Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 3:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

meal replacement shakes

hey whats up im new here i stumbled across this website while googling. so i just had a few questions i just recently been diagnosed with diabetes not sure which i take insulin though im about 5'7 260 i just wanted to no whats the best combination for me as far as meal replacement and protein shakes i just got more serious about this i noticed i lost a ton of weight but im gaining some back i dont really work out but i started to so im just looking for the best advice im looking to buy a shake please hit me with your best ideas thanks

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 12:25am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'7" 260 good lord! After loosing a ton of weight? Meal replacement is the least of your worries. Seriously, I'm not a weight loss expert which is likely what you need, expecially with diabetes. Any shake or anything you start taking ask your doctor about, please. When I was trying to gain weight I used the Walmart brand equate shakes, they're loaded with calories and worked for me. At the time I couldn't eat enough calories a day, of course I was eating clean so no Mcdonald's or fried food. SHakes= weight gain not loss.

It may be best for you to eat several small meals and snacks a day, ask a doctor. One of the biggest things about eating healthy is planning every meal,evvery meal no slacking. You can't suddenly find yourself hungary with no food, because for the most part the only food you can get quicly is not going to be healthy. Trying to replace a whole meal with a shake dosen't work for me or any of te fatties i've known, I'm still hungary 30 mins or so later. I know overweight people who would eat lunch with a slim fast and expect to loose weight. Slim fast is supposed to be lunch that's it!

You need to plan your three big meals a day not replace them with a shake to loose weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 6:11pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest eating healthy (real food) instead of trying to use shakes for weight-loss. If you are bound and determined to use shakes, though, I suggest Slim-Fast's carb-controlled shakes (on account of the fact that they have no sugar.) Add a dash of instant coffee to the chocolate and you've got a pretty decent tasting shake.

Whatever you end up doing, count your calories. A shake doesn't help anything if you are eating bigger meals to make up for it. And you don't need protein shakes, what you need is a good old fashion calorie-deficit through dieting, preferably with exercise. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 10:43pm

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can eat quick, healthy, and cheap. I try to get 7 meals a day, which sometimes includes shakes.. an example would be a can of black beans with some fresh cut salsa stirred in. Quick easy, cheap, and good for you.

You need to keep track of your calories, and their source. Stay away from simple carbohydrates. Fiber is your friend; it makes you feel more full with less food. Limit your animal fats, severely (fat free milk, limit meat to chicken and fish, egg whites instead of eggs, etc.). Try to get more of your proteins and amino acids from things like black beans, kidney beans, ground flax (also a source of Omega acids), and rolled oats. Fresh fruits and veggies with meals (even the cheap freezer bag veggies will work, tho). Eating small meals regularly is easier to track calories and healthier than just a few large meals a day.

Run my advice by your doctor, as I have no personal experience with diabetes.
    Last edited by Ketsueki; 2/21/2011 10:45pm at . Reason: noticed an extra letter.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, diabetes is such a serious issue that you should be talking to a doctor about a change in diet no matter what.

Everyone here wants to see you get healthy and in shape but none of us are doctors.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 5:31am

Style: Judo, BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel really sorry for you, it's a life long illness and any hiccups in your medication, one little piece of torn skin on your foot can result in amputation (it has happen with a few patients I cared for).

Meal replacements (or just processed food in general) are very bad for diabetics as they contain heaps of sugar raising overall BGL. You want a low carb - Low saturated fat - high fibre diet (eg. like the Paleo diet), were most of your carbs from veggies. However, I would really recommend seeing a Dietican or a GP, as they have trained professionals that will specifically design a diet chart just for you and your diabetes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2011 11:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some good advice here. Definitely get your doctor's opinion on a healthier lifestyle, with diet and exercise. You might want to join a wellness center, which is like a gym that has medical personnel who monitor your progress. They are a bit more expensive than regular gyms, though.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been a competitive bodybuilder most of my adult life and the best thing I can tell you is that if your going to do any form of a shake it does not need to be comprised completely from something you can get in a can or a powder. You need to mix it yourself which will give you the control of the sugar content. I.E. my shakes were 24 oz liquid egg whites, 3/4 cup of raw oatmeal, a scoop of isopure protien and throw it a mixer with a cube or two of ice.... I did this four times a day until I was within a certain window of fat percentage... I also ate 4 whole meals a day with a meat, green veg, and plain baked sweet potato. I understand most people do not have the need for that much protein so experiment with the amounts just keep the sugar from the protein mix to a minimum. It sounds like it would taste awful but if you use a chocolate flavored mix it is like a liquid chocolate no bake cookie. With any increased protein diet you must increase your water intake dramatically. Plain water with nothing in it, just water. NOT FLAVORED, NO SWEETENERS, NO SPLENDA.

Also be sure to find a multi-vitamin...
    Last edited by rustyflexx; 3/14/2011 10:30am at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyflexx View Post
    . With any increased protein diet you must increase your water intake dramatically. Plain water with nothing in it, just water. NOT FLAVORED, NO SWEETENERS, NO SPLENDA.

Also be sure to find a multi-vitamin...
    Please elaborate

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 10:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Please elaborate
    most people you tell them to increase their water intake and they go get flavored water or just drink more of whatever it is they drink regularly. When you increase your protein intake your putting your whole system in overdrive. Your kidneys are working harder, your liver is working harder, alternative sweeteners do not effect your insulin but they still bog down your digestive track because they have to be filtered out and serve no benefit for your diet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast