My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kazimer View Post
    Yeah I will be the first to admit that it looks like I am wearing ballerina shoes when i put the white socks on with my vibrams. Too bad many things come down to the looks

I guess it all comes to the command climate. What may CPTs were able to get away with at 3HBCT 3ID may not happen anywhere else in the Army. I remember one of buddies looked at the BC and asked him if he wanted to run his company. If not then stay out of his policy letters or fire him. (It was also a time when the Army really needed captains so he had a bit of bargaining power lol)

If any Captains feel like taking a career nosedive they can take that issue up with JAG, Vibram's don't violate any policy and therefore cannot be banned. Its honestly a fight that is not worth fighting especially since there are shoes like Nike Free and the others named in this thread
    Keep in mind Bragg is full of Type A personalities. I've told pretty much everyone up to a one star that I would chuck them out a window! Hell I've told a MAJ that he was a little man I would snap his neck then skull **** him so he needs to watch is mouth. I would have never gotten away with that in TRADOC. (Don't get me stared with TRADOC. I was an XO there an it was literally one of the worst times I've had in the Army)
    I plan on going to JSOC, they have a pretty awesome commo unit that i have wanted to join since 2005. They are finally accepting my MOS 24A so I am jumping on the chance

I am waiting until the end of this deployment to attend selection in 2012. I am not airborne either but the position requires that I volunteer for it so I will go back to benning
    DAMN went FA already!!! I beat FA's with a stick!!!
    Seriously though definitely go for it my last BC (25A like me) was in charge of the unit and it was a sweet gig.

would you recommend living on post or off? (have 1 kid and a wife)
    Depends on how old your kid is. The schools on base have been a little bit better than the schools off base. I have a teenager and what ever you do DO NOT LET THEM GO TO EE SMITH! Read this over and over again! If you do make sure your kid claims their gang affliction early! (Now when you get her you will hear a lot about how EE Smith is changing and that the Deputy sent his daughter there. **** THAT BS! My daughter is friends with his daughter and lets just say we need to discuss that in person. My girl is a 4.0 student his not so much)

Other than that On base Officer housing isn't that bad. I live on base and its been OK BUT you tend to go home with people you work with. The drawback to living off post is fighting traffic coming in and leaving base and it will get much worse in the coming months.

Again GO AIRBORNE BEFORE YOU GET HERE!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 1:31am

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    You should get some Army docs, podiatrists, to submit reports on how such footwear as FiveFingers are anything but detrimental. The military can be pretty retarded but this is a silly issue, banning PT footwear. It's not like soldiers are trying to wear these:
    Attachment 12080
    Actually, I do wear those when I run in civvies. They do get weird looks. :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 1:09am

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Keep in mind Bragg is full of Type A personalities. I've told pretty much everyone up to a one star that I would chuck them out a window! Hell I've told a MAJ that he was a little man I would snap his neck then skull **** him so he needs to watch is mouth. I would have never gotten away with that in TRADOC. (Don't get me stared with TRADOC. I was an XO there an it was literally one of the worst times I've had in the Army)
    haha that is awesome. Being on Division staff again is quickly bringing out my Type A personality. I havent gone as far as you have but its getting close. I would probably be viewed as a chihuahua barking at a pitbull at times considering my small stature

DAMN went FA already!!! I beat FA's with a stick!!!
    Seriously though definitely go for it my last BC (25A like me) was in charge of the unit and it was a sweet gig.
    yeah i had to get out of the regular officer stuff early on. i was a 21A at first and they stonewalled me the start. I even volunteered for a MiTT straight out of the basic course lol and was told NO. So far I am loving the FA route. Hopefully everything pans out with getting into this unit. I wont have to deal with as much big Army politics then

Depends on how old your kid is. The schools on base have been a little bit better than the schools off base. I have a teenager and what ever you do DO NOT LET THEM GO TO EE SMITH! Read this over and over again! If you do make sure your kid claims their gang affliction early! (Now when you get her you will hear a lot about how EE Smith is changing and that the Deputy sent his daughter there. **** THAT BS! My daughter is friends with his daughter and lets just say we need to discuss that in person. My girl is a 4.0 student his not so much)

Other than that On base Officer housing isn't that bad. I live on base and its been OK BUT you tend to go home with people you work with. The drawback to living off post is fighting traffic coming in and leaving base and it will get much worse in the coming months.

Again GO AIRBORNE BEFORE YOU GET HERE!!!
    my daughter is 8, sounds like that school has the same reputation as Hawaii schools in general lol

we live on base in Hawaii and so far its pretty awesome, we got a brand new house and its kind of set in a very low key area so I dont see many of my co-workers in the neighborhood

I am definitely planning to go airborne, its a requirement for acceptance into the unit. lol i wouldnt dream of showing up at bragg as a leg

oh forgot to ask: are you at division or one of the brigades?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Division.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    update
    this is a link to our policy letter (on our commercial site) signed by the CG on the issue of Alternative Running Shoes (Vibrams and the like)

its a direct pdf, but I suspect other units will have something similar until there is an official Army stance

http://www.25idl.army.mil/PT/policyletter18.pdf

bottom line: 3 hour class by certified fitness trainer that will teach proper prose running. i think we are actually issued a pass since we can wear the vibrams without socks in uniform

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 3:18am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kazimer View Post
    update
    this is a link to our policy letter (on our commercial site) signed by the CG on the issue of Alternative Running Shoes (Vibrams and the like)

its a direct pdf, but I suspect other units will have something similar until there is an official Army stance

http://www.25idl.army.mil/PT/policyletter18.pdf

bottom line: 3 hour class by certified fitness trainer that will teach proper prose running. i think we are actually issued a pass since we can wear the vibrams without socks in uniform
    Well I hope with this new PT test and the focus on "training soldiers like athletes" will allow greater flexibility with footwear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 7:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    VFF's are banned Army-wide:
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/0...shoes-082911w/

How unfortunate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2011 9:28pm

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Yep. Soon it will be Army wide despite the benefits and its all because of LOOKS. It doesn't look professional enough. Sad but true.
    agreed, along the lines of looking good, maybe the army should consider issuing a digital camo pattern that blend's in with terrain other than a gravel parking lot, or a pt uniform that does not include a turtle-neck...I could go on and on....I bet you could to!

Posted On:
    8/31/2011 6:31am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, Merrell's barefoot running shoes are still definitely NOT banned. I've been running in them in conjunction with my post-surgery recovery, and they are pretty amazing. You miss out on the individual toe condoms, but everyone that likes VFF should at least give them a shot.

Or they could continue to complain about something that they are not going to be able to change. I'd rather adapt, personally.

PS: RE: SOCOM people running in VFF. The Regimental CSM authorized them for wear while in the gym (think boxing gloves), but not any other time in uniform. Not even for runs. And they actually banned them for wear in uniform before the rest of the Army. Just sayin', not everyone in SOCOM is flagrantly disregarding the directive.
    Last edited by Cassius; 8/31/2011 6:36am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2011 3:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen the Merrell Trail Gloves alot recently. I ended up switching to Nike Free, which is a good mix for general PT but I think when this deployment is over, I will purchase the new balance minimus. They felt exactly like my vibrams but the toes are normal.

Its interesting to hear that SOCOM has fallen in line with rest of Army on a uniform policy.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast