--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mantis Boxing Trapping Drill

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 8:49pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So M.Dasrargo, what are your thoughts on the combative application of patty-cake?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    drills like these have their place, but i think you will find that around here, people are more interested in drills that have more aliveness (as opposed to dead pattern drilling.)

if you have videos of drills that are done in an alive manner, people will generally be more receptive to them. if you have video of sparring, then even better. footage of lei tai fights would, of course, be the best, because the lei tai is where you find out what schools are really training kung fu.

here's a blog post that explains what i mean by aliveness, in case you're not familiar with matt thornton. http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/200...aliveness.html
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 1:39am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any trapping that isn't crap? I've never seen it pulled off when someone is going hard anyone got any video?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 7:44am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know you aren't in YMAS right? Oh and yes, you have seen trapping pulled off. Just like I tell everyone, stop looking at things from a chun or Kungfu choreographed perspective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 11:27am

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recourse View Post
    Is there any trapping that isn't crap? I've never seen it pulled off when someone is going hard anyone got any video?
    When a BJJ stylist has you tied up to setup for a submission, they're using 'trapping'. When a Thai boxer has you in the Plum clinch, they're using 'trapping'. I'm too lazy to post videos, so use your imagination.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aero_ View Post
    When a BJJ stylist has you tied up to setup for a submission, they're using 'trapping'. When a Thai boxer has you in the Plum clinch, they're using 'trapping'. I'm too lazy to post videos, so use your imagination.
    no, they aren't. in those examples they are using BJJ and the plum clinch respectively.

i *think* what you're trying to say is that some principles of trapping are similar to the principles of BJJ and the plum clinch, and that someone who has studied an art that included trapping might be able to apply those principles if they were training in BJJ or MT.

if that's indeed what you're trying to say, then my response would be: maybe, but it's kind of a stretch, and you're trying to use examples from respected arts to legitimize sub-optimal training methods. how much BJJ and MT have you done (and i'm not talking about stuff done in your JKD classes, i mean actually going to train at a full time MT or BJJ gym?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 8:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mantis Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMmmmmm...patty cakes.

patty cake drills, much like forms, are designed to embody the cadence and principles of traditional fighting styles. They don't teach fighting.

much like this doesn't teach fighting

Continuity drills are good for:
    -warming up
    -developing quickness
    -developing slip-jab like cadence.

The key is to extrapolate the techniques into various training methods including feeder drills, reflex development etc.

Here's some patty cake with feeder drill samples we did for a Chinese New Year demo (feeders start at 30 sec):
    Last edited by M.Dasargo; 2/18/2011 8:53pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ Ming
    Thanks for the support breda. I come to expect critical feedback, so sall bueno. Bein' a Chinese Fighting Arts guy, our stuff is too "corrupt" to be called traditional kung fu, and too obscure to be considered effective by the fight community.

The continuity drill we do rarely, but it's demo season. This stuff is more Kung Fooey than this

and this

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 8:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Effectiveness of trapping

Trapping is prolly the worst word used to describe the principle.

Simply put:
    Striking = striking through the holes in the opponents guard/defenses.
    Trapping = removing obstructions from and/or creating striking lanes.

Sakuraba, nate diaz, and others use "cat paw", which in Mantis Boxing is considered "feng shou: seal hand". When you're arm swims/pummels through a clinch or grab, it is considered "lou shou: leaking hand".

So trapping doesn't look as textbook as the drills, but it is used intuitively.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast