222348 Bullies, 4535 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 33
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Carpe Noctem is offline
    Carpe Noctem's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Too close to Flint
    Posts
    898

    Posted On:
    2/24/2011 7:01pm


     Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merrell is coming out with a "barefoot" line that look like conventional shoes. Minimal padding, wide forefoot and zero drop. And they have a Vibram sole. Looks pretty promising.
  2. Cassius is offline
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,969

    Posted On:
    2/24/2011 8:51pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    Merrell is coming out with a "barefoot" line that look like conventional shoes. Minimal padding, wide forefoot and zero drop. And they have a Vibram sole. Looks pretty promising.
    They're already out, if you happen to have a prodeal with Merrell :)
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  3. kazimer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
    Posts
    35

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 12:54am


     Style: Wrestling and Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on where you go. a company commander can write a policy letter authorizing it. just make sure to run with a billboard explaining it or you will be doing more explaining than PT as everyone will feel the need to stop and "correct you"

    i just end up changing clothes as soon as we break for PT. Cant tell me what civvies to wear
  4. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 3:00am

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    For what it's worth, healthy soldiers are good soldiers. Some of the best military in history have functioned essentially on no footwear, and without the aid of vehicles. If, as the science shows, running long distances on nearly bare feet keeps you stronger and fitter, than banning that footwear is anti-utilitarian.
    You should get some Army docs, podiatrists, to submit reports on how such footwear as FiveFingers are anything but detrimental. The military can be pretty retarded but this is a silly issue, banning PT footwear. It's not like soldiers are trying to wear these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huaraches2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	12080
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  5. ArrogantBastard is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    351

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 5:08am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's probably some stubborn fool somewhere losing sleep because I wore silly looking shoes.

    They are doing some research/testing on that new PT test, so maybe there is hope. I think one of the main things they were looking at was running related injuries; although I wouldn't be surprised if they still ban minimalist shoes Army wide anyway.
  6. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 5:19am

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    There's probably some stubborn fool somewhere losing sleep because I wore silly looking shoes.

    They are doing some research/testing on that new PT test, so maybe there is hope. I think one of the main things they were looking at was running related injuries; although I wouldn't be surprised if they still ban minimalist shoes Army wide anyway.
    Me neither. The funny thing is, though, is that PT & running in minimalist shoes strengthens the foot and ankle & this would actually REDUCE the chance of injuries.
    Not that it matters, the military is usually in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode when it comes to damn near everything, & if you can't convince a panel of 4-stars Pentagon Generals somewhere you're not going to make any changes.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  7. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 7:26am

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kazimer View Post
    It all depends on where you go. a company commander can write a policy letter authorizing it. just make sure to run with a billboard explaining it or you will be doing more explaining than PT as everyone will feel the need to stop and "correct you"

    i just end up changing clothes as soon as we break for PT. Cant tell me what civvies to wear
    Not if a higher authority writes one banning it. He would need to get approval of the BC and he from the BDE CDR (or in my case the DIV CDR) all it takes is for one of them to say No.

    Now what is really funny is all most of SOC wears them and no one can say ****. You seen someone running down Ardennes and you can see people wanting to say something but know it won't mean ****.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  8. kazimer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
    Posts
    35

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 11:57am


     Style: Wrestling and Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Not if a higher authority writes one banning it. He would need to get approval of the BC and he from the BDE CDR (or in my case the DIV CDR) all it takes is for one of them to say No.

    Now what is really funny is all most of SOC wears them and no one can say ****. You seen someone running down Ardennes and you can see people wanting to say something but know it won't mean ****.
    If the Vibrams were a violation of DoD or Department of Army Policy then yeah they can write a policy letter specifically banning them. Fortunately the Army has no official stance on the shoes so a local commander at any level cannot ban them if you are wearing them correctly (with socks). If a BC can trump a Company commander's word that easily or willingly, then we (CPTs) will be offered another set of incentives to stay in because no one would endure a year of CPOF driving and battle captain duties for a less than rewarding company command experience...**** that noise

    yeah my unit stopped giving me **** because of the special ops guys coming to our gym wearing their vibrams (deployed right now) so i started back wearing mine

    on an unrelated note: what do you think about Ft Bragg?
    if i get selected I may end up going there for a unit but have mixed feelings about the post and the city
  9. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 3:54pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kazimer View Post
    If the Vibrams were a violation of DoD or Department of Army Policy then yeah they can write a policy letter specifically banning them. Fortunately the Army has no official stance on the shoes so a local commander at any level cannot ban them if you are wearing them correctly (with socks). If a BC can trump a Company commander's word that easily or willingly, then we (CPTs) will be offered another set of incentives to stay in because no one would endure a year of CPOF driving and battle captain duties for a less than rewarding company command experience...**** that noise
    The BC can and will over turn a Company Commanders policy. I've seen happen many times in my many years and here at Bragg is all about looks. I was sitting in Command & Staff when it was put out by the BC that they will not be worn up until then they were allowed.

    yeah my unit stopped giving me **** because of the special ops guys coming to our gym wearing their vibrams (deployed right now) so i started back wearing mine
    Yeah but it just takes one guy to put the kibosh on that and that person will more than likely not know the benefits of them just that they look funny.

    on an unrelated note: what do you think about Ft Bragg?
    if i get selected I may end up going there for a unit but have mixed feelings about the post and the city
    Bragg, like anywhere else, is what you make of it.
    First off are you Airborne? If not go to school before you get here if you can. NAP (Non Airborne Personnel aka LEG) Officers do get treated differently. If you are Airborne study up for Jumpmaster school. No matter where you end up they will push for JM if you aren't already.
    Which route are you trying to take? SF, SOC (PsyOps, Civil Affiars, Ranger Bat), or JSOC?
    Any of them are fine but try to stay out of the 82nd unless you want to get suck here. Most Officers that LOVE 82nd spent most of their career there.
    The base itself is going under some changes and its about to be HUGE.
    As far as Fayetteville goes it isn't terrible but it isn't great either. Its A LOT better than it used to be but can still be boring. However there are many good places to visit a short drive away.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  10. kazimer is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
    Posts
    35

    Posted On:
    2/25/2011 9:03pm


     Style: Wrestling and Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    The BC can and will over turn a Company Commanders policy. I've seen happen many times in my many years and here at Bragg is all about looks. I was sitting in Command & Staff when it was put out by the BC that they will not be worn up until then they were allowed.
    Yeah but it just takes one guy to put the kibosh on that and that person will more than likely not know the benefits of them just that they look funny.

    Yeah I will be the first to admit that it looks like I am wearing ballerina shoes when i put the white socks on with my vibrams. Too bad many things come down to the looks

    I guess it all comes to the command climate. What may CPTs were able to get away with at 3HBCT 3ID may not happen anywhere else in the Army. I remember one of buddies looked at the BC and asked him if he wanted to run his company. If not then stay out of his policy letters or fire him. (It was also a time when the Army really needed captains so he had a bit of bargaining power lol)

    If any Captains feel like taking a career nosedive they can take that issue up with JAG, Vibram's don't violate any policy and therefore cannot be banned. Its honestly a fight that is not worth fighting especially since there are shoes like Nike Free and the others named in this thread


    Bragg, like anywhere else, is what you make of it.
    First off are you Airborne? If not go to school before you get here if you can. NAP (Non Airborne Personnel aka LEG) Officers do get treated differently. If you are Airborne study up for Jumpmaster school. No matter where you end up they will push for JM if you aren't already.
    Which route are you trying to take? SF, SOC (PsyOps, Civil Affiars, Ranger Bat), or JSOC?
    Any of them are fine but try to stay out of the 82nd unless you want to get suck here. Most Officers that LOVE 82nd spent most of their career there.
    The base itself is going under some changes and its about to be HUGE.
    As far as Fayetteville goes it isn't terrible but it isn't great either. Its A LOT better than it used to be but can still be boring. However there are many good places to visit a short drive away.
    I plan on going to JSOC, they have a pretty awesome commo unit that i have wanted to join since 2005. They are finally accepting my MOS 24A so I am jumping on the chance

    I am waiting until the end of this deployment to attend selection in 2012. I am not airborne either but the position requires that I volunteer for it so I will go back to benning


    would you recommend living on post or off? (have 1 kid and a wife)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.