Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 1:05pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    What about an actual BSA knife?
    http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=products&c2=CAMPING &C3=KNIVES&C4=&LV=3&item=24079&prodid=24079^8^01RT L&
    I don't have experience with BSA knives other than the Swiss Army I mentioned. Not sure who manufactures their simple knives or what the quality / durability factor is. They look overpriced in the BSA literature we get. Do you have any experience with them?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    How long is the blade on the EVO?
    The EVO jr. blade is 2.75 in. The regular one is 3.43 in.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 1:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really. I still have mine form when I was a cub scout but I never really used it very roughly.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 3:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got something like this when I was around 8 years old.

That's the traditional Finnish scout's knife. I never managed to cut myself with it.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Kershaw 5300, 'bout ten bucks, 2" blade.
    Listen to JNP or ChenPengFi---get something sturdy and cheap--like this Kershaw or a folding Buck knife. Kids are hard on these things and would likely lose it/drop it in a heartbeat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 9:26pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ran a Cutlery World for about 10 years, and went through this pretty often. That little Kershaw is a good choice, or any similar small lightweight lockback. I strongly recommend the lightweights because they tend to have much lighter spring tension than the heavier models, so kids won't have to struggle to close them. They also tend to be a lot less expensive for the average everyday types (unless you get into Al Mar, Cold Steel, etc). Look at Schrade, Gerber, Kershaw, etc. For a kid just learning to use and sharpen a knife, I'd actually stay away from Buck. The steel they use is kind of hard and brittle, which makes it hold a decent edge, but less forgiving than some of the others, and can be tougher to sharpen too.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 11:43pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Kershaw Chive is a small 2" and durable. If your child is mature enough (my 10 year old girl is not ready for any knife!) it comes with a spring loaded blade with locking saftey mechanism. I do like the previous suggestions of a kinfe that has a release on the side opposite the balde to close the knife. Here is another option available at walmart for less than 30$ if your child is ready for this particular knife. Given a child's propensity to abuse and push a knife or anything to the limits I would personally avoid the cheapest option available where ever you go unless you end up in a specialty shop.

Reviews of the Kershaw Chive:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGgb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGgb...eature=related

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 5:10am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A quick note in case it matters to anyone:

I have had two small Leatherman tools in the late 90s, I think the model name was “Micra,” and the small blade came unbelievably sharp from the factory. A sharp knife is a safe knife, but only if you know ahead of time how sharp the knife is.

I had occasion to use it on a stubborn banana when I was 14...the top of the banana was sliced off before I knew it and I'd gone much too deep into my finger. There was no permanent damage, but I honestly don't know why that cut stopped bleeding. The leverage I had on a blade that small probably had a lot to do with it, but bear in mind that your son might get more cutting ability than you expect with a small Leatherman.

Whatever you do, don't buy him one of those old school “Case” knives. Case, and just about every other old manufacturer of that style, is owned by a company that couldn't care less about quality.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 9:36am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like the Chive is what we'll go with - multiple good reviews from you guys, plus I own the Scallion and love it. Kershaw makes the right quality/price knife for us.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I'll take him shopping this weekend.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly, my son recently turned 8 and I bought him a knife for his birthday. He's been using a little two-blade folding knife for a while. I taught him how to use it properly and I let him carry it in his pocket when he's not at school.

For his birthday, I decided to step it up a bit. I bought him a Benchmade Mini Dejavoo. Is it overkill for an eight-year old. Yeah, I guess. Screw it, though. Kids are way more capable of learning proper handling of dangerous things than most people give them credit for.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast