Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Belt levels

Define the belt levels in BJJ, what criteria are required, what factors should be considered? (Discuss whether or not it's subjective based on the person being considered)

I want Bullshido's consensus, feel free to use other people's explanations (Helio, Saulo, Roy Harris, Matt Thornton, etc).

(I know this isn't a technique so I asked ahead, but keep it within the feel of the Basic Tech forum)

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll bite. From the official Gracie Combatives Blue Belt Qualification Handbook.

Blue Belt: Grand Master Helio Gracie, "...a blue belt should be awarded to anybody who can effectively defend themselves in a real street fight"

Requires mastery of all variations of the 36 most important Gracie Jiu-Jitsu techniques techniques in every conceivable combination.

Estimated training time: 8-12 months in person or via on-line/DVD training.

• Purple Belt Qualification Techniques – Must be mastered before one is considered for promotion to purple belt. Besides the Gracie Combatives techniques, these are the simplest techniques and/or most likely to be used in a street fight.

Estimated Training time: 1-2 years after blue belt (Once around the Graice Master Cycle)

• Brown Belt Qualification Techniques – Must be mastered before one is considered for promotion to brown belt. These techniques are more complex than the purple belt techniques and/or designed for less likely street fight situations that might occur against a knowledgeable grappler.

• Black Belt Qualification Techniques – Must be mastered before one is considered for promotion to black belt. These are the most complex techniques and/or designed for the rarest street fight situations that would only occur against a highly skilled grappler.

A Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy black belt is much more than a master of technique – he is an ambassador for the art and a member of our extended “family.” A black belt must understand the Gracie lifestyle to include our philosophies, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu history, and our unique diet. As representatives of the Academy and our family, we expect black belts to personify discipline, integrity, and honor.

In order to evaluate the many requirements for black belt beyond technical mastery, candidates will participate in a five-day Black Belt Qualification Test at the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy headquarters in Torrance, California. We will evaluate your knowledge of technique, history, philosophy, and diet as we get to know you in person.

Posted On:
    2/19/2011 2:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright should the techniques required to defeat a skilled grappler include both gi and nogi techniques? Would the purple, brown, black belt be required to know how to use/counter 50/50, De La Riva, X-guard, Rubber Guard, Sao Paulo methods of passing, heel hooks, toe holds, complex lapel chokes, etc? All techniques skilled grapplers use.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 10:49pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First let me say that if you want to be a well rounded grappler, you must train both gi and no gi. Emphasis should be on the gi during the first few years of training. I say this because so many pure no-gi grapplers I encounter are lacking in their fundamentals.

In my opinion, a blue belt in BJJ should have a solid grasp of the following; a minimum of three sweeps from guard, two half guard sweeps, three reversals from under side control, three escapes from side control, two escapes and two reversals from under turtle, two mount escapes, two subs while in any major dominant position in grappling plus two subs from guard, knowledge of three collar chokes and two non-collar chokes.

They should have an area of strength like top game or guard. They should also be aware of their major weakness and be committed to improving it.

For purple belts, just increase all the numberof moves known by two. Additionally, purples should have no major holes in their game, but be well rounded with specific aspects of their game that are fairly advanced. Mostly though, they should be competent enough on the mat to deal with anyone unskilled who is not a NFL lineman sized/strong person in a grappling only situation.

Brown belts should be even more refined. A solid brown will be capable of pulling off deliberate misdirection to deceive their opponent into moving exactly where the brown wants them to be. Their positional awareness should make them mostly immune to being tricked or dominated by the lower belts. I've always liked the explanation that browns, even more than purples, have all the tools that the black belt has. They just lack the seasoning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2011 1:00am

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a blue belt under Matt Thornton, so it's not surprising that I favor his definition of the ranks.

The first & simplest point is that to be of a given rank you need to be able to roll competitively with others of that rank, or have been able at the time your rank was attained (people do slow down with age after all).

The second part of the definition of ranks has to do with the individual’s level of understanding. A blue belt should know all the basic positions & postures & the major routes between positions. A purple belt should actually be good at those things, but also should be looking at the art less in terms of individual techniques & more in terms of broader strategic principles. A brown belt should be someone who has discovered the strategic style that works best for them. A black belt is someone who has refined & pressure tested their personal style & also understands where their style fits within the framework of what is universal in Jiu-jitsu.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:47pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    First let me say that if you want to be a well rounded grappler, you must train both gi and no gi. Emphasis should be on the gi during the first few years of training. I say this because so many pure no-gi grapplers I encounter are lacking in their fundamentals.

In my opinion, a blue belt in BJJ should have a solid grasp of the following; a minimum of three sweeps from guard, two half guard sweeps, three reversals from under side control, three escapes from side control, two escapes and two reversals from under turtle, two mount escapes, two subs while in any major dominant position in grappling plus two subs from guard, knowledge of three collar chokes and two non-collar chokes.

They should have an area of strength like top game or guard. They should also be aware of their major weakness and be committed to improving it.
    How do you define "a solid grasp" of these techniques? Demonstration? Explanation? Performance under pressure?

Would you explain why the 2's and 3's per category? I mean why 3 sweeps from guard and only 2 from half guard?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 3:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally it's an intangible thing by nature.

However I would say solid grasp implies you're able to pull off those techniques against people of those same belt level with comparative athleticism and size.

I would say that that you should be held to an individual and community wide standard. What I mean is that individually you may have the attributes combined with the skill to beat a blue/purple/brown/black, however that doesn't make you one.

Blue's should be able to explain (What is the goal, where are my limbs, where is my weight, etc) and be able to apply the basic positions (closed/half guard, side, back, mount, kneeride) against other blue belts of comparable attributes.

Ability to explain the basic submissions (armbar, triangle, kimura, americana, omoplata, guillotine, cross choke, rnc, arm triangle, footlock), basic sweeps (hipbump, scissor, hookflip)/guard passes breaks (double under, knee slice, single under, torrendo), escapes from mount/side/back.

Demonstrate and apply 2 basic takedowns of their choice, as well as the sprawl.

Demonstrate headlock escapes, standing guillotine defense, posture control from guard, standing in base, getting to the clinch while blocking punches.

You should be able to do gi and nogi. It sounds like a lot, but welcome to the world of grappling you gotta know ****.

I do agree with JNP assessment that they should have an area of strength. I would apply that later down the line to include a preferred guard, and a working knowledge of all guards but not the ability to use them. Only the ability to pass and defend.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 3:51pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    However I would say solid grasp implies you're able to pull off those techniques against people of those same belt level with comparative athleticism and size.

I would say that that you should be held to an individual and community wide standard. What I mean is that individually you may have the attributes combined with the skill to beat a blue/purple/brown/black, however that doesn't make you one.
    Not sure what this means exactly. The community standard part I mean. If I can consistently make techniques work against you and we're relatively the same size and age, what is missing from my qualification to graduate to purple?

Also nobody mentions the ability to teach technique or strategy - would you consider that part of the equation?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 4:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Not sure what this means exactly. The community standard part I mean. If I can consistently make techniques work against you and we're relatively the same size and age, what is missing from my qualification to graduate to purple?

Also nobody mentions the ability to teach technique or strategy - would you consider that part of the equation?
    I would consider it part of the equation for purples.

You have to be technically comparable across the board in all positions against multiple purples of similar attributes from other schools. No true blue belt should be able to win in all positions against a purple of comparable attributes.

I pull guard on certain brown belts and can sweep them and tap them with guillotines or ankle locks, this does not make me a brown belt. I can't consistently hold side/mount/back on them. The difference is at all aspects can I consistently hold my own from a technical standpoint? No.

You could consistently beat me for reasons other than attribute and skill, certain stylistic/technical aspects are in your favor perhaps.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2011 6:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you like a comparison to our SAMBO belt requirements?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast