didn't notice, or is there a lot more media coming out targeting dumb teenagers? And I'm not saying that all teenagers are dumb, just that movies, like this, target the dumb ones and there seems to be a lot more of this crap coming out lately.
    Nah, media has been targeting dumb teens for quite some time. What I see is the deterioration in quality. In the past it was between the campy and the cheesy. Now, it is between a) dumb **** on the big screen where werewolves and vampires are homo-like pansies that make teen girls giggle and b) dumb **** in 3D with breakdancing or **** that's flashy and go kaput every once in a while.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 1:35am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh hey, look.

Another movie poster with teal and orange.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 5:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boy and I were going to see a movie on Saturday since the missus had to work and I gave him the choice. He chose "The Eagle" instead of this.....and it sounds like he chose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, there is an entire sub-genre now thanks to Twilight. Each generation has their teenage aimed movies based on angst ridden coming of age stories. Now, it is all about supernatural/powers and coming of age.
    Lest we forget the WB/UPN movie era from the late '90s