Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 2:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The art of blending

Hi,

So I got me - finally, and through the sacrifice of my last monetary assets - a fine electric blender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	341px-ElectricBlender.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	12018

What are healthy shakes, cremes, and quarks that I can make with it?

I'm looking for bully-proof high-protein shakes and meals,
    and, as always, feel that google is not to be trusted. ;)

Thank you very much,

Rafe

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know much about making 'healthy' things in my blender, but I do know a lot about getting a lot of protein into my blender while minimizing the terrible terrible tastes.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And that you do how...? :)

Seriously, I'm a blender virgin, and rather shocked at its enormous... Size.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6oz cup of greek yogurt
    6 oz of milk
    6 oz of old-fashioned oats
    6 oz of frozen berries
    1 tsp of ground flax seeds

Blend everything. The frozen fruit can be tough to blend sometimes, so I usually blend the milk and berries first, then add everything else.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go on kickapoo

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to use peanuts (or peanut butter, but I know you aren't from America and I'm not sure how available organic peanut butter is in your locale. I would avoid using stuff like Skippy if you can help it, I prefer organic) to add some flavor to otherwise bland protein shakes. It helps deal with the nastier tasting powders and adds something good (extra protein+good taste=happy Hiro) to the better tasting powders.

If you don't have a protein powder, I would sincerely recommend you invest in some. It helps you on days you can't get in all your meals. I would avoid Muscle Milk (just to name a big name you may be drawn to) as there are much better choices available to you (in terms of protein per serving. The taste is great) and there's a lot of fat to be had in it.

For the sake of comparison, a GNC brand protein powder I have offers 60g protein at 280 calories total with 1g of fat. Muscle Milk offers 32g protein at 300 calories and 12g of fat. Do the math.

I would avoid fruity powders as they don't tend to mix well with other flavors. Chocolate and vanilla are all I'll buy. Vanilla mixes really well with yogurts and fruits and chocolate is...chocolate. Add peanut butter and you'll have a reese's peanut butter shake you won't have to feel terrible about.

That being said, I always use milk in recipes even where it says to use water. The extra calories and protein add up if you have two or three a day.

EDIT: Also, this doesn't involve a blender, but chocolate milk is a good post-workout drink if you can't make it to a blender. Nesquick Reduced Fat chocolate milk is pretty good if you need storebought.

POST-EDIT EDIT: You won't see me use anything like oats or flax seeds or anything in my shakes because I have an issue with textures. If you want to go for it, more power to you.
    Last edited by Kickapoo; 2/18/2011 3:31pm at .
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid