Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/19/2011 2:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually sir you are correct in saying I did not create those other pages. However, I do have access and over see them. The wording errors are my mistakes because I don't catch every little detail when editing the sites info. The tournament info was removed just because I felt that if people were honestly interested they could come see the medal for themselves, it is hanging up in our gym. I've made attempts to clear up any confusion or contradicting information, again feel free to contact me on our Facebook page. www.Facebook.com/FierceMartialArtsAcademy

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 11:58am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sent a follow-up message to Fierce Martial Arts (Ashley) via Facebook asking about the grappling tournaments. I'm hoping that we can keep the lines of communication open.

Also, a few weeks ago I found and wrote Phil Jones Jr. I'm still waiting for a reply, but it seems he has moved on from the martial arts. From the research I did on him, it doesn't appear that he has done any formal training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and therefore he doesn't have the ability to grant rank in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, much less a Black Belt.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    9/25/2011 7:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard back from Fierce Martial Arts. I replied back to them to see if it was OK if I posted their message verbatim, but haven't heard back.

Here is the basic content of their message:

- The "2011 Grappling Championship Gold Medalist" line references tournament put on on by "The Alliance" (previously referenced and linked in this thread). I assume the title is from one of the tournaments listed in this schedule: http://www.usnmat.net/alliance%20events.htm

- The "2008 NAGA Midwest Championship Medalist" line is listed on nationallyranked.com, though Stuart Hamby's name is not searchable (nationallyranked.com bug? I have found a better way of searching those results now). His name is listed in the 2008 Midwest Grappling Championship results page (Teens Middleweight Expert NO-GI Adv). I'm unsure if this is the same "Stuart Hamby" though. Since Mr Hamby was born April 5th, 1990 according to his Facebook page, he would have been 18 years old on November 15th, 2008 (when that tournament was held). The NAGA teen division is up to and including 17 years old. Mr Hamby would have had to compete as an adult at that event. NAGA organizers would not have allowed an age waiver. It'd be great to get a photo of Mr Hamby's medal, his "medalists photo" (him with 1st and 2nd place finishers), and/or paperwork just to try to confirm it 100%.

- Ashley said that Mr Hamby trained under a person who he thought was a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt but later found out he wasn't (Side Note: I have not heard back from Phil Jones Jr). She said that his students do not think he is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, they know they are not ranked in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and that Mr Hamby does not put himself out there as one. She also mentions that Mr Hamby is sorry for the confusion around this issue. He still trains in BJJ and teaches what BJJ he knows to his students.

- Ashley says that they will be updating/removing/cleaning up several of their web sites (MySpace, Facebook pages in particular) to address the issues brought up in this thread.

I will post the message word-for-word as soon as Ashley gives me permission. I hate paraphrasing and summarizing because I don't like pretending to know exactly what they are trying to say.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It said that Hamby would have been to old to compete in that tournament right? What if he was the only one in his division? Would he be able to go down to the lower division?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 11:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitItOut View Post
    It said that Hamby would have been to old to compete in that tournament right? What if he was the only one in his division? Would he be able to go down to the lower division?
    An adult cannot compete with a teen, that supersedes and answer all three of your questions with a no.

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 8:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about Hamby, but I do know Dr. Jim Thomas. I was a student a his dojo back in the 90s in Auburn, WA. I was there for 3 years until he up and split without notice. He was doing toughman contests every couple months. The last contest did not take place because he left town. But he still sold over 500 tickets at $10-$15 each. The last month or so he was there he claimed he had cancer and was to sick to teach class, so he had a black belt teach. He was still collecting dues up to the day he left. He also left his wife and 1yr old child. Hopefully she has tracked him down and collect some back child support. This guy was a smooth talker and could get you to believe anything. Over half his claims are also false. He told us he fought on the US Karate team with Billy Blanks and Tokey Hill and also won. I never could find any evidence that he won though. Also was told he did bodyguard service for high profile people and was suppose to get us in on it. Never have seen and movies he supposedly was in either. Dr. Jim Thomas was a good martial artist, but he is an excellent con artist. Hold your wallet if you meet him.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    6/12/2012 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hogpaynter View Post
    I don't know anything about Hamby, but I do know Dr. Jim Thomas.
    Is there another thread dedicated to Dr. Jim Thomas, or is he part of this investigation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2012 2:01am

Style: GJJ, MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    I heard back from Fierce Martial Arts. I replied back to them to see if it was OK if I posted their message verbatim, but haven't heard back.

Here is the basic content of their message:

- The "2008 NAGA Midwest Championship Medalist" line is listed on nationallyranked.com, though Stuart Hamby's name is not searchable (nationallyranked.com bug? I have found a better way of searching those results now). His name is listed in the 2008 Midwest Grappling Championship results page (Teens Middleweight Expert NO-GI Adv). I'm unsure if this is the same "Stuart Hamby" though. Since Mr Hamby was born April 5th, 1990 according to his Facebook page, he would have been 18 years old on November 15th, 2008 (when that tournament was held). The NAGA teen division is up to and including 17 years old. Mr Hamby would have had to compete as an adult at that event. NAGA organizers would not have allowed an age waiver. It'd be great to get a photo of Mr Hamby's medal, his "medalists photo" (him with 1st and 2nd place finishers), and/or paperwork just to try to confirm it 100%.

I did notice in an earlier screen you posted ( http://i.imgur.com/s1Tq9.png ) that his date of birth is listed as Apirl 5th, 1991 in the "Basic Info" section on the right. Which would mean he has not been stating his correct birth year on either FaceBook, MySpace, or there. If his birth date is correct on the "BJJ Coach" website, that'd mean he was 17 at the time of the tournament...food for thought there.

Of course then there is the problem with the false portion of his video compilation where "he" broke someone's arm.
    I also wonder about how Ashley said he still learns BJJ and teaches what he knows. Does this mean he watches Lloyd Irvin DVDs and then tries to translate over the techniques in person to his students?

Basically I just wanted to point out his listed birthday on BJJ Coach, perhaps shedding a little light onto the "teen competition" situation.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345