Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2011 11:04pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok maybe this helps maybe it doesn't. The Chaos website states Scott won the 2/6/2010 New England Naga competition Super Heavy Weight Expert Division. I went to Naga and looked at the results of the tourney and this is accurate he defeated Matt Santos. It lists Scott's affiliation as Nova Uniao.

Ryron Gracie is also conducting a seminar at the Chaos Gym on June 4th, this is the second seminar he has conducted there in a year. Would a Gracie like Ryron conduct a seminar at a gym if credenials were questionable??

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 1:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Couple points or counter points I guess. The Gracie sight only shows people who are currently active in that Gracie organization, They don't even have the Gracies listed. Carlos and Renzo Gracie all have their own schools that don't even fall under the Gracie university. If he's not claiming to be an affiliated school then there's nothing wrong in stating you studied somewhere, if it's truth. 2 The site states he won the 2009/ 2010 NAGA New England black belt division expert classes and there's pictures up on the site showing this as valid. Ok he lost to Demente.... but who hasn't?? He's competing against other "legit" black belts and beating them, if that doesn't make you blackbelt level what does? Third Ryron Gracie a 5th dan BB who old a proffessor certificate from Helio himself is conducting a full day seminar there on June 4th, Ryron himself helped found the Gracie university (where Scott Lewis is not listed) I wouldn't believe if there was an issue here that Ryron would conduct a seminar there for the second time in a year. Third I (and this is only my personal opinion) believe that at some point people go their seperate paths. Who gave Bruce Lee his BB in Jeet Kun Do? yo get my point..... At some point you tweak things and make them your own. If Matt Hughes (who is not ranked) and left the Millitech fighting system camp, Today said I'm founding the Hughes Jui Jitsu school and made himself a black belt do you really think anyone would argue. Lineage at some point when something gets popular ends up branching and branching and branching, Here's Eddie Bravo's lineage--
    Mitsuyo "Count Koma" MaedaCarlos Gracie, Sr.Carlos Gracie, Jr.Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo....now look at all the crazy **** they're doing out at 10th planet. My advise to you is if you like the guy and you are learning, then train with him. I will train and try to learn from anyone I feel has knowledge to impart to me blue, purple, brown, black... Muay Tai, BJJ, Arnis, Kempo, Wrestling, Kendo, Akido, Judo whatever.

Finally think of it this way in the Army we never ask someone that is a top notch marksman/ sniper. hey man who taught you to shoot?? We just accept the fact that the dude can put rounds down range effectively. It doesnt matter WHO taught him how to perform at a high level all that matters is that he DOES and does it consistently.....just my two cents

WHITE BELT FOR LIFE!!!

For the record, I was not questioning his or his students ability. I was questioning his self promotion. I think its a little decieving for potential students to claim a BB in BJJ when that BB is self appointed.

Does anyone know how to reach out to Ryron Gracie and get his opinion on the matter?

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 1:15pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok maybe this helps maybe it doesn't. The Chaos website states Scott won the 2/6/2010 New England Naga competition Super Heavy Weight Expert Division. I went to Naga and looked at the results of the tourney and this is accurate he defeated Matt Santos. It lists Scott's affiliation as Nova Uniao.

Ryron Gracie is also conducting a seminar at the Chaos Gym on June 4th, this is the second seminar he has conducted there in a year. Would a Gracie like Ryron conduct a seminar at a gym if credenials were questionable??
    The Scott Lewis from Nova Uniao is a different Scott Lewis.

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I did not question if he was a good competitor. I question his BB status in the eyes of the BJJ community. I think it's a lil decieving to potential students to claim a BB in BJJ, which is prestigous in my eyes, if it was not awarded to you by another BB.

Does anyone know how to reach out to Ryron Gracie on this matter?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2011 10:10pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    The Scott Lewis from Nova Uniao is a different Scott Lewis.
    I'm not sure it is you missed my meaning.

The Scott Lewis from Chaos BJJ (the one your asking about) states on his website he defeated Matt Santos at Naga in 2010. I went to the Naga site and the results for that EXACT competion show a Scott Lewis affiliated with Nova Uniao.
    http://nagafighter.com/index.php?mod...detailpage/147#

I know what your questioning, Im trying to help steer you in the right direction to do research. If the Chaos BJJ Scott Lewis claimed affiliation with Nova Uniao when he entered the tourney maybe that is where he got his BB and you can verify it through them. It was just a thought. I wans't implying him being a good competitor made him a black belt I was trying to add information for you to track leads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2011 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Does anyone know how to reach out to Ryron Gracie on this matter?
    try twitter.
    @RyronGracie
    @GracieBrothers

Posted On:
    10/04/2011 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes Scott Lewis of Chaos NH is a self appointed Black Belt. Yes he has appointed Black Belts under him. He is not associated with Wagnney Fabiano. He did beat Mat Santos at a NAGA tournament. Scott has been training for a long time. i have known him for many years. He used to come train with us as a Blue Belt and a Purple Belt. One time a couple of weeks after a seminar he showed up at with 4 stripes on his purple (the seminar he had none) then a couple months later he showed up as a brown. Daniel Gracie came about 2 months later to do a seminar and was wearing a purple belt no stripes. I saw him teaching a few months later and he was a Black Belt. He stated that his BJJ was so good that he deserved to be a black belt. This is a running joke in NH, ask any legit schools. Renzo Gracie NH,
    Team Link, Gracie Barra NH all with legit Black belts they will laugh. He has had Rener up to Chaos and wears his Black belt, I really don't think they care just want the seminar money. He is/was listed on the Gracie University as an unverified Black belt. Total scam!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 11:57am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @freakzilla-do you know if his blue and purple belts are legit or if they are self-appointed? Do you have any correspondance wherein he states he deserves to be a BJJ BB or was it just first person? I am not doubting here, it is just a bunch easier for investigation purposes if it is on video or in a way that is easily documented.

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sure his Blue belts and purple belts are promoted by him. Does that make him legit? I am not sure, Eddie Bravo will let a blue promote to blue so in that case yes. If you mean by a self promoted black belt than no.
    I have no documentation about that statement. It is what it is. It doesn't affect me as I don't train with him. He attended seminars at the school I train at. That's it. Like I said it is a running joke in NH about his self promotion.
    The best way is ask him who he got his Black Belt from. If he doesn't answer then you know it is true. If he gives a name then ask them. It is pretty easy.
    Good luck

Posted On:
    10/05/2011 9:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I also wondered this about 3 years ago when I first metScott. I found that his training wasamazing and I wanted to understand his lineage. I didn’t know him very well at that point and I heard that he trained atthe Gracie Academy so I emailed them directly. Ryron was kind enough to respond to me directly and let me know that hehad been promoted to Brown Belt (maybe 2nd degree?) at the Academyand spoke very fond of him as a person and instructor. I felt good about this communication andsigned up to train with him month to month after that. He has always been open and honest in myexperience and doesn’t hide the fact that he put on his Black belt when the timewas right. He’s a kind person, full oflove, respect and knowledge and does an amazing job with his students. I’ve known many of his students for years nowand they’ve won tournaments (Male and Female and Scott included if that evenmatters…some of the toughest people and best instructors I know don’t evenparticipate in tournaments) and are a tight group of well-respected citizensfrom all walks of life in NH. They areall legit! I would highly recommendScott and his program. I’ve also seenScott roll with other Black Belts and have been to Ryron seminars and seenother students that come from that lineage. They’ve all been amazing.

I’d also like to address some of the sarcastic or harshcomments that reference making jokes about other people. We all live in glass houses don’t we? I’vehad the opportunity to train with many instructors and schools here in NH &MA and have sat in to observe even more. I’m happy to say that there are many fine instructors and schools in thearea, but there are also others that are probably the same commenting on thischain with their own flaws that turn my stomach. I’ve experienced shady instructors that seemmore like sleaze ball sales people (vs. real Martial Artists) that anyone withany real world professional experience will see right through, pyramid scheme typeprogram behavior, lower ranking belts teaching most of the classes, demandsthat you purchase their house gi’s, overcharging, crazy contracts at some ofthe large chains….I’ve seen them take big $ from students all kinds of seminarsfrom different BJJ or MMA personalities….(I’ve paid for some of them myselfunfortunately! They didn’t compare towhat Ryron and Scott put on) you name it’s going on but there’s no need to dragpeople through the mud here.

The bottom line is that people should train with whoeverhelps them get better and works with them to meet their goals. My experience with Scott Lewis has been thathe would give the shirt off of his back for his students and considers themfamily. Anyone training with him orunder him should be proud to be associated with him. He’s a great BJJ Instructor.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast