Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you guys need to do is get jobs where bruises are acceptable.

Just kidding, but really, no one blinked twice at my bruises or cuts when I was a mover or a steel worker.

I don't often make it to boxing anymore so I don't see much point in me owning headgear. When I did go, I didn't often wear it because I never saw much point to it. When I was still regularly boxing and not just going occasionally as a hobbyist I was six foot one and weighed around 155 pounds. I didn't really get punched all that much with the reach advantage and when I did it never really bothered me too much, it's all a part of the game.

Now, if you're a heavyweight and regularly spar other heavyweights, then yeah, your noggin is probably getting banged around a lot more then mine was, and your answer may be different.

As to the whole pulling punches against an opponent who doesn't wear headgear: why? I doubt they asked you to. Don't blame your own morals on someone's choice.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kickapoo, he was talking about kicks. I do the same thing. Sparring sessions are real short if you round kick someone without headgear right in the head.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I can see the relevance from a hobbyist point of view, but couldn't that lead to a bad habit where you underestimate headkicks in a competition setting?

Again, obviously I'm a boxer so I'm not sure. I'm seriously asking.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    Well, I can see the relevance from a hobbyist point of view, but couldn't that lead to a bad habit where you underestimate headkicks in a competition setting?
    Wearing headgear doesn't really encourage you to take kicks to the head; they can still hurt and I've been dropped by a lead roundhouse kick to the jaw while I was wearing headgear.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 4:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Wearing headgear doesn't really encourage you to take kicks to the head; they can still hurt and I've been dropped by a lead roundhouse kick to the jaw while I was wearing headgear.
    Oh no, I'm sure they do still suck. When I was still a wee lad and we had TKD sparring even the mechanically incorrect kicks could still smart through the veritable suit of foam-dipped armor we had to wear.

Again, I'm deferring to you guys here. I haven't kicked anything in near on 5 years.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Not necesaarily. The 250 is not an exact number and HIC is based on probabilities and percentages. For example car air bags in America need to reduce the HIC in car crashes to below 700 to get and "acceptable rating". A score of 700 apparently equates to a 5% chance of a serious, irreversible brain injury. It would be possible for a punch for a HIC score 80 or even 50 to knock someone out, give the a concssion, or even kill them, it just isn't as likely.

The 250 number is based on doctors recommendations that amateur athletes should not subjected to impacts resulting in HIC scores over 250 in any sport, boxing, american football, etc.

What the study and the 250 numbers don't adequately address, is repeated impacts. Do five hits with a HIC score of 50 equal one with 250? Probably not. Are five 50's better or worse than one 250, no one really knows.
    Right ho. Yes, I'd be interested in cumulative findings. I've been told that headguards lessen peripheral vision and encourage over-confidence, without diminishing brain trauma. This study might contradict the latter, but it's not conclusive.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    2/20/2011 7:23pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yup, it's mostly to avoid the potentially catastrophic consequences of a head kick to the face, on your face. Shin/instep pads just don't prevent the face FUBARing that boxing gloves do at full contact; hence headgear. Can still get KOed; you just get face-fractured.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 8:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, regardless of the studies regarding diminishing brain trauma, guys at least appear to be able to take more damage with headgear than without it.

Personally, I've taken headkicks in comps that I feel would have put me down if I weren't wearing it.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/21/2011 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Well, regardless of the studies regarding diminishing brain trauma, guys at least appear to be able to take more damage with headgear than without it.

Personally, I've taken headkicks in comps that I feel would have put me down if I weren't wearing it.
    There's a new model, the 'Filipovic', which is made of titanium, and is about three feet wide.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone is concerned with not someday looking gross as **** should consider headgear for preventing cauliflower ear alone. Cuts and bruises are sexy and add character. Cauliflower ear makes you look like an atavistic mutant.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast