Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 3:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FiveFingers and Army Uniform Policy

I've been using FiveFingers for over a year now, and several times while in Army PT's.

Just today, someone told me that they were not allowed anymore and then blabbed on about some mass email. Obviously, I ignored said person because it wasn't banned in my unit's uniform policy nor does AR 670-1 ban minimalist shoes. However, I checked a little deeper on the issue and found this:

http://birthdayshoes.com/u-s-army-ou...m-five-fingers

According to this information, they may have been banned in TRADOC. Apparently this means that the Army is looking deeper into minimalist shoes before making an Army-wide decision.

This will make me a very sad panda. FiveFingers are great when lifting weights and I can run in them without having my knees hurt.

Does anyone have anymore information on this?

And what is everyone's opinion on this issue? Should minimalist shoes be banned?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 12:10pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at the title to the thread and thought, "You know, we had a barracks whore we called 'Five Fingers'; I wonder how she got into a uniform discussion?" I am now sadly disappointed.

Reminiscing aside, you're asking the most conservative organization you can think of to update its policies in less than a decadal time span. Easier to ban the things than put effort into researching them. Is it right? Probably not. Will they do it and expect you to shut up and drive on? Undoubtedly.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 12:38pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that "Banned in TRADOC" does not mean banned. TRADOC is only one command of many. RUMINT says that it may soon be Army wide, however.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/15/2011 12:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, healthy soldiers are good soldiers. Some of the best military in history have functioned essentially on no footwear, and without the aid of vehicles. If, as the science shows, running long distances on nearly bare feet keeps you stronger and fitter, than banning that footwear is anti-utilitarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/16/2011 9:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Keep in mind that "Banned in TRADOC" does not mean banned. TRADOC is only one command of many. RUMINT says that it may soon be Army wide, however.
    Yep. Soon it will be Army wide despite the benefits and its all because of LOOKS. It doesn't look professional enough. Sad but true.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 4:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Yep. Soon it will be Army wide despite the benefits and its all because of LOOKS. It doesn't look professional enough. Sad but true.
    Unfortunately.

I'm gonna try out these in the mean time: http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteCon...=Print-Kinvara

I'm using Nike Free's as my "regular" running shoe and they aren't cutting it. I was also thinking about getting Mizuno Wave 3, but they might be classified as running flats, which may also be banned in potential regulation changes.

Too many people, with too much time, having too many "great ideas"...that tend to ruin my fun.

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 7:59am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why you'd get those Sauconys over the Frees, those have a lot more padding than the 5.0 and 3.0 (the least cushion of the Frees).

I read somewhere that the Air Force just authorized the Vibrams for PT.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/17/2011 8:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vivo Barefoot do minimal shoes that look like normal trainers:
    http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/evo-1162.html/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 4:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I don't know why you'd get those Sauconys over the Frees, those have a lot more padding than the 5.0 and 3.0 (the least cushion of the Frees).

I read somewhere that the Air Force just authorized the Vibrams for PT.
    I don't know what it is, but the Frees aren't very comfortable. The gravel everywhere doesn't help either (it gets stuck easily in the outsoles).

The Sauconys don't have all those crevices and apparently have a lower difference in forefoot/heal height. So despite having a little more cushioning, it may facilitate a gait similar to FiveFingers.

Posted On:
    2/18/2011 10:14am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well here's the thing, if you really want to do barefoot style running without actually going barefoot, just get a pair of aqua shoes. I keep a pair like these in my trunk in case I forget my regular shoes and still want to go to the gym:

You could probably get away with them too, as long as they're not too obviously styled. And you can get most of them for less than $20.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast