Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just How Far Do You Run?

Hi,

I've never been much of a runner, but I set myself a new years resolution of running my first 10k (about 6 miles). I'm running once a week, and slowly increasing my distance at the moment i'm at about 4 miles.

Its no huge feet compared to my friends, but I'm interested in hearing how far others run.

We all understand cardios vastly important in martial arts, I've seen guys tapping out clearly less skilled oppinonts simply because of lack of cardio.

So I'm particulary interested in those running purely to improve martial arts cardio.

How far do you run?

Sam

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 1:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's great you've set a goal and are working steadily towards it. Are you stretching your calves to prevent shin splints?

I run about 3min on the elliptical at the gym before I go do something else due to boredom. Jan. 1st a big hungover I did HIIT for about 25 min, felt great. In the summer I do intervals on rollerblades and hill sprints.

Tell me, what is the difference between aerobic endurance and anaerobic endurance?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 1:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only run if something is chasing me. And then only if I'm certain that I don't have a 50/50 chance of killing it in a fight. I hate to run.

That being said I find that my BJJ cardio is improved more by grabbing 3-4 fresh partners and rolling three minute rounds with them one after the other. Best recipe for more Martial Arts cardio is generally More Martial Arts.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of disagree with Kintanon. If you really want good fight/MMA cardio, it's most important to simulate heart rate increase/drop.

Your body is very good at adjusting to whatever you throw at it, and the reason people tend to burn out in a fight is the things being thrown at your body are unpredictable. You are striking, then grappling, then clinching/resting against the cage, then striking again, then circling. So your BPM goes 100, 150, 125, 90, 100, 125, and this causes exhaustion.

To simulate this, I do sprint intervals. Prior to my fight, I was doing sprint intervals twice a week and as a result, I could do 10x3min rounds of live sparring without collapsing like a flan in the cupboard.

Sprinting 40's with 10 second rests, and then taking a minute break between sets is a good way to practice jumping your heart rate around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 2:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    I kind of disagree with Kintanon. If you really want good fight/MMA cardio, it's most important to simulate heart rate increase/drop.

Your body is very good at adjusting to whatever you throw at it, and the reason people tend to burn out in a fight is the things being thrown at your body are unpredictable. You are striking, then grappling, then clinching/resting against the cage, then striking again, then circling. So your BPM goes 100, 150, 125, 90, 100, 125, and this causes exhaustion.

To simulate this, I do sprint intervals. Prior to my fight, I was doing sprint intervals twice a week and as a result, I could do 10x3min rounds of live sparring without collapsing like a flan in the cupboard.

Sprinting 40's with 10 second rests, and then taking a minute break between sets is a good way to practice jumping your heart rate around.
    I agree with your principle, but not your methodology. "Fight Gone Bad" style workouts are a better tool for that in my opinion. Do a minute of grappling, a minute of standup, then a bunch of burpees or sprawl work, then heavybag work for a minute, then shoot takedowns for a minute, then standup again, then back to grappling. Include a rest interval in there that you can randomly hit as well.
    Set your intervals up for random times between 30 seconds and 2 minutes, have your trainer shout out your new exercise and go. It's much more sport specific and I think does a better job of preparing you than running does.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 2:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the bathroom
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 2:37pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 to 4 times a week. 3 miles.

It was 4 to 5 times a week but I'm doing a Lunch time Trad JJ Class on Friday at work.

I should be going further and faster but have other concerns. It's basic Foundation/Conditioning.

It was freezing in December so I got some strange looks but it had to be done...

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 miles at least once a week, trying to hit 3 times on good weeks. I'm hitting around 26 minutes, including limping and cramp-walking, and my heart rate settles in around 175.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 3:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not suggesting that you do my sprint routine entirely in the stead of "Fight Gone Bad" drills, but your hatred of running doesn't preclude it from being a good way to build cardio. I hate to run, but it still works, just as long as it's the right kind of running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are focused on improving your cardio so you can fight better, Kintanon definitely has the correct. Sport specific exercises are more efficient than just general running. Gabetuno's method is also a great way to improve your cardio though, so if you fancy running outside AND you want to improve your fight cardio, sprints are the way to go.

However, lots of people run because they enjoy it. I fit into that category. I mostly just jog on sunny days for the hell of it. I go until I get tired, then I jog home. It's usually between 1-2 hours.

For fight cardio I spar the **** outta everyone in my club until I'm exhausted :)
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast