Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 2:15pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Wearing headgear is smart if you clinch at all - it'll protect you from headbutts, cauliflower ear, Velcro abrasions, and the aforementioned popped eardrum. It also helps if you're sparring hard. Getting gear that fits properly is vital, otherwise you'll be constantly adjusting it and it will distract and irritate you.

Sidebar - I've had my eardrum burst by a fairly light hook that was timed just right. No big deal, no permanent damage, but it wouldn't have happened if I was wearing gear.
    What he said. It doesn't help much with concussive force, but at harder contact and with clinch work, it can prevent cuts, abrasions and otherwise face-uglification. I have also had my eardrum burst, at a TD no less, from a pretty light shot sans head gear. Like tao, no permanent issues, but wouldn't have happened with headgear.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMHO if you box seriously, you should have some headgear as part of your training gear. If you have it, why not wear it? My boxing headgear fits great and breathes well compared to the crappy dipped foam headgear I used to have.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the study: EFFECTIVENESS OF BOXING HEADGEAR FOR LIMITING INJURY:

Based on the current effort,
    the currently designed headgear and
    gloves are effective in reducing the risk
    of injury.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 9:20pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find any benefit offered by wearing headgear is offset by your partner's perception that you are wearing a cushion on your head and thus can be hit as hard as they can throw a punch.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 9:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I find any benefit offered by wearing headgear is offset by your partner's perception that you are wearing a cushion on your head and thus can be hit as hard as they can throw a punch.
    Sometimes your partner is supposed to be doing that.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    Sometimes your partner is supposed to be doing that.
    Depends how often you compete in full contact competition. Getting a concussion or a broken nose in training in no way helps me.

Also, why do you find headgear to be useful for clinch work? Wearing headgear and clinching is one of the most frustrating things I've ever done.
    Last edited by Sang; 2/16/2011 10:22pm at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agreed. clinching in headgear is fucking retarded anyway because i never fight in headgear, and you're never going to fight in headgear in teh streetz. if you seriously wear it to prevent **** like abrasions on your neck from gloves, perhaps a sport like darts or softball would be preferable.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly cause elbows cut and I have to go to work in the morning, and in my profession, having face cuts and abrasions is not professional and rather frowned upon.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 11:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbows can be trained with elbow pads on to avoid cutting, abrasions can be avoided by not using gloves or handwraps. In fact, most abrasions you get in the clinch are on the neck. Wearing headgear in no way stops this. I've had one abrasion on my face in 3+ years of doing MT without headgear.
    Kenny Weldon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 11:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai clinch is NOT equal to boxing clinch. Head butts happen way more in boxing because you aren't holding anyone's head.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast